mini Valor Review 3/20

Mollypuss

I thought I would post my mini-review right away......I was always anxious to read anything on the Valor. I won't go into everything else that has been posted...just some things that stick out in my mind. This was my 3rd on Carnival, first 2 were Destiny and Triumph, so the Valor is very similar. It was not my favorite cruise, but all in all it was a good vacation.

Embarkation was a breeze and we were the 1st group of people on the ship....about noon. Cabin steward let us stick our carry-ons in the closet because our room was not ready. We ate at the Fish n Chips...upstairs in the Lido restaurant and it was excellent...the calamari, onion, zuchinni fritters were excellent.....boullibaise was tasty as well. Food at the buffet was average....I didn't like most of the desserts. A lot of layered sponge cake-mousse concoctions. The dessert station was right underneath a giant skylight and the sun was quite warm and it was beating down on the food....everything seemed to be sweating or melting in the sun....the cheesecake was always warm. The chocolate buffet wasn't that great...the chocolate tower had a very poor quality of chocolate and it was very waxy. I had a few pieces of fruit dipped in chocolate and it was like magic shell by the time I got to my table to eat it. The good side of the lido restaurants was the Chinese, pizza, grill, and deli....all excellent and I very rarely had to wait in a line. I also thought the coffee was much better this cruise and they have caraffes with half and half in them by the coffee machines. Fruit punch and lemonade was also good. The dining room food was good, not great. The lobster was terrible, but soups were always good and most of the other entrees were delicious. We ate at Scarlett's one night and to be honest, I found it to be nothing special. Our waiter in the dining room, Virgil, was the head trainer, so his service was teriffic. The staff in Scarlett's was not. They dropped bread in our lap on several occasions, the wine somalier (sp?) didn't come until several courses into my meal and then charged me for a much more expensive wine and I didn't notice until our bill came the last morning. The waitress didn't know what bernaise sauce was, and it was offered as a side sauce. The upside was that my NY strip steak was the best I have ever had.....that alone was worth the extra $25.

Our balcony cabin was wonderful...steward was great. Josh Riffe (rhymes with life)was a great cruise director...his announcements were unobtrusive and he didn't get annoying. His assistant, Calvin, was a hoot....I wish I could take him home with me. It was hard to find a bar waiter out on deck during sea days...I was along the side of the ship on deck 10 and only saw someone come by a couple of times all day.

The evening entertainment was average......they had a great comedian who had cerebral palsy and he was great....the other comedian was Eddie Capone who we had seen before and he was just okay. The 80's show was unbelievable...they had these break dancers that were awesome and they gave another little show in the atrium lobby.

One thing I noticed this ship had were mailboxes by each cabin door, so if you had something delivered, they just put it in your mailbox.

We did the canopy zipline tour in Belize and that was teriffic....very well trained people and safety was number one. We saw a zipline tour in Roatan and actually witnessed 2 people crashing into each other....a little scary! Went to Tabyana Beach in Roatan and it was a nice facility with lots of trees for shade. It was rather expensive through the ship $33/pp, but we were told that the only way to get on that beach was to book through the ship. Grand Cayman was Capt. Marvin's stingray....did that last time and were pleased again. Rented a jeep in Cozumel with another couple that were our tablemates....we had a great time w/them all week and will keep in touch often. Went to Paradise Beach.....again, nice facilities, but found the water to have a lot of seewead and was very murky. Was very frustrated that we were late getting into our 1st 3 ports, and we missed meeting up w/family that were on the Conquest when we were in GC.

Tendering in GC was terrible, lots of lines both ways. It was a very relaxing vacation, if you didn't let the 1,000 kids on board get to you.....it didn't bother me, but a LOT of people were complaining about their behavior. I think we are going to give Caribbean cruising a break for a while and save our pennies for a European cruise next summer. Please understand, this is my opinion and it really was a nice vacation. I tried to give the good and bad side of everything. Please ask away if you have any questions.

Sorry, but the Tabyana beach break did not include lunch or a drink....just a ride and a lounge chair. We also were transported by a very old school bus! Tabyana beach connects to other beaches, so if you go to Foster's resort, you can walk down to Tabyana. They do have security guards that won't let you sit in the chairs, but you can use everything else. Once back on the ship, I did talk w/a group that took Victor Bodden's tour and loved it....so you might look into that?

I forgot to mention.....debarkation was nuts. We had a later flight, so we had a leisurely breakfast, gathered our carry-on bags from our cabin, and hung out in the Ivanhoe theater. They were broadcasting GMA, so we relaxed w/our friends until about 10:15 when the crowd had died down a bit. Also, get a porter when you are gathering up your bags. We didn't have to wait in line to present our Customs Declaration form and he took us to the front of the line to get a taxi. The people waiting in line were not happy at all, but I wasn't going to turn down a taxi! He said that 'he was going to take care of us because he knew that we were going to take care of him.'.....and we did. It appeared that the security people and the porters had a relationship and I'm sure our tip was shared.

