casual dinner nights EXPLORER OF THE SEAS

I see plenty of people in the dining room on casual nights in jeans so you have nothing to worry about. The truth is that the cruise lines are basically afraid to enforce the dress codes for fear of losing potential repeat passengers.

In all of my cruises with RCI I have not seen more than 1 or 2 people each cruise wearing jeans. They used to say no jeans in their brochures but this is no longer written however, rarely do people wear them. They state slacks for men and I don't think jeans fit that category since most people refer to them as jeans not slacks.

Now people, please, do not get technical and ask what they are if not slacks because you all know that they are not referred to as slacks but as jeans.

Cindy ;)

The following expectation can be found on RCI’s Web Page:

(http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/lifeOnboardFaq.do;jsessionid=00003r7uyfPObwi9-KWfJ3UFI4U:v2mocc7o#8)

What are the dress codes onboard?

There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal. Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women

Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

3 to 4-night cruises include one formal night and two or three casual nights.

5 - nights include one formal, one smart casual and three casual nights.

7-night cruises include two formal nights, one smart casual night and four casual nights.

10, 11, and 12-night cruises include three formal nights and three smart casual nights, all other nights are casual.

14 and 15-night cruises include three formal nights and four smart casual nights. All other nights are casual.

We appreciate your usual parental guidance and cooperation in observing these easy guidelines with your children.

We are first time cruisers and I am having a very difficult time figuring out what my husband will wear to dinner each night. He will wear a tux for formal nights but I just can't believe that "casual" doesn't include dressy men's shorts. He is a very well dressed man but honestly he tends to wear nice collared shirts and nice polished dress shorts to dinner when we go out to dinner at home or vacations (in the summer).

He own's only a couple pair of true "slacks" as dress is very casual at his office and jeans and nice shorts are acceptable for work. I get that people will wear whatever they want and he could certainly "get away" with it.... but that is not what he would want. Do other men not wear this look at all on cruises??? It is such a popular summer look for men and one that is certainly well put together and not at all sloppy.

Please share your thoughts:o

I vote for keeping the jeans and the shorts out of the dining room, no matter the age of the cruiser, or the dress code at their place of employment. The level of service, the atmosphere, and the menu should give you an indication of the way you should dress. If they served burgers and pizza, jeans and shorts would be OK.....but you are getting a multiple-course meal with 2 very attentive waiters per table, linens & china, and glitzy surroundings.

Anyone who refuses to dress up (even a little) for dinner should eat in the one of the more casual alternatives, IMO.:cool:

good luck, darling... you have stumbled upon probably the MOST fiercely debated topic on these boards.

Personally, I feel that jeans are best left out of the dining room, as are shorts (even nice ones). The no jeans is a long-standing tradition and the no shorts is a published RCI rule. Just follow the published dress code and you will be fine.

He doesn't need to bring that many clothes for a 7 nite cruise. My husband takes 2 pairs of Dockers & 2 or 3 Polo shirts. The 1st nite you can wear most anything since many fly the same day. Then you have 2 Formal nites. That leaves 4 Casual Nites.

Gao;

Archived