Gem - Review of our 6 Days.

rikatine

Want to post a quick review of our 6 days on the Gem to Bermuda. If it is not already obvious, things did not start out well. Precruise was very stressful, with the hurricane, the delay, and finally, worry about getting to the port with all the road closings in our area. That being said, we did get to the port (it took an extra hour of driving), and we were in and through check in and security in no time. We brought a bottle of wine with us, so we had to stop and pay the corkage.

We sat down in the terminal with our Freestyle Daily, and tried to get into vacation mode. There were people there from the spa making appointments, and selling spa passes. There was also a table set up with the dining menus. I decided I wanted to sit across from the table with the menus, and it paid off.

We had decided ahead of time to eat at Le Bistro on the first night. We learned from the Daily that specialty dining was going to be 50% off the first night and I started to worry that we would not be able to get a reservation. So sure enough, I kept me eye on the table with the menus, hoping someone would set up there to take reservations, and as soon as I saw what looked like a staff member there, I went over to check it out. Within a few minutes, I had my reservation for 8pm, when it opened.

Boarding started a little before 12, and we were on the ship. The announcement was made earlier that the staterooms would be open right away, so we headed there to leave our bag. Our cabin steward seemed less than happy that we were there already and told us to go have lunch. More about her later.

We headed up to the buffet, and had lunch. We found a good variety, and enjoyed most of what we tried. And then there are the pretzel rolls! Now I felt like I was on vacation. We wandered around the ship a little and headed back to our room. Our steward was rushing around and asked us if we went to lunch. Again, we were in her way. At this point, I wished they had just left the rooms closed until 2pm like they normally do, because we were not getting a good vibe, and we just wanted to relax and get into vacation mode.

At this point, we decided to break the mold and put on our bathing suits and head to the pool. On every previous cruise, on the first day we walk through the pool deck and wonder “Who are these people already out at the pool?” We decided to try it, and went straight for an empty hot tub. It was great sitting back and watching people arrive, while we sat in the hot tub. Everyone do yourself a favor and try it some time. We followed up with margaritas at the Bali Hai Bar.

For those of you who would like me to get to the point, here we go:

FOOD – Le Bistro (2), La Cucina, Magenta, Grand Pacific, Buffet, Blue Lagoon. All the food was good to excellent. Both specialty restaurants were worth it. Everything at Le Bistro was excellent, including the service. The Maitre D there is on top of everything.

SERVICE – We had some issues with our cabin steward, we did not feel that she was as good as what we are used to with previous NCL cruises. Half way through the week I finally decided to bring it to someone’s attention, and I’m glad I did. It takes a lot for me to say something, but it was worth it, and all our issues were resolved. The Executive Housekeeper, Tess, took care of everything and we could not have asked for a better response.

BERMUDA – Sorry, it rained like crazy on day one. We went to St George, got soaked, and gave up and went back to the ship. Day two, rain and clouds, not getting soaked again. Day 3 walked to the sea glass beach, it was very easy following the directions in the Bermuda forum. Bermuda was kind of a bust for us, but it was okay, we sat on our balcony a lot, read, and went to the pool a few more times.

ENTERTAINMENT - Come to find out, some of the scheduled entertainment did not make the ship. Leo for one, that everyone speaks of. I thought this was evident in the weakness of the lounge acts. It did get better as the week progressed. Next Stage was great, even doing an acoustic set in the atrium. Man from Mars was very good, better than expected. Second City had the same exact act that we saw on the Pearl last year, not good. The comedian did not really tickle our funnybone. The hypnotist, was entertaining. The 70’s show was fine, and the AMOR orchestra group was a nice addition. Found out the NCL will be producing there own shows in the near future, can’t wait to see the change.

MEET AND GREET – Cherry, the group coordinator was great. With all the confusion, we did not have a time for our meet, until after we boarded. I was able to call some of our group that gave me their cabin numbers, but we ended up with a fairly small group in the Bliss Lounge. Cherry provided name tags for us, and agreed to enter all of us in the drawing to eat with the Captain. This was something everyone could enter at guest services, but this way, we could be entered without having to go to the desk. The captain and all of the top officers attended, with the main theme being, speak up if we can do anything to make your vacation better. They do get feedback from corporate about what goes on at the Cruise Critic boards. They have instituted a new system on the pool deck and elsewhere for drink service, so that people don’t feel nickel and dimed or bothered to buy anything. I thought it was noticeable in all the venues.

I was going to keep this short, but….A couple of more things.

If you want a quiet place to eat your food from the buffet, go to La Cucina after you get your food (breakfast and lunch). It is not crowded and has a great view of the pier.

