My 2011 Thomson Destiny video review is now online

Hi Folks,

Slightly tongue-in-cheek and satirical in places, I've tried to make this a bit different from the video I did last year, it lasts half an hour from start to finish and features most of the public areas of the ship as well as a thorough cabin review of a deck 3 outside cabin.

Cheers!:D

Click here to see the Thomson Destiny 2011 video review

Thanks for posting that. As a keen videographer myself it's a tidy bit of editing... :)

How do the cabins on Destiny compare to Spirit? They looked tiny!

Also surprised to see the mains sockets were 110v rather than the standard European 220V.

Is that true on all the Thomson ships or unique to Destiny?

Really enjoyed the video, we're due to go on the Destiny on 30th December and really looking forward to it. Been on both the Celebration and Spirit and although I agree they are looking tired the atmosphere and friendly crew more than make up for that.

How do the cabins on Destiny compare to Spirit? They looked tiny!

They are! Shower cubicle is smaller than a phone box - I know 'cos I measured both when in Caribbean.:eek: Don't drop the soap - the curtain is very friendly.;)

Also surprised to see the mains sockets were 110v rather than the standard European 220V. Is that true on all the Thomson ships or unique to Destiny?

110/120V on Celebration and Spirit.

Hi Big Chik

Apart from my answers to you question re Destiny cabins - the only other problem we found was lack of storage space for clothes but with a bit of juggling we managed. Open suitcases fit under the bed.

The cabin size is the only down side but only in there to wash and sleep in.

No complaints about the rest of the ship. We have done two Transalantic Crossings from Caribbean to Palma and loved every minute of them.:)

Thanks for posting your excellent video :)- and for what I think is a very balanced review of the 'Thomson product'. Yes, the ships are older with none of the glitzy attractions of the huge ones - but there are compensations as you point out. The smaller size, atmosphere, service, excellent entertainment, warmth and friendliness is what keeps us going back.

You were rather naughty though filming the excerpts from the shows - copyright issues - but I loved seeing the reminders of some superb entertainment that we have enjoyed on Thomson.

Did anyone else, like me, think that the guy singing 'I Don't Like Mondays' looked and sounded a lot like Stephen Guy? Would be surprised if he was on the Destiny - he'd be back at work after his marriage to Sam by now I expect, but he wasn't the CD on the stage at the end of the Africa show. Perhaps it was one of his 'roving' roles - he does pay the other ships visits from time to time (to check for consistency, trouble-shooting, problem solving - whatever?). I think he's the most senior CD and has a wider-ranging brief than just staying put as CD. So I suppose it could have been a 'guest appearance'. Does anyone know where he is currently? Cue mtt - sure you'll know!!!! ;)

As for the questions and comparisons about the cabins in relation to Celebration and Spirit: Stuart did make a fair assessment of the cabins on Destiny but they are bigger on C&S and rather better looking and appointed. I don't know exactly how much bigger but in a small space like that - even a foot wider and longer can make a lot of difference in terms of how 'tight' it all feels. I think the basic cabins on C, S and Dream are significantly bigger and far less 'utility' looking than Destiny. C&S in particular have excellent storage - three sets of three drawers and two decent wardrobes. Some of the drawer space on Dream is taken up by the sofa which is useful but on balance I prefer the extra storage.

And I just hope that not too many people try your trick with the loo rolls - with a vacuum system that can be 'iffy' at the best of times - especially on C&S. All that extra, unnecesary paper going down is a tad irresponsible Stuart - but did make me smile. I'm just glad it didn't all go wrong and you suffered a 'back-flow'! :eek:

But thanks again for the video - I'm sure it will be very much appreciated by those who are going on the Destiny soon also first timers - it's gives a real feel of life on board - and for regulars it brings back happy memories. Thanks! ;)

Hi Folks,

Slightly tongue-in-cheek and satirical in places, I've tried to make this a bit different from the video I did last year, it lasts half an hour from start to finish and features most of the public areas of the ship as well as a thorough cabin review of a deck 3 outside cabin.

Cheers!:D

thank you for that, I always look forward to your videos!

we just returned on Thursday last week from destiny and it was very nice (if a tad naughty ;) ) to see snippets of the shows they did on the 'other' weeks rotation. Im glad we didnt have to see Africa yet again as we have seen it 3 times now and could probably join in with it all LOL - we got the show with the can can and wow that was a heck of a performance!

its big tall Dave - he is one of the show team and has an incredible voice.

