Please tell me about the bands and lounges on X

lovevacadays

Hello,

I'm a regular Princess cruiser. 53 years old. Travel with friends or my 31 niece on cruises. I'm looking to fit it another cruise between my two Princess cruises. I want to try something besides Princess. I've cruised Carnival, HAL, and RCI in the past. I've never sailed Celebrity. I'm not a fan of the decor on Carnival ships, had such an older crowd and absolutely no evening entertainment on Hal's Statendam, and enjoyed RCI cruises I did in the 80's and 90's but the folks on the RCI boards are telling me I might not like the newer class of RCI ships because they are geared much more towards families and have lots of kids sailing on them. RCI boards suggested I try Celebrity

I'm wondering what types of bands and evening lounge entertainment are on Celebrity ships? Are there different class Celebrity ships with better evening entertainment. What I like about Princess' evening entertainment is that there are typically two lounges with band's playing dance music of varying kinds, a piano player in their martini bar area, and they have a disco that has a DJ should you want something a bit more lively.

Please give me your thoughts on the entertainment and anything else about Celebrity you'd like to add.

Thanks in advance

Michelle

Hi Michelle, I haven't sailed Princess but have sailed both Royal and X. My X experience is limited to the S-Class (Solstice) but I am happy to share. So far as regular evening music, on a typical evening there was a jazz quartet in Ensemble Lounge, a string quartet in the foyer early evening followed by the "party" band (covers of pop-type tunes) later in the evening, a piano player in Michael's Club, and I believe some other live music in the Observation Lounge (up top.) A couple of evenings (I think on the formal nights) there was ballroom-dancing type music in the foyer (awesome to watch from a couple floors up looking over.) There were also the shows in the main theatre.

I probably missed a thing or two but this seems like a pretty good round-up! Hope it helps.

Hi Michelle, I haven't sailed Princess but have sailed both Royal and X. My X experience is limited to the S-Class (Solstice) but I am happy to share. So far as regular evening music, on a typical evening there was a jazz quartet in Ensemble Lounge, a string quartet in the foyer early evening followed by the "party" band (covers of pop-type tunes) later in the evening, a piano player in Michael's Club, and I believe some other live music in the Observation Lounge (up top.) A couple of evenings (I think on the formal nights) there was ballroom-dancing type music in the foyer (awesome to watch from a couple floors up looking over.) There were also the shows in the main theatre.

I probably missed a thing or two but this seems like a pretty good round-up! Hope it helps.

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. I really like a band that plays pop, R&B, etc type music.

Usually there is live music in ensemble, but not for dancing and mostly instrumental (no vocals). The party band moves around the ship venues but plays most nights. Some are better than others. I haven't seen funny piano entertainers. The entertainment lineup is better than HAL but not as much as others.

Hi I have had the same concerns

I am a young 55+ single female traveling solo on the Millennium in a couple weeks. As you can see by my signature, I have sailed several lines and I have loved the Carnival "Fun Ship" concept...even a couple singles cruises after my divorce but thats a whole new thread...lol :cool:

When I was married, he didn't like any nightlife. We would book a balcony and after dinner sit and relax and enjoy the ocean. We never had an issue with finding quiet places away from the fun.

In 2009 my bosses gave me a cruise as a bonus. Just a 5day and when I was scouting for a deal the Century grabbed my attention. There was a great price and I could get the drink package for the same as other lines cruise only price. 5 days of total relaxation.

In april this year I caught a last minute deal on the Destiny (how last minute? Booked Wednesday at 3pm and left Thursday..its great living in Florida. Took the long weekend and noone at work, except my asst and back up Broker) knew I was gone...benfits of being a workaholic...they can barely deny me a request for time off.

The April Cruise was on the Carnival Destiny...during spring break.....:(

I redefine "LOUD" Never experienced any thing like it in all my cruises. People yelling from the top floor of the atrium to people in the lobby. An all female 50 Birthday cruise occupied 3 tables next to me in the dining room. I now understand why men say we "cackle" These girls were out to have some fun and wanted everyone on the ship to know it. Met wonderful people and other than my volume space being intruded upon...lol I had a great time. Excellent entertainment, food, service...but Loud

I chose the Millenium for a 5 day for my birthday. I am a real estate broker on southwest Florida and my world has been very stressful. I NEED R & R. The crowd on Celebrity is definately an older demographic. Thats shown in the difference in entertainment. Carnival Rocks! During the Day: Reggae & Island sounds - Classical in the Lobby -the contests (I'm not big into them but the aft pool is where I hang out) - dance lessons trivia...At Night: Soft Rock Band - Rock & Roll Band - Piano Bar - Soft Rock in Lobby (think Eagles) Disco - x R Rated Comedy Club

Celebrity is much more refined. Theres an a cappela group, strings, ballroom dancing, Disco (but not like Carnival scene)...See the difference?

Choose your cruise based on where your head is and what you want for your vacation

I will go back to Carnival and when the prices get in line I plan on RCL and Princess again...but they are priced significantly higher. Remember I typically cruise solo so I pay double or almost double. Celebrity had a great deal to go solo and I need the R&R.

