Celebrity (Summit/Millenium/Century) vs. HAL Zuiderdam

Anthony327

Posted on HAL, but thought it should be here too. Would like to know if where HAL was better, if Celebrity has changed in the past 2 years (I.e. Waffle Cones & OJ).

Took Alaska Inside Passage August 13-20 and thought I'd give my thoughts as someone who has sailed 3X's with Celebrity in the past (Summit, Millenium & Century).

Family 49, 48, 18 & 15. Also had MIL 68 and there were two other friends with family on the cruise.

Of course a lot was me comparing the ships as a friend organized this cruise and we were always happy and comfortable with Celebrity.

I like Celebrity more, but certainly some things with the Zuiderdam were better and thought a quick review may help some.

1. The Ship - I found the Zuiderdam non-descript, Celebrity Ships (and these are older ones) much nicer and cleaner, with Art and a more ornate look. Saw someone at the muster drill photographing an ashtray filled to the brim with cigarette butts on day one (never cleaned)

2. Rooms - six of one, half dozen of the other. Apreciated new flat screens on Zuiderdam (last Celebrity cruise was 2009, so don't know if they have been updated), and the DVD Player and free movies (though we did not order). Good choice on TV for most part and a clear picture. Had issues with Celebrity and their sattelites in the past.

3. Spa Pool not as nice as Celebrity. I think it was included with Celebrity and the cost on HAL I think is ridiculous ($100/wk).

4. Spa is small and a little hard to navigate, but the towels and robes are very nice.

5. Gym is terrible - Old machines (particularly the Eliptical Trainers & Bikes). Weights also old. TV's not on every machine and couldn't find the input for headphones. Fortunately great running track on deck 3 and I listen to podcasts and enjoyed the sites (i.e. Glacier Bay).

6. Food - Some good/some bad/some indifferent. Loved the Waffles/Strawberries and fresh whipped cream on Celebrity and was worried HAL did not do it, which they do. Fresh OJ at breakfast wonderful, which Celebrity does not do. Great Burgers/Fries (well above average when you are considering that this is a large ship). Desserts again are always hit and miss. The cookies are terrible, mousses , ice cream (with waffle cones) too along with Bread Pudding, pecan squares and pies very good. Some good cakes. No afternoon tea in the buffet like Celebrity does. Also liked the Celebrity Spa cuisine. Disliked the As You Wish Dining as service was uneven (never a wait for a seat though), and didn't get to know waiters. Food was okay to good, nothing outstanding. Free capuccinos after dinner. Ate in the Pinnacle Grill, which is just below Ruth's Chris & Mortons, but very enjoyable and a fair price. I think Murano (Celebrity is better).

7. Shopping limited

8. Crowd may have been even older then Celebrity so a quiet ship.

9. Activities a little subdued. Liked the cooking and some others, but nothing for an active younger crowd. Kids programs okay (our's are at the age where kids programs don't matter).

10. Drink prices fair and a Happy Hour.

11. Saw a few shows and liked them.

Just a few observations. If you have questions let me know.

Archived