I am glad you posted Molly as my review just got lost by taking too much time.. I suppose I type too slow! Anyways I wanted to comment on a few things you mentioned. Our experience at Scarletts was great overall. Service and food quality were excellent. The dining area was a nice break from the wide-open Washington dining room.

We also did the Belize Canopy Tour - I expect we were on the same tour! Let me know if you remember 2 couples in their mid-thirties who stayed together in your tour group. I had a blast on this excursion. We also were on the Tabyana Beach and saw that zip line tour. I wondered about it. :) GC tendering was a mess. I could of handled Roatan being cut shorter just to give us a few more hours in GC. Cozumel was our favorite stop by far.

Its funny you mentioned the kids onboard. I am a father of three (3, 5 and 8 year olds) but we were kidless on the cruise! I had expected the spring-breakers but not all the kids. It was ok after all but I can tell those parents did not nearly enjoy the cruise like we did! ;)

I was on the same cruise and really enjoyed it as well. I agree with many things such as the food in the dining room. Soups were great but not very hot. My lobster was fair. I did enjoy the flourless chocolate cake, fudge cake and white and dark chocolate souffle, yum!!!! I found Scarlett's to be wonderful! I agree with the steak. I had the filet and I think it was better than what I have had at Ruth Chris, Morton's, Smith & Wollensky, etc.. I thought the service was wonderful but then again we were there while the boat was in Cozumel and there were only a few others in the restaurant. The lobster bisque was the best I have ever had! Did you travel with children. We did since it was their spring break. I am always amazed to see couples without children during spring break. Unless it is the only time you can travel, it really doesn't make sense because there are just so many of them. We, unfortunately, don't get many slow weeks to travel because of the school schedule. Last year we went on Princess and they absolutely limit the number of children. We were trying to get on the Star this year but they had already closed out my daughter's age group and we couldn't get permission, even though we are frequent cruisers with them. Not sure what we will do next year!

Did you notice on the Tabyana excursion any access to Gumbalimba park?

I can't seem to find anyone who has been there recently and I hear it is an awesome place. Just wondering!

Gee, small world - I was on that cruise, too. Still trying trying to sort through approx 1500 pictures.

I thought my lobster Monday night was great - better than any I could remember on Carnival in years.

The filet Friday night was excellent! I wouldn't rank it better than Ruth's Chris, but it was also probably the best I have ever had on Carnival. Glad I didn't eat dinner in Cozumel.

Booze wasn't included with Tabyana, but there were beverages that were - you just needed to fetch them yourself. Food was available to purchase.

We passed Gumbalibma, but not sure about access to.

At Tabyana you can purchase tickets for the canopy tour - $35 for 45 minutes. I think they said 11 stations.

The worst tendering was getting back on the ship at Grand Cayman. I had gotten in line for tender tickets about 8am and when they were handed out at 8:30am ended up with the ticket 7 group. Word must have gotten out after Belize. At Belize I had group 2. Get in line early, get your tender tickets first and then go for breakfast if you have time or have someone bring it to you in line. One person can collect up to 4 tender tickets.

Had Fried oysters a few times from the Fish and Chips restaurant. Menu didn't vary - no soft shell crab like some had gotten... :(

The worst tendering was getting back on the ship at Grand Cayman. I had gotten in line for tender tickets about 8am and when they were handed out at 8:30am ended up with the ticket 7 group. Word must have gotten out after Belize. At Belize I had group 2. Get in line early, get your tender tickets first and then go for breakfast if you have time or have someone bring it to you in line. One person can collect up to 4 tender tickets.

Do you remember how many ships were in GC the day you were there? We'll be in GC in June with 3 ships in port. Just trying to get a handle on what to expect! Thanks!

Grand Cayman was packed with, I think, 6 ships. Have a plan before you get off the ship because everything is full. The streets were pretty crowded. We didn't need to get off the ship early so we didn't bother getting tender tickets. We got off leisurely with our tender only half full. I think we missed the rush back as well since we did not have any kind of line. The most important thing about this itinerary is to be well planned before you go. This site was really great in helping me plan my excursions before I left. I didn't do anything through the boat. Go on the individual port sites and get ideas. Through the board I got the idea of horseback riding in Roatan and winding up at Foster's beach. They arranged the transportation and everything and it was great! Do not go caving with the boat! I heard that about 400 people went and the lines were horrible; the trip was also 7 hours!!!! Arrange with wet and wild or Xtreme, etc. Good luck!!!! By the way, my awesome steak was at Scarlett's, not the dining room. Although my son had it there and said it was pretty good.

Can someone tell me what time the Bon Voyage party was? I have read in the Capers that it is @ 6 PM but I thought the boat left at 4 PM. Wouldn't it make sense that the party is going on while the boat is leaving? I have 6:15 dinning time and didn't want to miss the party.

Thanks

ToniH

Do you remember how many ships were in GC the day you were there? We'll be in GC in June with 3 ships in port. Just trying to get a handle on what to expect! Thanks!

We were there with 8 ships March 24! When I was there last November, there were only 4 ships and it was a relative breeze.

Actually, I think Belize is the worst for tendering because the ships have to anchor so far out and tenders have to travel for miles.

