Dive in Nassau, Key West, or Cococay??

adh27

My husband would love to do a dive while on our cruise next week (I know, he surprised me with a last minute cruise) but he has never dived in the carribbean/bahamas and I was hoping someone who has been there done that could help us decide. We will be stopping in Nassau, Key West, and Cococay and I would like to know which of these spots has the best diving. Also, if anyone has any recommendations for independent operators at these sites I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you for your help!

I'm a diver who has been to all 3 places, but did not dive any of them. But since you've gotten no responses yet, I'll tell you what I do know.

Key West - Most popular dive site is the Vandenberg wreck, but the only coral reef in the continental US stretches down the Keys, so you could dive that as well. - Unlike most of the caribbean, most dive ops don't automatically put a dive master/guide in the water with you - you'll pay extra if you want a guide.

Nassau - Of your 3 choices, this is probably the best place to dive with a healthy, colorful reef and lots of large fish/wildlife to see. Stuart Cove's is the best known dive op there and get's good reviews. Good reef dives, wall dives, and even planned shark dives.

CocoCay - This is more of a "kick-back and relax" private island, but I think the cruise lines do offer scuba excursions. No choices here - if you want to dive it will be with the cruise line, but it's certainly not a bad place to dive.

Check your itineraries and make sure you can coordinate dive times with the local shops in KW and Nassau, or plan to do the ship excursions if you prefer.

Have fun and enjoy your cruise.

Regarding Freeport, I couldn't give you any more info than you could find on Google. There are good forums on scubaboard that may be helpful.

For a long time, I thought there was a place in Nassau called Stuart's Cove, but Stuart Cove is actually the name of the person that owns the business. :)

Regarding Freeport, I couldn't give you any more info than you could find on Google. There are good forums on scubaboard that may be helpful.

For a long time, I thought there was a place in Nassau called Stuart's Cove, but Stuart Cove is actually the name of the person that owns the business. :)

http://www.stuartcove.com/

I can vouch for an outstanding snorkel trip.

Did your husband dive any? I was there and dove at Stuart Cove's and Coco Cay...snorkeled in Key West (during the 9/5/11 cruise on Majesty). Too bad RCCL didn't schedule a dive in KW. Stuart Cove's dive shop was really great...a highlight of my trip! Coco Cay was very murky the day we were there...with jellies.

I have lots of dives in Key West and Nassau.

In Nassau Stuart Cove has the best operation on the island no one else is even close. They are on the other side of the island and your port times may not fit their schedule. They do offer free transport to and from the port.

Key West: I see the Vandenberg was mentioned here. I did two outstanding dives on that wreck last month. We were on the Fascination and redirected to Key West due to hurricane Irene and with very good luck found a shop going to that wreck the morning I was there. You do need to be at least AOW certified for this dive.

If you are diving only one port I would recommend Key West just because there are so many options for any of skill level. Captains Corner on Green Street very near the downtown port is who I use 305-296-8865.

Unless you want a shark dive then Stuart Cove`s place has an excellant offering I highly recommend. :D

Have a wonderful safe cruise.

• 1 month later...
Did your husband dive any? I was there and dove at Stuart Cove's and Coco Cay...snorkeled in Key West (during the 9/5/11 cruise on Majesty). Too bad RCCL didn't schedule a dive in KW. Stuart Cove's dive shop was really great...a highlight of my trip! Coco Cay was very murky the day we were there...with jellies.

Other than the murkiness and jelliefish, did he think the dive was worth it? My husband is debating whether it is worth bringing his equipment to diver there on our December Monarch cruise.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have dove in Nassau, Freeport, and Coco Cay, not Key West. Key West first: the wreck dives are usually deeper dives and if u r not using Nitrox, I wouldn't dive in Key West. Last time the ships time didn't match up with the dive schedules of the dive shop. Ships are gone before sunset and don't arrive until too late for the morning dive.

Nassau: I have dove with Stuart's Cove multiple times and I think it is hit or miss. The price is way too high for what u get except for maybe the shark dive. One time they put 8 of us on a 6 person dive boat. No where to sit except the edge of the boat. Another time they told everyone to descend, I did, and no one came down for 10 mins. I could see them at the top and kept thinking should I ascend, but I didn't. We didn't even get to the wall that dive that time also the radio was broken and the boat captain didn't even bring his cell phone.

I did have a couple of good dive trips with S.Cove though and if I was bringing someone that had not been diving in Nassau, I would do it again.

Freeport diving was great. The dive master showed us many small things I would have missed otherwise. I went with the ship excursion. Many of the islands I book on my own as they let you dive your computer not 20-25 mins per dive.

DO GO to the Daquari Shack if you get a chance in Nassau. I take the bus for a buck 25 each way. The use fresh fruit and you can get a double shot for the price of a single shot. I don't get the double shot as it is way too strong for me.

Hope this helps!

Archived