Best place to eat on Caye Calker?

Melismass

We are taking the water taxi to Caye Caulker the week of September 11th! Anybody have a suggestion on a nice place to have lunch? Also, I have heard mixed reviews on the snorkeling at the split. Is it interesting? Anything else we should be sure to see while we are there?

We went to Caulker this past January during our cruisestop. Ate lunch at the bar/restaurant at the split (think it was called The Lazy Lizard). The food was good & inexpensive. I had some grilled fish, wife had lobster (it was already removed from the tail, and I think seasoned with garlic butter); kids had fried shrim - the closest thing they had to chicken nuggets. I wouldn't hesitate to eat there again, it was a very enjoyable meal.

On the way back to the water taxi, I also grabbed a kebob that an old guy was cooking on a grill; think I paid a couple of bucks for it & it was very tasty.

Hello,

We will be in Belize in January and wondering how easy/difficult it is to catch the water taxi to Caye Caulker? How was your experience with it, and do you have any tips?

Thanks!

When we were there this past January we had no problems at all, travelling with my wife and our 2 sons (age 7 & 5 at the time). There are 2 companies that run water taxis back & forth; their departure times are typically staggered a little, so if you miss the boat at one company it will likely be best to go with the other company, whose next departure will be sooner than the one you missed. Cost is similar - when we went it was $10 US each way (kids were half-price), with a small discount (a couple of dollars iirc) if you buy a round trip ticket when departing from Belize City. We did NOT buy the round trip - because of our timing/scheduling, it was better for us to go over with one & return with the other.

San Pedro Express is one of the companies; their office & dock are right next to the Tourism Village (where you'll arrive on the tender from your cruiseship). Just exit the TV, turn left, and go into the courtyard of the first building you come to (you can see SPE's office from the village, but they are separated by a chainlink fence).

Caye Caulker Water Taxi Association is the other company; their office/dock is a little further down past SPE - maybe a few minutes walk, right before the "swing bridge."

Their schedules are available online. I'd suggest exiting your cruiseship as early as possible, with the schedules in hand. Then go over with whichever taxi co has the next scheduled departure. Buy just a oneway ticket so you can return with whichever company has a return boat next when you're ready to come back.

It's about an hour, maybe 75 minutes, each way. It is vital that you leave yourself sufficient time to get back in time to catch a ride back to your ship - you don't want a nice picture of your cruiseship as it sails off without you.

We loved it & will almost surely do it again next time we stop there on a cruise. In fact, we might end up doing a landbased trip there, bouncing between Caulker & Ambergris.

Rainbow Cafe was closed, so we ate at Rose's yesterday, and this was one of the best meals I have had in Belize ever. Snorkeling at the split doesn't have the reef, but the water is beautiful, the food is good, the drinks are excellent. I may have to go back again next week. I have been trying to upload pictures, but I am having difficulty. Could be because I am in Belize. I will try again later, but wanted to answer your questions.

Janice

Rainbow Cafe was closed, so we ate at Rose's yesterday, and this was one of the best meals I have had in Belize ever. Snorkeling at the split doesn't have the reef, but the water is beautiful, the food is good, the drinks are excellent. I may have to go back again next week. I have been trying to upload pictures, but I am having difficulty. Could be because I am in Belize. I will try again later, but wanted to answer your questions.

Janice

Do you live in Belize? I live in San Pedro.

• 1 month later...
If our ship is in port from 8-5 and it takes an hour each way to get to Caye Caulker, how much time can we really expect on the island? Is it worth the trip?

Not enough time...I did the trip to Caye Caulker a few years back on the Valor and fell in love. returned a few times. Now I have been in San Pedro for three years...

You will have enough time to see the village and or swim at the split. Have a cold Beer. The boat ride can be ok if the weather is good and not to crowded.

Not enough time...I did the trip to Caye Caulker a few years back on the Valor and fell in love. returned a few times. Now I have been in San Pedro for three years...

You will have enough time to see the village and or swim at the split. Have a cold Beer. The boat ride can be ok if the weather is good and not to crowded.

So Wade, would you recommend not going at all? We might not get off the ship at all if Caye Caulker is not an option. Not interested in cave tubing or seeing ruins but was excited to visit Caye Caulker.

So Wade, would you recommend not going at all? We might not get off the ship at all if Caye Caulker is not an option. Not interested in cave tubing or seeing ruins but was excited to visit Caye Caulker.

Go go go, you will love it.the time does pass quickly. You will have a great time...

Do you have to have reservations to get the water taxi or do you just show up? How do we get to the water taxi as I would like to go visit Caye as it sounds wonderful.

You just show up. There are two water taxis. one by the Cruise Village and one a short walk to the swing bridge. I will give more info if you like but a lot is already posted.

Find the one that leaves first and buy a one way. that way you can use the other one for the return if their time works better for you.

Archived