Still waiting for those 3/20 DAWN reviews

tommy2811

Thanks for your comments about the review. Gotta get some more of the 3/20 CC'ers to do theirs. I think we're all still inundated with laundry!!

LORN63:

When we were on the Dawn previously, we had Butler/Concierge. The Concierge automatically left any VIP tickets for anything coming up. If you don't have them, CALL and they will get you tickets on the first Tender. There will still be a line to get on the Tender, but not to get your ticket. You will be one of the first 250-300 people or so off the tender and there will be plenty of chairs w/umbrellas for you!

Per the Hotel Director, Hugo, the wait at GSC wasn't due to a tender or ticket problem, but rather was due to a wait for the Bahamas officials before we could all leave the ship.

DYSLEXIC PIRATE:

I suspected we could probably do that, but this worked out fine. Kept my two kids together a bit more!

I can't say enough nice things about this cruise. Norwegian Cruise Line has gone out of it's way to provide a fantastic product. We feel very blessed to have been a part of it. The food, crew, entertainment...everything....was far above expectation. There was so much to do that the only thing I feel bad about is that we couldn't do it ALL!!! Guess we will just have to book another one!

Someone asked how we got our CC group together...we were so lucky to have a great group of outgoing, fun loving cruisers on this voyage. We just seemed to click. Our group meeting was wonderful and it was such a pleasure to exchange waves and moments with new friends all week long.

Embarkation...EASY due to just comming out of dry dock. We were on at 11am!

Seas...calm. Even when they did get a bit ruff...this ship is amazing. We could not believe we were even moving at times. The Dawn handles the seas better than I could imagine. What a pleasure to sail her.

Food was out of this world and presentation was spectacular. Celebrity has the reputation for best cruise food...but...I think NCL far surpasses in this department.

The shows were great, the Cruise Director Paul and asst. Mike were quite enjoyable. Mike ran the Murder Mystery Dinner, and we had a blast. We were lucky to be on a team with 6 college students that were one of the best parts of the cruise. They were really into the game and included us without hesitation. This dinner was held the night we were in Nassau.

We enjoyed the over night in Nassau. Wish we had stayed till 2...never found out why that was changed. Staying there added an extra special touch to the trip. Loved our deck party with the music and food as Carnival's Celebration sat next to us...doing nothing!!! So much for the "party" ships! NCL was where it was at!!!!

We were so fortunate to have so many crew join us at our CC party. The hotel director and his assistant, the cruise director, group services director, just to name a few. What wonderful warm people. They went out of their way to make our stay with them more than enjoyable.

I'm in love, NCL and the Dawn have stolen my heart.

GREAT REVIEWS!!! Thank You VERY MUCH!!! My Dawn cruise is quite soon, April 17th, I am SO EXCITED!!! I have read wonderfull things about the Dawn!!!

hurrhugo, when you said that there was 50% off at Cagneys, was that on your first night on the ship? Were there any other 50% off nights at any of the other restaurants?

Was there always something going on while you were onboard, something to go see, places to wander around and check out? Did you partake in ALL the activities, like seeing a movie, the assorted classes and lectures? Can you become "bored" on a cruise? I am just wondering about activities for my DD (12), I do hope she makes some friends....

To ALL of you, what are your THREE FAVORITE things about the Dawn???

Suesan:):):)

Liz

I could not agree with you more the Dawn has stolen my heart to.:)

There is so many things I like about the Dawn it is hard to say just 3.

The crew is there to please you and go beyond to make your trip so enjoyable. the food is great, the decor of the ship is very up beat, the entertainment is great, there is so many things going on, the layout of the ship is easy to get around, the deck parties are fun....... I think I am spoiled. ;)

marie

When we got onboard on Sunday, we immediately made reservations for Monday night at Cagneys. As Erin (salvegirl2006) says, it was 50% off both nights. We happened to stroll into Bamboo just before 6pm Saturday night and got 50% off as well (an early bird special, I guess)!

