Cruise Directors

Hi All,

The first of my post-cruise reflections, that raises a thought not mentioned in my last video...

Cruise Directors really are 'the voice of the ship' (particularly when you can't tell what the Captain is saying). I've only been on three cruises, and on my first two I was lucky enough to have Kane Davies and Dave Beattie as Assistant. I found them warm, extremely humorous, funny and very down to earth - quite in line with the Thomson Cruise product really. They had a really tongue-in-cheek sense of humour, and just knew how far they could take a joke and still keep the audience on side.

This year we had a different Cruise Director and Assistant, and it just wasn't the same. The Cruise Director was called Johnny, I don't recall his surname, but I do remember reading in Cruise News that he was very experienced and had worked for several cruise lines. I don't recall the name of his Assistant at all.

I didn't feel the level of warmth for these guys that I had for Kane and Dave. This lead to me feeling quite sceptical at times when I heard their voices on their microphones. Johnny was a Brummy, but on the microphone he sounded like a cross between Tim Westwood and Tony Blackburn, you know that really horrible fake and semi-transatlantic DJ accent that certain people get when they speak on a microphone. His assistant was pretty much the same, and I would just switch off.

I loved listening to Kane and Dave's Lancashire twang, it really made you feel like you were getting to know the real 'them' as people. But with Johnny and Assistant they were just homogenous 'bad DJ' voices to me.

Maybe I'm being a whinger, and apologies if so, but it really made me reflect on how much of a difference the Cruise Director makes to the cruise experience.

By the way, does anyone know what has happened to Kane and Dave?

I'll stop whinging now!:p

I do agree. On the whole those we've come across have all been pretty good - some outstanding but we did have one on Celebration once who was dire. No charisma, charm or warmth. He just didn't relate to the passengers at all - and unlike most of the CDs, didn't get involved with the entertainment himself. I think he was called Frank something. We didn't see him again. Like the case you quote Stu he didn't 'fit' well with the Thomson product.

Funny you should mention that though as I had spotted him on your video and in that short time didn't think he was in the mould of the typical Thomson CDs.

Yes Kane is very good, Stephen Guy excellent. Richard Sykes was excellent too but has disappeared from the scene. Another sadly not with Thomson now is Keith 'Keef' Maynard who has moved to Cunard - anyone heard how he's getting on? Paul Fisher was doing a good job on Dream recently too. It's good when they can lead by example and join in some shows/cabarets/deck parties.

Did I hear that Bram Lorenz had been promoted to CD too? He has worked his way up from the entertainments team and always had the making of a CD I thought. If he's not already - I think he ought to be!

I read that Stephen Guy is on Spirit just now

Stu reports that this Johnny is on Destiny

Can anyone else fill in the gaps of who's on the other ships currently?

from seeing a few things on fbook, dave beattie is no longer with thomson, seen photos of him working in a coffee shop, keith maynard is the ents director on the queen elizabeth, bram is the cd on the celebration, with alistar 'from the show team singer' as his acd, alistar is also going to the dream as acd from xmas til june, paul evans is off on a long trip around oz

Goodo!!! He is brilliant. Fabulous voice and very friendly. We had him on our very first cruise on the Celebration and also on the Dream.

I think, all in all, we have had some very good cruise directors. On our last one on Crown Princess, we had a Welsh girl who was so nice, always smiled at you while going round the ship and often stopped and chatted, even though they must have a busy schedule! Two different ones on Braemar, but they were the same and, being a smaller ship, they actually stood on the deck and said goodbye to everyone as they got off!

A good CD certainly "makes" the cruise :)

BTW you were up late last night Kruzseeka :eek:

Thanks mtt - thought you would be up-to-date with where everyone was! ;)

And lucky you Linda - with Stephen on board! He's superb and every time we've seen him, he's headed up a great team. :)

Yes, a bad night - sometimes just can't 'get off'. If I really can't sleep it's get up, make a cuppa, read - or even switch the laptop on. And sometimes there are some really interesting progs on at 3am on TV! :eek: Still, I'm lucky that I don't have to get up for work so am fairly philosophical about it and luckily it's not chronic.

Thanks mtt - thought you would be up-to-date with where everyone was! ;)

And lucky you Linda - with Stephen on board! He's superb and every time we've seen him, he's headed up a great team. :)

Yes, a bad night - sometimes just can't 'get off'. If I really can't sleep it's get up, make a cuppa, read - or even switch the laptop on. And sometimes there are some really interesting progs on at 3am on TV! :eek: Still, I'm lucky that I don't have to get up for work so am fairly philosophical about it and luckily it's not chronic.

