walking past La Perla safe???

Virginoftheseas

Since we plan doing the walking tour of the area I was wondering after reading that La Perla is not the best place for tourists to be around would we see many police patrols if we take the Bulevar Del Valle/Cll Norzagaray route between the two forts/castles?

Also on a map site I use for directions it looks like we can see Garita del Diablo from an area called Bastion de San Sebastian. Is this Bastion area safe for tourists? it looks as if its directly outside the ramp to get into San Cristobal so I assume its reasonably safe during the day but just wanted to ask.

You will be fine if your on the main road above La Perla. You cant walk into the bad area of La Perla unless you actually walk down a road and into that neighborhood...which I would not recommend doing. I work as a Police Officer (not in PR) and I wouldnt go there as a tourist nor would I go there in a police car without having other units with me...especially after sun down. As long as you stay on the main roads you will be fine. You wont see a big (if any) police presence in that area. Bastion is fine. 99% of the OSJ area is safe for tourists during daylight hours. In the major tourists areas there is a fair amount of police patrolling the area. San Cristobal fort is my fav of any fort I have ever been to in any part of the Caribbean and we have been to more than a handful including both the forts in OSJ. Dont worry to much...just go and have fun.

La Perla is a poor community that is located waterfront between the 2 forts along the north coast of OSJ. They are beyond the huge walls that run around OSJ, so there are only a few streets that go down into the area. There is a lot of drug trafficking in that community, so it is not recommended that people go into the area.

But walking along Norzagaray St, past the area is fine.

Archived