Is there jewelry shopping tips on board

Squirtreena

When i was on a princess cruise they had meetings each day on good tips and recommended stores for shopping for gems...I will be on RCCL this time and want to know if they do this?? I will be in Cozumel/Costa Maya/Grand Cayman/ and belize out of Miami....and wondered if there are any good deals on diamond jewelry with out being ripped off....TIA

They will have the same shopping lectures which will push their "recommended" stores. They all pay a percentage of their sales to be recommended. If you are not sure what you are buying, don't buy it. They will probably not tell you but most shops will easily come off their first price about 30% or so when pushed. :)

DO NOT BUY EXPENSIVE JEWELRY!!!!!! Only buy the cheap costume jewerly on the ship or in port. My parents got ripped off on a diamond in one of the "recommended stores", and lost several hundred dollars on the return. I have since read many horror stories on boards about this.

I read one account where a couple bought a nice diamomd ring that turned out to be zircona. Not only did the cruise ship refuse any refund, but he store did also. This is a very well known company, who has stores in all ports, and is recommended by all cruise lines.

Buyer beware! Check out some consumer protection websites before sailing.

I bought a beatiful 2 tone gold bracelet with diamond insets when I was on the imagination. I bought it because it was very different and when i brought it to my jeweler here.... he said that I did not overpay for it and he had never seen one like it and my jeweler is located in the jewelers in Boston. So they tend to see the latest things in jewelry. If you buy something expensive, put it on a credit card.... that's your best insurance!

I'm sorry, but I must disagree. Not all jewelers are going to rip you off. We bought my engagement ring in Cozumel at a reputable jeweler, brought it home to have it appraised and it appraised well above what we paid for it. The design is unusual as well, as are many pieces you find in the Caribbean. I have bought jewelry all over the Caribbean as well on various ships, and never gotten taken in the slightest. Yes, you need to be an informed consumer, just as you do in the states. And yes, using a credit card is the only way to go to protect yourself. But I have bought quite a bit of jewelry from the store I believe you are alluding to and everything has been wonderful. I just never have them sized there, but bring them home for that. I have no doubt that there have been people ripped off, but IMHO, that is not the normal experience if one is cautious.

Popcorn -- I agree w/ you that not all jewelers will try to rip you off but it is a buyer beware situation & you should know what you are doing before spending a fortune.

I just worry about people who think that the ship's "recommendation" is equivalent to the BBB or a good housekeeping seal of approval.

It is absolutely a 'buyer beware' situation, and I would caution people who do buy jewelry, to have it checked out when you get home.

I bought a beautiful tanzanite and diamond ring set in white gold in Nassau a couple years ago. About 8 months later, the tanzanite stone fell out and I lost it. I was sick for a week. Maybe if I'd taken the time to have a jeweler at home check the setting, I might not have lost the stone.

I love the setting, and had the tanzanite replaced with an amethyst. It's pretty, but it's not the same.

T

I got a beautiful gold necklace to place a loose diamond I had at home. Bought in Grand Caymen. Had it appraised at home for more than I paid for there. I love it and I am glad I bought it. I do agree that all purchases should be made via credit card in case there is a problem.

i agree buyer beware, i also bought a ring in st thomas looked like a kabana but 1/2 the price after six months lost some of the australian opals but i eamil the co in st thomas and they had me sent it to their store in ny and they fixed it. So again i have had only good expeiences.

We were on RCCL Mariner of the Seas for a Valentine cruise to the western Caribbean. My daughter purchased a tanzanite in Cozumel from a very large international diamond company that operates on most island in the caribbean. After returning home she took it to our jewelry store that we deal with most. They appraised it for 2/3 the cost that she paid. After contacting On Board Media which is part of RCCL and was told to contact the very large international diamond company. The diamond company said that the only thing that they could do was give her a partial credit to use in one of their many stores or on their website. She has contacted On Board Media to let them know this is unacceptable. She is still awaiting their reply. On the ship the shopping guy said that the place to purchase tanzanite that this very large international diamond company was "THE" place to buy. Because you have 30 days to contact them if you were not satisfied. Yes, you can contact them; however, they will not do anything regarding the return.

We were in Aruba and my daughter purchased a tanzanite ring from a jeweler that was not one of the recommended shops and when we returned and had it appraised it was worth twice what she paid for it. So; I am not sure that the cruise ship is any different than any other paid advertiser that the jewelery store would use.

Just know what you are looking for and take the time before you go to learn about the stone you are interested in. A CZ will not have "flaws" most diamonds do. Learn how jewelers grade them. Learn about what makes a stone more valuable.

Archived