Newcastle to Harwich on the Spirit

The last time Spirit was in the UK the repositioning cruise included free coach transport back to the departure port. I see the info on the Thomson site does not mention free transfers?

ps if you enter cruise from the uk, Spirit, 1-6 days the cruise will appear.

We joined the ship the day it arrived in Harwich after the one-night repositioning cruise last time Spirit was in the UK. I like to enjoy myself and have no objections to people having a good time but would say that it appeared to be a booze cruise on a mammoth scale!

As we drove into Harwich we saw cars stopped at the road side coming away from the port with people throwing up - the crew said it had been a horrendous night - and lots of cleaning up.

Not being judgemental - just to say that it may not be typical of a usual cruise and for the unprepared it could be a turn off and perhaps not a good idea for a 'taster' in terms of being representative of a cruise. For others a great opportunity! :D

We are on the repositioning cruise from Cyprus to Newcastle in April 2012 on the Spirit. We are offered free tranport to our departure airport.

Sue

Hi Sue

We're still coming as well.:p Did you see there are apparently only 6 seats left on the plane.:eek: I thought we were the only ones going as no-one else has owned up. Looking at the price now I think we got a good deal by booking early.:D AI doesn't interest us but it was there so a bonus when they now want £850:eek:.

Off 6 weeks today on IE for the first time. Have meant to do it for years before Thomson's took it over.

Jan:)

Hi Sue

We're still coming as well.:p Did you see there are apparently only 6 seats left on the plane.:eek: I thought we were the only ones going as no-one else has owned up. Looking at the price now I think we got a good deal by booking early.:D AI doesn't interest us but it was there so a bonus when they now want £850:eek:.

Off 6 weeks today on IE for the first time. Have meant to do it for years before Thomson's took it over.

Jan - I wasn't knocking repositioning cruises - we've done several (usually about 9-13 days in length) and they are no different from any other cruise in our experience. We did one on Celebration in April/May and it was great.

The one I was commenting on is a 1-nighter which is hardly a cruise - just a good night out! And as such I was just pointing out that I'm not sure it gives anyone who is new to cruising a realistic idea of what a cruise is really like.

Enjoy your trip - I'm sure you will. :)

Jan - I wasn't knocking repositioning cruises - we've done several (usually about 9-13 days in length) and they are no different from any other cruise in our experience. We did one on Celebration in April/May and it was great.

The one I was commenting on is a 1-nighter which is hardly a cruise - just a good night out! And as such I was just pointing out that I'm not sure it gives anyone who is new to cruising a realistic idea of what a cruise is really like.

Enjoy your trip - I'm sure you will. :)

Hi kruseeka

Think we've got crossed wires. I was replying to goonersue.:eek:

I couldn't be bothered packing for one night and agree nobody could get a proper idea about cruising in such a short time.:(

Since DH retired he will not go anywhere for less than 14 days and I'm very happy to join him. I usually do the research, booking etc. and then just ask him to cough up anyway. Brilliant arrangement. It's like when we go out - he drives there I drive back.:D

Hi kruseeka

Since DH retired he will not go anywhere for less than 14 days and I'm very happy to join him. I usually do the research, booking etc. and then just ask him to cough up anyway. Brilliant arrangement. It's like when we go out - he drives there I drive back.:D

No probs Jan - just didn't want you to think I was having a go at anyone. ;)

But as for your philosophy re cruising - you clearly take after my own heart. 14 days is my cup of tea too. It takes me about a week to think, pack, think, unpack, think and be ready to go then of course there's the washing when you get back! :eek: So going for longer suits me. All that effort - but isn't it great? :D

I just love the planning and research - not a bad retirement hobby! ;)

Hi kruzseeka

We were spoilt in 2007 when we had a three month holiday going via Singapore to New Zealand and back via Sydney and Bangkok. It took us a long time to settle down to "normal" holidays and it is only this upcoming one in six weeks time on IE that I am looking forward to. The others, although we have enjoyed every minute of them, have been basically "we must have a holiday" but without the usual excitement. Couldn't be bothered with 7 + 7. Packing and unpacking is bad enough on run up to holidays.

Decisions re packing, unpacking etc. I've already started.:eek: Washing/ironing urghhh. and as for those who want a launderette onboard.:confused: Holidays are for enjoying. Ships are air conditioned so clothes can be recycled. Rinse underwear in sink at bedtime, roll in towel and squeeze excess water out, then hang in shower 'til morning.:D

ps. How's your weather? It's been like November up here on the east coast for the last few days. I've had the heating on for short periods since the weekend and yesterday it actually kicked in first thing in the morning although it was set down low.:eek:

Hi Jan

I thought there weren't many seats left, as my OH wanted to book extra leg room seats, and when i asked the TA last week, I was told that they were all gone, and the flight was nearly full.