Can someone tell me what time the Bon Voyage party was? I have read in the Capers that it is @ 6 PM but I thought the boat left at 4 PM. Wouldn't it make sense that the party is going on while the boat is leaving? I have 6:15 dinning time and didn't want to miss the party.

Thanks

ToniH

I would be suspicious of those Capers. Sail Away Party is just after Lifeboat drill - 4:30pm. Lifeboat drill was about 4pm.

Thanks for the review, Molly.

We will be leaving on the Valor (Eastern itinerary) in 54 days. I really enjoy reading the reviews and will post one upon my return.

Do you know if Carnival offers a complimentary drink at the sail away party? We are always on our balcony and miss out on the party.

Thanks!!

I know I've asked this several times..but I never get a response.

Do you know if they have the NTN trivia games in the sports bar?

Ohhhh...I would love that. As if I need another reason to hang in the bar... :D

I know I've asked this several times..but I never get a response.

Do you know if they have the NTN trivia games in the sports bar?

The Bronx Bar is the sports bar on the Valor. It was quite crowded at times during the week because of March Madness. I'm not sure what NTN trivia is....does each table have a controller and you answer trivia answers on a screen? If I'm correct then no, I did not see that...but I wasn't in there much.

I am glad you posted Molly as my review just got lost by taking too much time.. I suppose I type too slow! Anyways I wanted to comment on a few things you mentioned. Our experience at Scarletts was great overall. Service and food quality were excellent. The dining area was a nice break from the wide-open Washington dining room.

We also did the Belize Canopy Tour - I expect we were on the same tour! Let me know if you remember 2 couples in their mid-thirties who stayed together in your tour group. I had a blast on this excursion. We also were on the Tabyana Beach and saw that zip line tour. I wondered about it. :) GC tendering was a mess. I could of handled Roatan being cut shorter just to give us a few more hours in GC. Cozumel was our favorite stop by far.

Its funny you mentioned the kids onboard. I am a father of three (3, 5 and 8 year olds) but we were kidless on the cruise! I had expected the spring-breakers but not all the kids. It was ok after all but I can tell those parents did not nearly enjoy the cruise like we did! ;)

I was on the 9am Canopy tour.....I don't remember 2 couples. There were a few families....we were at the front of the bus both ways and the family in front of us had the boys that were sick and we had to stop for the older one to lose his lunch...ring any bells? We were just finishing up our tour when another group came through the cave and were suiting up. We were on the catwalk above them repelling down....we were all being silly and yelling 'don't do it'!!!

We do have a daughter that will be celebrating her first birthday next month. No way would we have brought her with us....I saw more exhausted parents pushing strollers on this cruise. I allowed a women to cut in front of us in the tender line in GC...she was alone w/a 3 month old and 3 more children under the age of 5. She had taken them to the beach by herself and looked like she wasn't going to make it. I was really angry w/the group behind me that was cursing because we allowed this women to get in line ahead of us...such a lack of compassion. We stayed w/her until she was back on the ship, giving her a hand. She was still thanking me at the end of the cruise!

Do you know if Carnival offers a complimentary drink at the sail away party? We are always on our balcony and miss out on the party.

Thanks!![/quote

I'm not sure if Carnival (or any other cruise line) offers complimentary anything! Nope, nothing at sail away, but to their credit, Carnival does offer free drinks at the Captain's cocktail party the first formal night.

I was on the same cruise and really enjoyed it as well. I agree with many things such as the food in the dining room. Soups were great but not very hot. My lobster was fair. I did enjoy the flourless chocolate cake, fudge cake and white and dark chocolate souffle, yum!!!! I found Scarlett's to be wonderful! I agree with the steak. I had the filet and I think it was better than what I have had at Ruth Chris, Morton's, Smith & Wollensky, etc.. I thought the service was wonderful but then again we were there while the boat was in Cozumel and there were only a few others in the restaurant. The lobster bisque was the best I have ever had! Did you travel with children. We did since it was their spring break. I am always amazed to see couples without children during spring break. Unless it is the only time you can travel, it really doesn't make sense because there are just so many of them. We, unfortunately, don't get many slow weeks to travel because of the school schedule. Last year we went on Princess and they absolutely limit the number of children. We were trying to get on the Star this year but they had already closed out my daughter's age group and we couldn't get permission, even though we are frequent cruisers with them. Not sure what we will do next year!

We always cruise during spring break. I am a nanny and I take my vacations when the family is on vacation. Plus, I was VERY pregnant last March and we didn't get to go, so we were anxious to hit the high seas this year. If I had my choice, then I would like to cruise the first part of Feb....seems like the perfect time to get away from the cold.

I agree with the lobster bisque....awesome indeed!

Thanks!![/quote

I'm not sure if Carnival (or any other cruise line) offers complimentary anything! Nope, nothing at sail away, but to their credit, Carnival does offer free drinks at the Captain's cocktail party the first formal night.

Free drinks at Captain's Party and Past Guest's Party (Wednesday PM on Western Caribbean, two times for early and late diners). All other times, including SailAway, bring your Sail and Sign card...

Archived