Has anyone cruised through the Dardanelles?

lindylee0803

We sailed through the Dardanelles on our way to Istanbul. It is not scenic in the same way that the Norwegian Fjords or Alaskan coast are but I found it interesting because I was very aware of the historical associations of WW1 and it was possible to see some of the battle memorials from the ship. Much more interesting for me was the sail into and out of Istanbul through the Bosphorus.

I'm looking into a European cruise, and there is a day cruising the Dardanelles - wondering how scenic it is?

You are quite close to both the European and Asian side as you cruise the Dardenelles. Close enough to see daily activity on the shore line. Its not really that scenic from a geological or landscape perspective but the historical perspective is really compelling. We had a narrator during the cruising point out the various landmarks, battle sites, and historical accounts etc. I found it very interesting and intriguing considering the historical activity that had occured in the waterway and on the divide between Europe and Asia. On your way to Constantinople as we knew it in school.

Archived