tendered ports and excursions

mrejtac

DH and I are taking our first cruise in December. I noticed that Grand Cayman is a tendered port. How does that work? How long does it take to get to the island? Our itinerary says we will be in port at 8:00 and we have booked an excursion that leaves at 9:30. It is not through the cruise line. Will we be able to make it in time? And if it lasts 4 hours will we be back in time before the last tender leaves?

You will make it in time if the excursion time is also ships time. Double check and make sure there is not a time difference. I THINK if your ship goes out of Miami ship time will be one hour off. BUT double check with the port you are going out of vs the time in Cayman. a 4 hour excursion....you will have plenty of time to get back.

Tendering is a small boat that will take you from the cruise ship to the dock on the island. Once your on the tender boat you will be on land in about 5 mins or so. Depending when you get in line to board the tender will judge how long it will take you overall to get to the island. First thing in the morning if you get in line early you will get there quick. If you wait til last minute you will be waiting 20-30 mins to get on a tender boat. The tender pricess in Cayman is much better then some of the other islands we have been to. Also expect to be back at the pier to board the tender to head back to the ship an hour or more before the ship is planned to set sail...it will take you 30-60 mins on average to get back on a tender boat at the end of the day....there will be lines.

Our cruise itinerary says we will be in port 10am to 6pm. We have a non-CCL excursion that meets at 12:30pm. Now when they told me 12:30, does that mean island time or ship time? Should I set my watch to island time or ship time? If the excursion is over at 3:00, does that mean it's 4pm on the ship? These time changes are sooo confusing. Also, this will be a few days after we set the clocks back an hour for daylight savings time.

Anytime you are ON the ship you are on SHIPS TIME. If you book an excursion with the ship you will be on SHIPS TIME. If you book a tour independantly with a company on the island you will be on ISLAND TIME. So yes you need to be sure to check the time difference for each port. its not as difficult as it may seem. Just be sure your aware of both times so that your not late for your excursion and most importantly not late to get back on the ship.

Archived