Suesan, THREE favorite things?!!!?

o Freestyle dining definitely!

o The DAWN itself is beautiful. I could just sit in the Java Cafe

and look around the Grand Atrium all day.

o I like that I can be as involved (attending a demo, joining the conga

line poolside) or uninvolved (sit in a deck chair on Deck 7 by the

shuffleboard courts where it's a bit quieter) as I want to be.

And no worries for your daughter. Mine is 13. The first night she went to the teen meeting and didn't really connect with anyone. She still had a great time exploring on our first day at sea. We asked her to try just one more teen activity in the teen Dazzles II and voila! There were about 8 of them from 12-16 that were inseparable for the rest of the cruise! Just kinda happens. She'll have a great time!! One of the teen activities on the last day at sea was a scavenger hunt. My son decided to join in on that one. His team won! Received a very nice prize as well (a CD player)!

Have a wonderful time. Wish I was back onboard!

Three favorite things....

1. Best of Friends singing and playing beautiful songs in the Atrium...we were mesmerized by them each night over a frozen cappucino...and we have the souvenier glasses to prove it!!! The elevators are beautiful behind them.

2. Like Marie says...the ship is beautiful and upbeat. Even the carpets add to the "life is wonderful" feeling! It is colorful without being tacky. It is just a darn BEAUTIFUL ship!!!!

3. The crew...can't get over the overwhelming team work of these wonderful people. It was a pleasure to spend the week with them.

Three favorite things....

1. Best of Friends singing and playing beautiful songs in the Atrium...we were mesmerized by them each night over a frozen cappucino...and we have the souvenier glasses to prove it!!! The elevators are beautiful behind them.

2. Like Marie says...the ship is beautiful and upbeat. Even the carpets add to the "life is wonderful" feeling! It is colorful without being tacky. It is just a darn BEAUTIFUL ship!!!!

3. The crew...can't get over the overwhelming team work of these wonderful people. It was a pleasure to spend the week with them.

It appears there is a new music group in the atrium who have replaced Anna Y Los Vientos who are probably on vacation before going to the new Norwegian Jewel. Could you describe Best of Friends? What did they consist of? I am happy that NCL has retained beautiful music in the atrium of the Dawn.

Best of Friends...3 young men who play gituar and sing beautifully. Each one has a wonderful voice and they sing together and by themselves. Songs like...Lady in Red, Bridge over troubled Waters...wish there was a dance floor. They played wonderful romantic dance music. It would have been great to be able to dance to it. Thought about just dancing in the atrium....chickened out!;)

Hi,

another question:

We have to leave New York on departure date at 1:50 pm at La Guardia. I know, we will be in a hurry, but it s our only chance to arrive at Seattle not during the night...

Is there any chance to confirm an early "checkout" and to leave the ship asap to catch our flight?

Thank you

Wendy

Best of Friends...3 young men who play gituar and sing beautifully. Each one has a wonderful voice and they sing together and by themselves. Songs like...Lady in Red, Bridge over troubled Waters...wish there was a dance floor. They played wonderful romantic dance music. It would have been great to be able to dance to it. Thought about just dancing in the atrium....chickened out!;)

We were also taken by the music and ambiance of the Dawn atrium and we did not hesitate to dance on the terrazzo floor in front of the ship model of the Dawn. Many other couples joined us as the music was too good to waste. We also enjoyed dining in Salsa with its stained glass ceiling, music ideal for dining and wonderful view of the atrium. Enjoy.

We were also taken by the music and ambiance of the Dawn atrium and we did not hesitate to dance on the terrazzo floor in front of the ship model of the Dawn. Many other couples joined us as the music was too good to waste. We also enjoyed dining in Salsa with its stained glass ceiling, music ideal for dining and wonderful view of the atrium. Enjoy.

Oh I wish we had done just that! I'm sure everyone was waiting for someone to start the process! And Salsa....our favorite dinning room for just the reasons you stated. I'm smiling as I type this...remembering the lovely moments spent there.