If you order room service coffee, ask for the BIG pot on your form, the other pot is just too small if you are a coffee drinker.

If you don’t like crowds but want to go to the pool. Just bring your self, put your stuff on the edge of the pool, and get in. It is the first time we enjoyed the pool, no chair needed. Afterward, go sign out a towel, and when you are done with it, give it back. No need to carry your towel around the ship.

Walk off disembarkation. We were off the ship at 7:30 am. We did not even bother to pack until the morning.

Go to the Lattitudes party, the drinks were flowing, and the Captain played a song with the band. It was fun.

Overall we had a good time, we refused to accept anything less on our hard earned vacation. I will be happy to answer questions, and we were very lucky to have been chosen to eat with the Captain, and go on a bridge tour. It really was a unique cruise for us, because we decided to go with the flow and enjoy it no matter what.

Martini Tasting - Ours was lame! We got a little taste of each in a juice glass. They all ended up tasting the same. Not what we expected. For us, the 34.50 would have been better off just buying martinis. Plus, the location was just bad. The trivia was going on at the same time, and the mic they were using was so loud that we could hardly hear what they were saying. We did have a good time talking to another couple we met there. That saved it for us.

We were in cabin 10168, aft. We had two loungers and two regular chairs. Our furniture was kind of dirty, so by mid week, it was all changed out. Be prepared for "stuff" to come down from above. The great outdoors is up there. It really threw me at first. If it is not being cleaned up, tell someone.

Well all in all I am happy to hear you did enjoy your cruise. Thanks for your review - and for posting it so quickly. :)

I have a few questions for you:

• Did you like your cabin - and the aft location?
  • Any reason in particular that you both didn't go to Cagneys for a dinner?
  • Was Le Bistro crowded the 1st night?

Thanks again and welcome back!

Well all in all I am happy to hear you did enjoy your cruise. Thanks for your review - and for posting it so quickly. :)

I have a few questions for you:

• Did you like your cabin - and the aft location?
  • Any reason in particular that you both didn't go to Cagneys for a dinner?
  • Was Le Bistro crowded the 1st night?

Thanks again and welcome back!

We love the aft. It was our first time on this class though, and having the Great Outdoors above makes it slightly less appealing. We had an ice cream cone, french fries, and sugar packet paper come down to our balcony.

The filet mignon was so good at Le Bistro, that we decided to go back there a second time. Also, the service was top notch. Spoke to others on our cruise that said the service at Cagneys was lacking.

Le Bistro was not crowded either night, its almost like they do not fully book it.

Is The specialty restaurants always 50% off on the first night or only your sailing due to the shortened sailing ?

In years past they used to have 50% off in all specialty restaurants if you ate before 6pm and I know that has changed.

Not sure, it was just the first night though.

Did it seem as though the passenger count was a lot less? Curious knowing that airports were closed, roads were closed, mass transit had issues, etc. Over here in Orange County there are areas that are still a mess, not counting how many homes and businesses were declared condemned.

Glad you made the best of something that was beyond your control. We leave this Saturday and this Hurricane Katia looks to be a factor for several ships, not counting (as you are well aware) the fact that this area and well as New Jersey, Vermont, PA, etc. DON'T need an ounce of rain.

Thanks for your review and welcome home

Kathy

Did it seem as though the passenger count was a lot less? Curious knowing that airports were closed, roads were closed, mass transit had issues, etc. Over here in Orange County there are areas that are still a mess, not counting how many homes and businesses were declared condemned.

Glad you made the best of something that was beyond your control. We leave this Saturday and this Hurricane Katia looks to be a factor for several ships, not counting (as you are well aware) the fact that this area and well as New Jersey, Vermont, PA, etc. DON'T need an ounce of rain.

Thanks for your review and welcome home

Kathy

We were told at the Meet and Greet that there where 2900 passengers on our sailing. Only about 40 did not make it. It was full, believe me. Lots of large groups and families. Hope you have a great cruise next week.

Thank you for posting your review. I am glad that you enjoyed yourself given the difficult start.

We always book Le Bistro on our first night and enjoyed it so much that we went twice on our Gem sailing 8/7-8/14. I also liked the changes in the pool service. It made for a nice atmosphere. We spent so much time around the pool and this was new for us. We also just brought ourselves a few times and sat on the edge of the pool.

I am wondering what is going on at Cagney's? While we had really good service for our dinner there, we thought that the meal in Le Bistro was better. Our breakfasts there did not live up to previous cruises in terms of service. I think that I mentioned this in my review as well.

We also made our way to the Sea Glass Beach and had a nice time there. Our collection is in place here at home with the others that we have collected here at home and from the other places we have gone.

