EMBARRASSING Tip Question

carhopsrock

* puts on my flameproof suit *

There is no way to convince me that a tip should be mandatory. If it is made mandatory, then it should no longer be called a tip and should be rolled into the price of the cruise itself.

Very well said (standing behind you in your flameproof suit)

So you tip even if the service is horrible? Defeats the whole purpose of tips.

I can only remember once or twice where I have left a restaurant and have not tipped the server. However I am not going to reward someone for not doing their job. To say you don't care how bad the service is they should still get tipped is asinine.

Dining in a restaurant is a bit different. If service in the MDR isn't great you go to the matre d and make them aware of the issue, if your room isn't clean to par then you go to the housekeeping manager and you make them aware of the issue...as long as they are making my bed and picking up my towels and giving me clean ones and keeping the TP stocked I don't expect more than that...and maybe that is the problem, it is more about expectations...

I would find it a hard case to believe that in a 7 day cruise you never got your room cleaned or never got decent service in either the buffet or dining room, as the tips you pay for servers include ALL of that...

We ARE on a cruise forum and referring to that, to compare that to eating on a land based restaurant is asinine as it is not the same thing...you are talking about someone serving you for an hour that you may never see again, not someone that is waiting on your and taking care of you for an entire week...

Well if your room goes uncleaned or turned over for 3 days would you tip? I just didnt tip for those 3 days. Its like not going to work for 3 days. Would you tip a Maître d’ that does nothing for you? Doesnt even open a bottle of wine or even ask how you how you doing? Would you tip someone that brings you cold food and when you ask for it to be sent back they told you to hold on and never come back or replace your plate the entire dinner so you go not eating the whole night? Its like not showing up to work and not doing anything. I tip those who deserve to be tipped. Im not going to pre-tip and then not get the service I deserve. Maybe I just one of those people that give credit when credit is do.

Like I said never ever in my cruise history had a problem with bartenders giving me a drink or making a drink stronger on request. I even extra tip the bartenders sometimes.

Amen to this... My Hubby and I removed the tips, but then we tipped when we felt like people deserved it. I didn't feel like I knew for sure that carnival would properly spread them out for one, but I want the people who deserve it to get the money... for example on our last night in the MDR we put $50.00 in the palm of our head waiter's hand(this was on top of tipping him all week) but he was fantastic and deserved every bit of it.

Archived