infant=2yr and under or just under 2yr?

L2C57

Looking at carnival's excursions, some say "infants free". Otherwise, "kids" were about the same $ as adults on many. My son will be just over 2yr, so is he considered an infant or a child by carnival standards?

Per Carnival, infant is anyone up until 2 years of age. After 2 they are considered a "child" and charged tips, etc. Their sail and sign will no longer say INFT in front of the name it will say master or misses

So you are saying infants are not charged tips?

On Carnival, that is correct. Gratuities are not automatically added for passengers under the age of two. Other lines, I'm not sure.

On the OT: I'm having some weirdness: DS/DD will be 2YO before boarding, but when a fake book any excursion (where they meet the minimum age) they show at the adult price rather than the child price, but with no button to add them to the reservation.

Is that yet another quirk in the CCL IT systems since they are not currently 2YO, but will be before sailing?

On Carnival, that is correct. Gratuities are not automatically added for passengers under the age of two. Other lines, I'm not sure.

On the OT: I'm having some weirdness: DS/DD will be 2YO before boarding, but when a fake book any excursion (where they meet the minimum age) they show at the adult price rather than the child price, but with no button to add them to the reservation.

Is that yet another quirk in the CCL IT systems since they are not currently 2YO, but will be before sailing?

As far as I know the price is the same for a 2 year old or an adult. I booked my 2 year old grandson with me in my cabin and was charged the full price. If he went with his parents in their cabin the charge would have been about $800 for him as the third person.

Correct anyone under age 2 is not charged a tip. If they are age 2 on or before sailing they are automatically charged tips. As far as cabin price they are charged as 3rd or 4th person rate which is about half of the adult fare. It is the same regardless of age. The grandparent who stated her grandson was charged full price is because he was the 2nd person in the cabin. Carnival charges by number of people not ages. 1st/2nd higher rate, 3rd/4th lower rate. It would have been financially wiser to book him under his parents cabin and then just let him stay in grandma's cabin

Correct anyone under age 2 is not charged a tip. If they are age 2 on or before sailing they are automatically charged tips. As far as cabin price they are charged as 3rd or 4th person rate which is about half of the adult fare. It is the same regardless of age. The grandparent who stated her grandson was charged full price is because he was the 2nd person in the cabin. Carnival charges by number of people not ages. 1st/2nd higher rate, 3rd/4th lower rate. It would have been financially wiser to book him under his parents cabin and then just let him stay in grandma's cabin

In my case it was cheaper for me to book him in my cabin. I would have had to pay the 200% single supplement as a solo plus another 800 for him as a 3rd person in his parents cabin. (he will be staying most of the time in his parents cabin)

As far as I know the price is the same for a 2 year old or an adult. I booked my 2 year old grandson with me in my cabin and was charged the full price. If he went with his parents in their cabin the charge would have been about $800 for him as the third person.

Correct. I was talking about excursions. With Carnival:

• Infant are sometimes free, apparently "infant" being under the age of 2
  • An infant who is not free is priced as a child
  • Child prices are under the age of ??, but may or may not be less than the adult price
  • The above 2 prices subject to the minimum age requirement for the excursion

My issue is that the CCL website will not let me book my kids on any legal excursion that I've tried, even though they'll be 2 before sailing.

For excursions on Carnival, "Infants Free" means kids ages 3 and younger are free as long as they sit on a parent's lap (in the bus, cab, etc.) I saw that in the actual excursion booklet available on the ship, and on my last cruise, I purposely booked excusions with "Infants Free" because my son as 2.5 at the time, so no charge for him.

Found the below on Carnival's website in the FAQ section:

Are there any children's prices for shore excursions?

Yes. Some excursions offer children’s prices for ages 4 through 12 and teen prices for children 13 through 18. Infants ages 3 and younger sitting on a parent’s lap and therefore not occupying a seat, are not charged for most shore excursions. These excursions are indicated with the "Infants Free" advisory. There are also some shore excursions that require that each guest purchase a ticket, regardless of age. This will be noted in the specific shore excursion’s description. If a parent would like their infant to occupy a seat, where it is not required, then the parent must purchase an excursion ticket for the infant at the published excursion price or child price, where available. Parents are also responsible for bringing a safety seat for their child if required.

In my case it was cheaper for me to book him in my cabin. I would have had to pay the 200% single supplement as a solo plus another 800 for him as a 3rd person in his parents cabin. (he will be staying most of the time in his parents cabin)

I understand now, makes perfect sense;)

gaylemh - That's what we did too. Our Oct cruise is Mom, Dad, DD, and grandma and we planned on 2 rooms. Since DH and I are both past cruisers, we split in the two rooms to get a better rate.

Grandma will stay alone mostly but DH and her are on one booking. DD and I are in the other. This way we're helping Grandma out - instead of her paying the full 200% to be solo, we're paying the amount that it would have cost to put DD in our room as the 3rd passenger. She's getting a bit of a price break by doing it different on paper and giving her the past cruiser discount.

As for excursions - we're only considering those for 1 yr and up and where infants are free or HIGHLY reduced. This has really reduced the options, but that's the breaks. I'm not paying full price for my infant to go along on something - there's no sense. She's not going to eat, really use facilities, take up a seat, etc. All she will do is breathe the available air and I refuse to pay for that! :) hehe

Archived