Anyone remember Rob Riddel acd, hes now on windstar cruises

Gavin Carrol working in a warner hotel

Richard Sykes C.D. on The Marco Polo

not sure where Ray is from the spirit, richard grey is still on there

dont know which ship kane is on at the mo but he was all suited up for Stephen Guys wedding over the summer and I think someone said that Keef was the other one in the photos - one of them might even have been best man - the gentlemen in the wedding party were all cruise people :lol: (saw Paul evans photos on facebook)

dont know which ship kane is on at the mo but he was all suited up for Stephen Guys wedding over the summer and I think someone said that Keef was the other one in the photos - one of them might even have been best man - the gentlemen in the wedding party were all cruise people :lol: (saw Paul evans photos on facebook)

I think it was one of the gavin as his best man, paul evans gets a mention in todays sun newspaper in the jobs section

Anyone remember Rob Riddel acd, hes now on windstar cruises

Gavin Carrol working in a warner hotel

Richard Sykes C.D. on The Marco Polo

not sure where Ray is from the spirit, richard grey is still on there

Thanks for the up-date. I'd forgotten about Ray - think he was on Celebration last time we were there.

Gavin Carroll was really good too - born entertainer!

Thanks for the up-date. I'd forgotten about Ray - think he was on Celebration last time we were there.

Gavin Carroll was really good too - born entertainer!

I just search on fb for people, theres lots of pages bout the showboaters show sjg is a judge on the show, anyone else here on facebook

I totally agree with Mosstravel's comments, we've just come back from Jewels of the Med and both my husband and I commented on the CD's voice - think his name was Johnny Riley. He did indeed have a very cheesy DJ type voice, I compared him to the Harry Enfield and Paul Whitehouse characters - think it was Smashy and Nicey :) This made him come across as quite insincere which was a shame. He also had the limpest handshake ever when I met him on Captains Night - one of my pet hates! :rolleyes:

Fab cruise apart from that:D

• 2 weeks later...
I do agree. On the whole those we've come across have all been pretty good - some outstanding but we did have one on Celebration once who was dire. No charisma, charm or warmth. He just didn't relate to the passengers at all - and unlike most of the CDs, didn't get involved with the entertainment himself. I think he was called Frank something. We didn't see him again. Like the case you quote Stu he didn't 'fit' well with the Thomson product.

Funny you should mention that though as I had spotted him on your video and in that short time didn't think he was in the mould of the typical Thomson CDs.

Yes Kane is very good, Stephen Guy excellent. Richard Sykes was excellent too but has disappeared from the scene. Another sadly not with Thomson now is Keith 'Keef' Maynard who has moved to Cunard - anyone heard how he's getting on? Paul Fisher was doing a good job on Dream recently too. It's good when they can lead by example and join in some shows/cabarets/deck parties.

Did I hear that Bram Lorenz had been promoted to CD too? He has worked his way up from the entertainments team and always had the making of a CD I thought. If he's not already - I think he ought to be!

Stu reports that this Johnny is on Destiny

Can anyone else fill in the gaps of who's on the other ships currently?

CD on Spirit is Richard Grey who is an ex actor, so no comedy or song & dance from him, although very good in the afternoon play on day at sea which was murder mystery "Double Death".

ACD was Matt ?

Only two of the Broadway Lounge shows were duplicated over the fortnight - Elvis Mania and Africa.

Comedians were Maurice Grumbleweed 1st week and Stan Johns 2nd week.

A new slant on the shows were potted versions of musicals - Guys and Dolls on 1st week and Hairspray 2nd week.

CD on Spirit is Richard Grey who is an ex actor, so no comedy or song & dance from him, although very good in the afternoon play on day at sea which was murder mystery "Double Death".

ACD was Matt ?

Only two of the Broadway Lounge shows were duplicated over the fortnight - Elvis Mania and Africa.

Comedians were Maurice Grumbleweed 1st week and Stan Johns 2nd week.

A new slant on the shows were potted versions of musicals - Guys and Dolls on 1st week and Hairspray 2nd week.

What were the shows on the adriatic week, Matt is matt dallen he was on the celebration last year played buddy holly

What were the shows on the adriatic week, Matt is matt dallen he was on the celebration last year played buddy holly

Friday - Elvis Mania

Saturday - Luck be a Lady (abridged version of Guys & Dolls)

Sunday - By Special Arrangement (Concert version of show songs)

Monday - Comedian

Tuesday - Africa

Wednesday - Mediterranean Nights (with the 7 minute Can-Can routine and cast photos at the end)

Thursday - Modelled by Motown.

Archived