Thanks Hurrhugo and Salvegirl2006 for the reviews. They were very helpful and I can't wait to go already! Hurrhugo, I was concerned because I have the Powerboat excursion booked for Friday in Nassau. Even with the shortened day, if people had time to do the dolphin encounter, I'm sure we'll be fine with the Powerboat ride. That's what I needed to know. Thanks.

Hi,

another question:

We have to leave New York on departure date at 1:50 pm at La Guardia. I know, we will be in a hurry, but it s our only chance to arrive at Seattle not during the night...

Is there any chance to confirm an early "checkout" and to leave the ship asap to catch our flight?

Thank you

Wendy

We received a sheet titled: "ONLY FOR URGENT DEBARKATION, Limited to 500 Participants....You must be a US Citizen, have independent travel arrangements only and be able to carry your own entire luggage ashore."

These folks were let off first. Approximately 2 hours after the ship arrived. We chose not to use this cause we really did NOT want to get off!!! Wanted to stay as long as possible!:D

Great review Thank you for sharing your adventure. I love freestyle. YOu do what you want when you want. YOu can eat where you want and when you want. Makes for a very relaxing vacation. :)

This is our 7th cruise and our first on the Dawn I personally feel you lose something when you dine in a different resturant every night and get different waiters . When we sailed on the disney boat (for example) waiter and busboy followed us to a different resturant every night they knew after the first night that my 8 year old drank chocalate milk my 13 year old had his coke my wife her white russian and me a glass of red , they had it waiting for us , if we didn't want it was no problem they would get something else .Its always the Little things that count (the dawn some service was good others felt like a rushed) ask what we were doing that day and would remember to ask us about it the next day .Little things like that make it very personal you feel like your at home. At the end of the cruise they got rewarded with a hansome tip for there services. At least I knew were the money was going to a person who deserved.it. The Dawn we felt like they were blood suckers especially charging a cover$20 dollars a head in cagneys all the food should have been included in all resturants I mean we paid $4,500 for the 4 of us plus buying the cokes and alot other stuff my budget was way over; all in all we liked it , did not like the overnight change in nassau the kids wanted to go jet sking.

This is our 7th cruise and our first on the Dawn I personally feel you lose something when you dine in a different resturant every night and get different waiters . When we sailed on the disney boat (for example) waiter and busboy followed us to a different resturant every night they knew after the first night that my 8 year old drank chocalate milk my 13 year old had his coke my wife her white russian and me a glass of red , they had it waiting for us , if we didn't want it was no problem they would get something else .Its always the Little things that count (the dawn some service was good others felt like a rushed) ask what we were doing that day and would remember to ask us about it the next day .Little things like that make it very personal you feel like your at home. At the end of the cruise they got rewarded with a hansome tip for there services. At least I knew were the money was going to a person who deserved.it. The Dawn we felt like they were blood suckers especially charging a cover$20 dollars a head in cagneys all the food should have been included in all resturants I mean we paid $4,500 for the 4 of us plus buying the cokes and alot other stuff my budget was way over; all in all we liked it , did not like the overnight change in nassau the kids wanted to go jet sking.

Same waiter every night can be quite nice. However if they are subpar, as our waiter and asst were om the Disney Magic, that means you have lousy service to look forward to each evening. So it can work for or against you.

For those who are unaware, you CAN arrange same waiter/table nightly- just see teh maitre d to arrange this. It usually means you have to eat at 6PM or earlier, or at 8 PM or after. We did this twice on NCL and enjoyed some great waitstaff.

regarding cover charges, it is typical in specialty restaurants on all lines,although the charge does vary. We paid extra for Palo brunch and dinner on teh Disney Magic. It was well worth it. But you don'y have to do the specialty restaurants if you con't want to spend extra. It's up to you.

