Best Time to Go?

Cruzinnana47

We have been on one full-transit canal cruise (Atlantic to Pacific) which was from late April into early May. It was overall quite nice, a little humid (which we expected) and very little rain.

Any suggestions for other months/time of the year? We are seriously thinking of booking another canal cruise and would appreciate the feedback.

TIA.

When you did your Atlantic-Pacific, that is the time frame when the cruise lines start moving ships out of the Caribbean up to the west coast for the start of the Alaskan cruise season. You will find that starting in late September/October you will find the reverse is available when they start moving ships back to the Caribbean. The Sept./Oct. cruises will have a better chance of rain as the cruise progresses to Costa Rica and Panama as this is towards the end of their rainy season. Normally the closer you get to December (except for last year, 2010:eek:) the drier the weather will be.

Princess and Celebrity (don't know about HAL) offer several full transit cruises over the winter, Atlantic-Pacific and return. If I were going to pick a time period based on weather alone in the Panama region, it would be January through the middle of February. This is the time when the temps and humidity are going to be at their best and only a small chance of rain. The greenery is at it's greenest and the trade winds have started. Let me add a "but"..... To someone from a temperate climate it will always seem humid. The humidity you experienced in late April/May isn't that much different than what you will experience in January. A breeze, shade or air condtioning are not too hard to find!

Thanks, BillB48--appreciate your response. You've given us something to consider re planning our next PC cruise. Either April-May (like we did before) or Jan.-Feb. sounds like our best bet. I would rather not go in the "rainy season".

As far as humidity--I don't mind it, but DH does. Being from New England--we are used to just about everything here - blizzards, hurricanes and -- this summer -- 100+ degree heat!:eek::rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Archived