Baths at Virgin Gorda for peole with canes & walkers?

HRHMadonna

Our group is planning to buy the ferry/taxi combo tickets to the Baths at Virgin Gorda at the pier when we visit Tortola in January. Several ladies in our group have some mobility issues and use canes & walkers. Just wondering about that restaurant with the view I see on all the web sites on the Baths...Is that accessible by taxi? Would it work for those ladies to join us for the ferry/taxi ride and just hang out at the restaurant while we hike down to the baths & beach?

Also...If thery don't join us for the trip to the Baths, what is there to do in the immediate vicinity of the cruise dock? Any shopping? craft markets, sights to see. etc?

Would appreciate insights & advice from anyone who has been there.

Thanks!

Madonna

Our group is planning to buy the ferry/taxi combo tickets to the Baths at Virgin Gorda at the pier when we visit Tortola in January. Several ladies in our group have some mobility issues and use canes & walkers. Just wondering about that restaurant with the view I see on all the web sites on the Baths...Is that accessible by taxi? Would it work for those ladies to join us for the ferry/taxi ride and just hang out at the restaurant while we hike down to the baths & beach?

Also...If thery don't join us for the trip to the Baths, what is there to do in the immediate vicinity of the cruise dock? Any shopping? craft markets, sights to see. etc?

Would appreciate insights & advice from anyone who has been there.

Thanks!

Madonna

The restaurant at the Top of the Baths is definitely accessible by taxi and the view is lovely. I am trying to visualize the area in my mind and if memory serves there may be a step or two down to get into it. I don't recollect a lot of steps (hopefully someone who has been there more recently will reply to you). The last time I was there the parking lot was fairly level but uneven in places. There is shopping near the restaurant. My feeling is that if the ladies can handle a step or two with their canes and walkers, this may be OK for them. Getting on and off the ferry will be a little tricky but the crew will assist. They should definitely NOT consider The Baths themselves - the path down is uneven and a little steep in places - definitely NOT suitable for someone with a walker (although I have seen otherwise reasonably mobile people with a cane get down as far as the beach).

Good Luck - I would suggest that someone able-bodied remain with the ladies to assist them - particularly if there are more steps than I recollect.

Zeno,

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your info and post. How does anyone ever cruise witout Cruise Critic? :D Appreciate your help. I think we can all manage the ferry. Some can eat & enjoy the view while others take in the beach & the baths.

Cheers!

Madonna

Archived