Can't find my old post--questions about Cananda/New England cruise

I'm sorry - I know many of you took time to answer me last month - or whenever I made the request... I can't find it anymore.

I'm going on the Jewel of the Seas in Oct. - flying to Boston and then taking the New England/Canada cruise. I'm hoping some of you who have done this cruise will help me figure out the best things to do in each port. I trust YOU, because you've "been there, done that." Thanks again for your help.

Sharon

I'm sorry - I know many of you took time to answer me last month - or whenever I made the request... I can't find it anymore.

I'm going on the Jewel of the Seas in Oct. - flying to Boston and then taking the New England/Canada cruise. I'm hoping some of you who have done this cruise will help me figure out the best things to do in each port. I trust YOU, because you've "been there, done that." Thanks again for your help.

Sharon

We did the Canada/New England itinerary on Jewel from Boston last October. Here is a paraphrased version of a post I made in response to another thread on that topic a few weeks ago:

St John is a great port of call. When we booked this cruise, I remembered from 6th grade geography, that the Bay of Fundy had the largest tides in the world, a little bit of trivia that has stayed with me over the [many] years since. So I was fascinated to actually see it. We took a bus tour [private company] that took us out to a place where you could see and walk on the bare rocks and see the caves when the tide was out. We also went through a small fishing village with two covered bridges. The boats were on dry ground because the tide was out. I don't recall how much it was, but we were trying to keep expenses down as well so I know it was reasonable. The reversing falls are near the port -- probably walking distance in good weather. Even if you don't want to take a tour, I think it is worth going to the falls. It is not a Niagara Falls or Grand Canyon sort of thing, but it is worth seeing. Find out the schedule of the tides and try to see it going each way. We saw two bald eagles flying around there. There is also a nice downtown area within walking distance if you just want to look around.

At Halifax, we got a tour included with the cruise fare since it was a members cruise. We went out to Peggy's Cove among other places and I would recommend that, but there is plenty to see within walking distance if you don't want to take a tour. The Maritime Museum and other things are a short distance away. There is also the HMCS Sackville which was interesting to me, and may be to you if you have any interest in the Battle of the Atlantic from WWII, or if you have read the book or seen the movie "The Cruel Sea."

I also recommend a ride through the Acadia National Forest at Bar Harbor. I saw on another thread a recommendation for renting bikes and riding through. That might be an good idea for a family if the weather is good.

In Portland we took a bus tour around the City and to the lighthouse in the morning and a Harbor tour [including seeing the lighthouse from the sea] in the afternoon.

I liked all of the ports on this cruise. In that respect, it is among my favorites. We did a tour at each port relatively inexpensively. But in each port, there are things to do within walking distance. I encourage you to get off and see at least a little of each port. If nothing else, there are great places to eat in each port. I agree with someone else who said, instead of spending money in the specialty restaurants on board, pick a nice place in one of the ports and have a great seafood dinner.

I was somewhat [massively] disappointed in Jewel after all the hype I had heard, but I loved this itinerary -- one of my favorites.

Hi. Recently cruise Canada/New England - we used Oli's tour for Acadia Park - definitely would recommend them - 2 1/2 hour tour, book ahead on line. We also did Peggy's Cove in Halifax through the cruise line (Princess) and felt well worth the money - tour guides (local) excellent. We had lunch by the water and then went to the Maritime Museum - again agree with previous post - very enjoyable.

Enjoy your cruise!

Boston the Freedom Trail is free, just pick up a guide book and walk it yourself.

Bar Harbor I would highly suggest doing the 2.5 hour Ollies Trolley tour. Very enjoyable.

Halifax so much to do there. This last time we went on the ships "Peggy's Cove and Fishing Village" tour. It was a few dollars more and only had that one stop, but the time at Peggy's cove was a little longer. The Key for us is that we skipped the packed trinket gift shop and spent all our time enjoying the view. Or you could just take a cab to the Citadel(which is walking distance, but uphill- take a cab and relax on the way back walking downhill). Then after you can explore the town walking back to the ship. At noon they do a changing of the guards thing at the Citadel.

St Johns- The suggestion I would have is to take a tour like the Bay of Fundy. We have been there twice and if I ever go back that is what I would do. There is not a whole lot to do in St john itself. If you don't take a longer tour, just relax and explore the historic farmers market.

Portland - Last time we took a culinary walking tour that was great. We went to a fish market and walked all over Portland with 8 people. Google foodie tours in Portland Maine for more information. We booked this online before we left. Previously we enjoyed the Discovery trolley tour that we booked independently too.

Archived