Oh thanks Clare - he is very good isn't he? Don't think we've seen him before - some of the showteams pop up all over the Thomson ships but I don't remember coming across him - but will look forward to sometime! :)

Oh thanks Clare - he is very good isn't he? Don't think we've seen him before - some of the showteams pop up all over the Thomson ships but I don't remember coming across him - but will look forward to sometime! :)

no we hadnt seen him before either - in fact most of the team were new to us apart from marcus and possibly jade the dance captain - think Ive seen her before. They certainly all work well together and Marcus, Big tall Dave, Alex (girl singer) and Lauren were our faves. It must be quite hard on the others sharing the stage with Dave voice though - talk about powerful!

Big tall Dave and little tiny Carla from the oaklahoma lounge team are a couple. He is almost twice her height - so cute seeing them on one of our excursions walking along holding hands LOL

Thankyou so much Stuart, as first timers, we have been hoping for an indepth guide to the cabins (though perhaps not so deep, i.e your day at sea boredom plan...:eek: afraid of what my Hub. will come up with!

Keep up the good work, on the Col. Coasts Dec. 16th any others ??¿¿??

mari, lanzarote

Thanks for comments everyone, yes I realise it was 'naughty' to film the shows, but Thomson need to do more to show potential customers what to expect entertainment wise - and YouTube is littered with various bits and bobs that people have filmed on phones anyway (I know this doesn't make it right....but still).

I have some more critical observations to make of this voyage that I haven't put in the video, I'll do that via this forum later this week, and would welcome your comments on my observations when I do post them.

Also - yes I did feel a bit bad about wasting the loo roll - but I only did it twice for the footage, I thought it would add a bit of comedy value.

Stu.

Also - yes I did feel a bit bad about wasting the loo roll - but I only did it twice for the footage, I thought it would add a bit of comedy value.

Stu.

I think its hilarious and cant wait to have a go on our next voyage, just dont tell anyone I said that ;)

I have some more critical observations to make of this voyage that I haven't put in the video, I'll do that via this forum later this week, and would welcome your comments on my observations when I do post them.

Stu.

Hi Stu, Look forward to reading the rest of your observations - I do enjoy your videos and reviews which I find very fair. As you might imagine, I'll chip in with my two penn'orth!!!!! (Hopefully also balanced and fair!)

By the way, I wasn't being miserable about your jape Stu - I did smile too but having been on the wrong end of a flooded bathroom and problems with blocked toilets my concern isn't about the waste of paper but the potential to block the system - and that really isn't a joke. And what's more it may not be your loo which overflows - but someone else further along the corridor! :eek: I really wouldn't be able to raise a smile then if it was mine! ;)

hi stu thanks for doing this it has put my mind at rest, the ship does'nt look as tatty as i feared it might bearing in mind it's age. I am now more than happy to sail on her next february and the cabins don 't look too small, I'm sure we can live with them. A very fair review thanks for taking the time to do it.

Destiny cabins much smaller and have 'utility' look. Shower very cosy!

Dream cabins much more spacious and look better decoratively -shower rather bigger

Destiny Lido restaurant rather draughty - not properly enclosed. Nice seating along pool deck for lunch-times - suited to al-fresco dining - but weather dependent!

Dream has two indoor self-service restaurants.

Destiny fixed dining in the main dining room

Dream - open dining

Oklahoma and Medusa lounges similar

No Sky bar on Dream (rather nice) - all bars on same level

Seating is fixed on Dream which stops people coming in later, re-arranging seats in positions which restrict your view (there is some restriction on Dream due to pillars - but at least you know where they are when you sit down) Small point.

Other public areas similar; shops (bit bigger on Dream though) library etc similar although tend to be a bit bigger on Dream

Generally there is a sense of more space on Dream (and more bars). I can't comment on differences in gym/spa/amount of deck space etc but sure someone else can - also mention things I've forgotten.

Layout is perhaps more of a challenge on Destiny (bars etc on different levels and takes a bit of time to get used to finding your way around) but some may say that that adds to the interest!

But as far as the 'Thomson product' is concerned (entertainment, service friendliness, warmth) you can expect the same on all the ships - although we all tend to have our favourites but there is little difference except in the lay-out of the ships.

Seating is fixed on Dream which stops people coming in later, re-arranging seats in positions which restrict your view (there is some restriction on Dream due to pillars - but at least you know where they are when you sit down) Small point.

Oops! Just spotted this from my previous post - doesn't make sense since I forgot to say that this is in the show lounge. :o

I made some really awful shaky videos on dream in april :lol: they are on youtube here (turn the volume off if you dont want to here me rambling on - and on LOL) not great quality as just with my little point and shoot camera but needed to prove that it was no longer as bad as watchdog was making out just a few days before we went!

Archived