Thank you for posting your review. I am glad that you enjoyed yourself given the difficult start.

We always book Le Bistro on our first night and enjoyed it so much that we went twice on our Gem sailing 8/7-8/14. I also liked the changes in the pool service. It made for a nice atmosphere. We spent so much time around the pool and this was new for us. We also just brought ourselves a few times and sat on the edge of the pool.

I am wondering what is going on at Cagney's? While we had really good service for our dinner there, we thought that the meal in Le Bistro was better. Our breakfasts there did not live up to previous cruises in terms of service. I think that I mentioned this in my review as well.

We also made our way to the Sea Glass Beach and had a nice time there. Our collection is in place here at home with the others that we have collected here at home and from the other places we have gone.

Thanks Jim, your review did have some influence on me. The part about going out to the pool. We too used the pool more than ever. We had decided to skip the spa pass this time, which left more time for the pool anyway.

I think it is great that NCL is always striving to make it a better experience for the customer and changing the way drink service is provided is a good start. I also noticed that Bingo announcements were a lot less, and one pax told me a session was canceled due to low attendance.

Thanks Jim, your review did have some influence on me. The part about going out to the pool. We too used the pool more than ever. We had decided to skip the spa pass this time, which left more time for the pool anyway.

I think it is great that NCL is always striving to make it a better experience for the customer and changing the way drink service is provided is a good start. I also noticed that Bingo announcements were a lot less, and one pax told me a session was canceled due to low attendance.

We noticed this about the bingo too. My daughter loves to go to bingo and tries to convince us to go on every cruise. I hate it and stay far away. However on previous cruises we have gone once or twice. This time we did not even go (Yeah!!!) and I think that the reduction in Bingo announcements made it easier.

On the subject of Cagneys, between reviews that I have read, and what other passengers told me on this cruise, the service has gone down. One couple went for breakfast, and they just sat there while a guy that came in after them was being waited on. They said the server completely ignored them and stood talking and laughing with the other pax, and only eventually came to take their order.

The Maitre D at Le Bistro clearly ran a good operation. Have never seen such service. He was involved with everything. On our second dinner there, I was showing my husband a piece of my beef, which was done just the way I ordered it, and he noticed and came over to see if I was happy with it. He visited our table several times on each visit.

We are so happy that we finally tried Le Bistro. Everything was so good at both dinners and it was fun to go a second time and try all different things there.

Was Le Bistro on your first night 50% off ?

I'm thinking they did this for the pax on this sailing since the week was shortened by a day.

We received a complimentary glass of wine from the Captain, in addition to the 50% off specialty dining. On other ships the discount specialty dining did not include Cagneys and Le Bistro.

Which reminds me of the couple who went to Cagneys the first night, and told us they were not told anything by their waiter. When the next table came in, their same waiter launched into a whole spiel about Cagneys, and a complimentary glass of wine etc. They just looked at each other and laughed. They couldn't believe the difference in how they were greeted.

We talked to a lot of great people on this cruise. It was so easy to find common ground, no matter who you talked to.

Was Le Bistro on your first night 50% off ?

I'm thinking they did this for the pax on this sailing since the week was shortened by a day.

Le Bistro was not 50% off on the first night and it was opened beginning at 8:00 pm for the first three nights for some reason.

We have had 50% off specialty restaurants on the first night in the past.

Just completed my post cruise survey. Whew, it was long, and I had a lot to say. I was so hard to balance the good and the bad. The good was really good, and the not so good was there too. Tried not to be overly swayed by the fact that we lost a whole day and have no recourse.

Were there new menus in the MDR? In particular the Signature Specialties as referenced in THIS thread? Does the Gem stamp passports?

Yes they are new. That thread shows them. The Classic menu was slightly different in the two MDRs.

We did not have our passports stamped.

Were there new menus in the MDR? In particular the Signature Specialties as referenced in THIS thread? Does the Gem stamp passports?

Yes they are new. That thread shows them. The Classic menu was slightly different in the two MDRs.

We did not have our passports stamped.

Does the Gem stamp passports?

last year my children and I went to the customs building in town.

I asked at the dock and they told us where to go.

Just a ferry ride over to hamilton and down the street to the right

then i dragged them to the post office. granted i do this to them everytime we go anywhere new.

last year my children and I went to the customs building in town.

I asked at the dock and they told us where to go.

Just a ferry ride over to hamilton and down the street to the right

then i dragged them to the post office. granted i do this to them everytime we go anywhere new.

Thank you RYMOMA...in the Bermuda forum there is a thread with that info, but I just wanted to know if ship did it because they say that some do and it would save some time :)

Archived