My PVP keeps calling me from Carnival and I feel bad because he usually can count on me for a cruide every October. Looking at Hawaii next year and Carnival has a great one and I plan on them for that. I need the night fun with that many days at sea....lol

I really like the beverage package option on Celebrity. I got 1 again. My cruise goes to Falmouth Jamaica and Grand Cayman....been there - done that. I am not planning to get off the ship. 5 days of complete relaxation...I plan on Mimosa's for breakfast...frozen something by the pool...matini before dinner...wine with dinner...appertif after dinner...maybe 1 or 2 at the aft outside bar.....SNOOZE...staying on board on part days gives way to some great deals in the Spa...looking to take advantage of that...btw: this is one area where I REALLY DON'T like Celebrity. You have to pay to use the steam rooms. I think there may be a dry sauna but there are up charges in the spa. There is a nickle and dime thing I have not seen on the other lines...When I get a spa service, I make it to be a mini spa day...steam/sauna/hot tub/back to steam with extra moisture conditioner on my hair and almond oil on my body...shower...can't make it work like that out Celebrity...so I guess its a glass of champange instead...lol

It depends on you.....BON VOYAGE! :cool:

Usually there is live music in ensemble, but not for dancing and mostly instrumental (no vocals). The party band moves around the ship venues but plays most nights. Some are better than others. I haven't seen funny piano entertainers. The entertainment lineup is better than HAL but not as much as others.

How would you compare Celebrity's evening entertainment to Princess'?

Hi I have had the same concerns

I am a young 55+ single female traveling solo on the Millennium in a couple weeks. As you can see by my signature, I have sailed several lines and I have loved the Carnival "Fun Ship" concept...even a couple singles cruises after my divorce but thats a whole new thread...lol :cool:

When I was married, he didn't like any nightlife. We would book a balcony and after dinner sit and relax and enjoy the ocean. We never had an issue with finding quiet places away from the fun.

In 2009 my bosses gave me a cruise as a bonus. Just a 5day and when I was scouting for a deal the Century grabbed my attention. There was a great price and I could get the drink package for the same as other lines cruise only price. 5 days of total relaxation.

In april this year I caught a last minute deal on the Destiny (how last minute? Booked Wednesday at 3pm and left Thursday..its great living in Florida. Took the long weekend and noone at work, except my asst and back up Broker) knew I was gone...benfits of being a workaholic...they can barely deny me a request for time off.

The April Cruise was on the Carnival Destiny...during spring break.....:(

I redefine "LOUD" Never experienced any thing like it in all my cruises. People yelling from the top floor of the atrium to people in the lobby. An all female 50 Birthday cruise occupied 3 tables next to me in the dining room. I now understand why men say we "cackle" These girls were out to have some fun and wanted everyone on the ship to know it. Met wonderful people and other than my volume space being intruded upon...lol I had a great time. Excellent entertainment, food, service...but Loud

I chose the Millenium for a 5 day for my birthday. I am a real estate broker on southwest Florida and my world has been very stressful. I NEED R & R. The crowd on Celebrity is definately an older demographic. Thats shown in the difference in entertainment. Carnival Rocks! During the Day: Reggae & Island sounds - Classical in the Lobby -the contests (I'm not big into them but the aft pool is where I hang out) - dance lessons trivia...At Night: Soft Rock Band - Rock & Roll Band - Piano Bar - Soft Rock in Lobby (think Eagles) Disco - x R Rated Comedy Club

Celebrity is much more refined. Theres an a cappela group, strings, ballroom dancing, Disco (but not like Carnival scene)...See the difference?

Choose your cruise based on where your head is and what you want for your vacation

I will go back to Carnival and when the prices get in line I plan on RCL and Princess again...but they are priced significantly higher. Remember I typically cruise solo so I pay double or almost double. Celebrity had a great deal to go solo and I need the R&R.

My PVP keeps calling me from Carnival and I feel bad because he usually can count on me for a cruide every October. Looking at Hawaii next year and Carnival has a great one and I plan on them for that. I need the night fun with that many days at sea....lol

I really like the beverage package option on Celebrity. I got 1 again. My cruise goes to Falmouth Jamaica and Grand Cayman....been there - done that. I am not planning to get off the ship. 5 days of complete relaxation...I plan on Mimosa's for breakfast...frozen something by the pool...matini before dinner...wine with dinner...appertif after dinner...maybe 1 or 2 at the aft outside bar.....SNOOZE...staying on board on part days gives way to some great deals in the Spa...looking to take advantage of that...btw: this is one area where I REALLY DON'T like Celebrity. You have to pay to use the steam rooms. I think there may be a dry sauna but there are up charges in the spa. There is a nickle and dime thing I have not seen on the other lines...When I get a spa service, I make it to be a mini spa day...steam/sauna/hot tub/back to steam with extra moisture conditioner on my hair and almond oil on my body...shower...can't make it work like that out Celebrity...so I guess its a glass of champange instead...lol

It depends on you.....BON VOYAGE! :cool:

Can you recap for me: I'm a bit confused. What is your information on the bars and lounges on Celebrity? I am definitely a person who can go with the flow but just trying to get an overview of the bar and lounge entertainment on Celebrity.

Archived