Regarding nickle adn diming, or bloodsucking as you call it, alll 4 mass market lines I've sailed on do it, although X was a little less. Experienced plenty of it on DCL as well as the others.

What a differance a week makes! Last week my husband and I were on the beach soaking up the sun....i have the tan lines to prove it!

To answer one question....what stuff did you bring with you on the beac...and was it safe to leave? I bought a small Eddie Bauer bag...with sunscreen...our books..Ipods...sunglasses ...dawn key cards...and some towels from the ship. I also had a small amount of cash for the vendors on the beach. I bought some small bags that had the GSC logo on it for my 3 neices...they were a huge hit! My husband and i went into the water together....and ate lunch together and didn't worry at all about the safety of our stuff! I saw most people leave their things on the beach chairs...and no one seemed to touch anything! this was also true on the Ship when we were on deck by the pools!

The change in times at the various ports didn't trouble us...they seemed so minor! Really..a 2 hour differance in Nassau didn't seem like a big deal to me!

As for the night life.....Go and do some of the fun stuff...don't miss the Liar's Club if they have it! Also any of the games....lots of fun!

I did Bingo....it was so much fun...even if i didn't win!

We did gamble a bit....mostly slots....i didn't hear of any big payouts...so don't expect to win big....but i think that we ended up even..not that bad!

As for the food on board.....we at at 2 alternative restaurants...Le Bistro and

Salsa.....both were great! This year we ate at Impressions and Aqua the most. I really thought that Impressions was the best! Venetian seems too huge to me...and Aqua sometimes seemed noisey. The service was definately the best in Impressions!

I love this ship..i have been on oter ships...and this ship is just great!

As for the cruise on the open water....a little rocky down until Cape Hateras...we were down ther by Monday at noon..then things smoothed out....on the way back it started getting rocky and colder around 5 pm on Saturday evening. At 2 am Sunday we were rocking and i took a sea sickness

tablet. Still..i never got sick...so that's a plus.

Any further questions...ask away!

Jane

Barb..."Formal Night" was Monday night and yep....lobster!!! It was yummy!!! Very buttery tasting. BTW...they are available in ALL the restaurants, not just the main ones...we had friends who had lobster for desert in LaTrattoria!!!:D

We thought the $10 per day tip was more than reasonable and we did opt to tip extra to some of our servers and our room stewards. We did not feel obligated to do so and the servers at first said..."no, not necessary"...but, did take it. We just slipped it to them with a hand shake. We found ALL the wait staff to be outstanding. And, enjoyed meeting someone different every night. We did have Edgar as our MD several times and it was fun to chat with him on those occasions.

We loved the dinnng choices. Made each night something to really look forward too. We have sailed Disney and Celebrity. NCL had it all....the upbeat, cheeful ambiance of Disney and the excellent, excellent food and service of Celeb (actually, we thought NCL surpassed it in both areas). I can't say enough nice things about this line....it is our first choice from now on.

For Beeper16...

Jane, thanks for the information about the "safety" of your stuff at Great Stirrup Cay. I guess my husband and I are a little gun shy after having had his camcorder stolen from the show lounge aboard the "old" PACIFIC PRINCESS (aka LOVE BOAT). Fortunately our cruise insurance covered the "loss", but we never got the video memories from our 25th Anniversary Cruise. He really wants to take some video footage of Great Stirrup Cay this year...we so enjoyed the island last year! We like to go snorkeling, but he isn't too sure he wants to leave his camcorder "unattended" on our beach chairs. He's trying to find a large "water wallet" that would contain his camcorder, so he could keep it with him while snorkeling!

NCL, if you ever read this message board...HOW ABOUT INSTALLING SOME LOCKERS ON GREAT STIRRUP CAY FOR PEOPLE TO PUT SOME THINGS INTO SO THEY COULD HAVE A BETTER SENSE OF SECURITY FOR CAMERAS ETC. WHILE THEY PARTAKE OF THE WATER ACTIVITIES ON THE ISLAND?

Debjo

Archived