Hotel near airport?

cruisecat4

Hi, my husband and I will be returning to San Diego from a cruise in late January. Prices are crazy for direct flights from there for the time being plus our son lives in California so the plan is that he will pick us up in San Diego and drive us up to Long Beach where we will catch a nice direct flight on Jet Blue the next day. Love Jet Blue and love the little Long Beach airport!

So question is, where would be the best place to stay overnight? Would like someplace nice, conveniant to some good places to eat and not far from the Long Beach airport. I have read all of the posts on here and see that the downtown hotels are recommended but I notice that they seem to charge for parking, even for my son who will just be there for the day......I would really like someplace where it is not a production to go out and get the car to go out to eat; but I know there are some rough areas in Long Beach and do not want to stay in one of those. So, nice area, near airport, a nice place to eat nearby. Suggestions?

Archived