Help with Cabin choice

1951Mom

First time cruise ... waited too long to book ... so not much choice... being offered a suite at the front of the ship or the front on the side. I read somewhere that the front was not very good because can be rough. Any advice... or take something smaller and in better location? 3 adults and we need a little room :). Thanks for any help.

We have had cabins in the front, the middle and aft of the ship. I have never really felt any difference accept in the aft cabin when the ship is steaming at full speed. It tends to be a little bumpy, but nothing that made me or the wife sick. The ships today have great stabilizers that dampen out a lot of the motion. But everyone's sensitivity to motion is different.

If you have, or think you have a sensitive stomach, I'd suggest something mid ship for a 1st cruise, if nothing more than peace of mind. Then when you are on board and under way, find an area at the front of the ship. Evaluate the "ride" and determine if you would like a cabin that far forward. Then move to an area aft of the ship and make the same evaluation. Then find an area mid ship and do the same. Make note of the sea conditions when making these evaluations. This will give you an idea as to cabin location for your next cruise.

My favorite cabin is an aft with balcony. Really great sitting out there, drinking a nice glass of wine, and watching the trail of the ship in the water. Our absolute favorite cabins are aft corner - especially if they have a wrap-around balcony. We had one of those for a Panama Canal sailing. Awesome viewing of the canal.

I think the only big factor for us choosing a cabin location is to get one away from the elevators. That area tends to be noisy when groups of people are waiting for or get off an elevator.

Happy sailing!

So far all I've ever stayed in are midship cabins. I tend to get seasick, but have never done so on a cruise (knock on wood). I'm sure partly because I take the seasick meds the ship has and eat lots of food! The other part might be staying midship. However, when I'm in the theater or a dining room (which both are usually forward or aft), I never have a problem. I just know I'll always take the meds as a precaution.

Going from an inside midship to a balcony midship on my next cruise and I'm so excited about that! Maybe one day I'll go balcony aft!

With all that being said, now I'm wondering if I even need to take the meds???:confused: Maybe only if the seas get a little rough... Not sure I want to take a chance and find out though. I look too forward to cruising to feel bad while I'm on one...

Enjoy........

First time cruise ... waited too long to book ... so not much choice... being offered a suite at the front of the ship or the front on the side. I read somewhere that the front was not very good because can be rough. Any advice... or take something smaller and in better location? 3 adults and we need a little room :). Thanks for any help.

I may be in the minority, but I prefer the front balcony suites. I've sailed in them many times, and never found them to be any "rougher" than anywhere else on the ship (although if you are concerned about motion, the best location is midships down low).

The only drawback to the front facing balconies is that they can be windy, since you have the speed of the ship added to any windspeed over the bow.

The front balcony suites have by far the biggest balconies on most of the ships, and I love the view at any time.

As for 3 adults, you didn't mention which ship you're looking at, but most of the front facing suites will have a double bed (which can be two twins if you want) and the pull out sofa bed. That will be about the same as the side facing suites, but if you can get a corner front suite, you might have slightly more square footage. Again, it depends on the ship.

Thank you for all for your insights and information.... much appreciated. I went ahead and booked one of the suites in the very front. Won't know until we try it and I can not imagine any cabin on a ship going to the Caribbean can be all that bad. But will check others out while on the ship for next time. Thank you all again for taking the time to help.

What ship and what itinerary/ports of calls? I have stayed in the front penthouse during particular itineraries and loved it...sometimes the ports of call are all right near each other so the ship is not traveling at high speeds...so wind not an issue many times...

coka

There's a section on cruiseadvice dot org that helps with cabin selection. I found it very helpful. It lists each ship seperately.

Just looked at this site. Thanks. Some good tips on specific cabin numbers to avoid and some that are much better.

Archived