As far as cost is concerned. I must admit that we have treated ourselves to a deluxe cabin with bath etc. - 205, but I costed it the other day, and even with online discount they wanted about £4500. Before TA discount and deposit, ours was only £3254.

Our next one is the one we are going on then, as we are going to DisneylandParis at the beginning of April. We are taking our grand daughter and her mum and partner. We went at the beginning of the year, and I think I enjoyed it more than the little one!

Sue

Hi Sue

Just been looking at deck plan. We will give you a knock on the window as we take our umpteenth walk round the decks. I will also know where to come if I want a bath after a long day on shore.:cool:

We are right in the middle on deck 3. On line Thomson wanted £2734 including cabin fee. CruiseDeals £2532. Both with free AI which is of no consequence to us as I don't drink at all and DH only beer. Today T want £3154 and drinks package is £850.:eek::eek: I booked with CD.;)

First time we have ever booked so far in advance and definitely got a good deal. Never paid so little for so much.:D

Hi Sue

Let's give you a few clues before I tell you.:eek:

Approx 50 miles from you. As you set off for Glasgow on 24th we will wait at the nearest layby and hop in as you come down the Forfar Road, which is roughly 4 miles from our house.:D

Any ideas?

Jan :)

Hi kruzseeka

We were spoilt in 2007 when we had a three month holiday going via Singapore to New Zealand and back via Sydney and Bangkok. It took us a long time to settle down to "normal" holidays and it is only this upcoming one in six weeks time on IE that I am looking forward to. The others, although we have enjoyed every minute of them, have been basically "we must have a holiday" but without the usual excitement. Couldn't be bothered with 7 + 7. Packing and unpacking is bad enough on run up to holidays.

Decisions re packing, unpacking etc. I've already started. Washing/ironing urghhh. and as for those who want a launderette onboard. Holidays are for enjoying. Ships are air conditioned so clothes can be recycled. Rinse underwear in sink at bedtime, roll in towel and squeeze excess water out, then hang in shower 'til morning.:D

ps. How's your weather? It's been like November up here on the east coast for the last few days. I've had the heating on for short periods since the weekend and yesterday it actually kicked in first thing in the morning although it was set down low.:eek:

Wow! What a fantastic trip, Jan! No wonder it's hard to match that for excitement. I'd love to go to the Far East sometime but not sure whether we'll ever do it.

Weather here has been very mixed this summer - lovely early season (April/May) but very variable since. Just no settled summer weather. Odd days have reminded us of what we used to think of as 'summer' but many days have been spoilt by very strong winds (sand doing a pretty good job of exfoliation!! :eek: ) and we've had much more rain than we would normally expect - to say nothing of floods a couple of weeks ago. I just feel sorry for those with families when it's not fit to get on the beach. We just take advantage of good days when they come - yesterday was beautiful - today we've glimpsed the sun for about 15 minutes! At least we haven't had to resort to the heating - yet! :rolleyes:

On a brighter note - have a great trip Jan ;)

Hi kruzseeka

Yes, we had a marvellous time. Lucky because my cousin has lived there since mid '60s and he took us all over the place. We started in the North Island and he took us everywhere the first month. The second month we hired a car and stopped in motels (just as cheap as campervans) which had laundry/cooking facilities on the South Island. He left us and went back home to the South Island and left us to our own devices. There was not much we didn't see from top to bottom, north, south, east and west and all bits in between.:D

Singapore we enjoyed on the way out and were lucky enough to go back in 2009 when we did the repo on OV2 which was being rebranded and put to Australia. Sydney and Bangkok were just as enjoyable.

I know what you mean about sand. The beach is just half a mile from where we live and families flock to it from all around in good weather. The only thing is when the weather is bad it is bleak. We are surrounded by links golf courses (Carnoustie, St. Andrews etc.) so are never far from the stuff.

Will take you comments on board about having a great trip. There are actually a few places we have managed to miss in the past and a couple we have been to many moons ago. So, all in all, it should be good.:D

At the moment (not sure how long it is applicable for though) , you can get free parking at either Harwich or Newcastle and a free coach transfer with Leger to either port from your car. I.e Park in Harwich for free.. free coach up to Newcastle and then cruise back.

Prices starts at £99.. and just a £35 deposit.

Thanks everyone, I've now found the cruise and am sorely tempted, particularly as the date coincides with my 40th birthday, I'd love to try a suite, however if the cruise is one big drunken vomit-fest I'm not sure that I'll like it. Don't get me wrong, I can drink with the best of them, but I wouldn't want to do this and have it spoiled by drunken idiots.....what to do!?

Archived