Please help. Very overwhelmed!

Alaska_2012

murphy4, thanks for your reply. I think I've decided on HAL Zuiderdam. I'd like to go with Princess but I can't find a round trip from Vancouver. Hope you have a great trip!

there are a few-but only in May (2) and Sept. (1) -

murphy4, thanks for your reply. I think I've decided on HAL Zuiderdam. I'd like to go with Princess but I can't find a round trip from Vancouver. Hope you have a great trip!

You made an excellent choice! This is the same itinerary I took on my 1st Alaskan cruise. Getting Tracy Arm & Glacier Bay is a real treat and sailing in/out of Vancouver more scenic than Seattle.

Not sure if the 4 of you are in the same cabin but if you are, you also made the better choice with HAL over Princess. I've been in a quad on both lines and HAL was a little larger (couch area and bathroom). Haven't been on Zuiderdam but was on her sister ship, Oosterdam--great ship with glass elevators mid-ship with a panoramic view of the sea!

You'll all have a wondeful time!:)

I can't imagine sailing on one of the ships that does not have a full promenade deck and an open bow. For us they are requirements.

I second Tioga's statement about an open bow. There's nothing better than being out "front" when cruising through the glaciers.

We went to Alaska in '06 on HAL...swore we wouldn't sail with them for a while (just due to our ages...being in the "younger" demographic profile)...BUT, my mother-in-law decided she's treating the whole family to an Alaska cruise in 2012. Where did we end up...HAL Westerdam. I LOVED that HAL has access to Glacier Bay, and that they open up the bow. Also, the ships are a tad smaller than some of the others...and that played a big role for the decision as well.

Another hint, go to cruisecal dot com and you can see which ships will be in port with you the same day. That also helped the decision. I avoided sailings that had 5 ships in port at the same time. I think there's a small subscription fee for the site (like $3 or something). It used to be free :(

Anyway, now I can't wait for this trip and am looking forward to giving HAL another shot. It also looks like they've added some really cool and exciting shore excursions...

• 3 years later...
We were on the Spirit in to Alaska in July and it was great. Alaska was amazing, beautiful scenery and we were lucky enough not to have rain the entire week. Had a great time on the Spirit. A great Naturalist on board that gave us lots of good information. I would do the Spirit again in a heart beat.:)

I found this old post but haven't found any new ones.

THis is really old. Go to the Alaska ports of call and scroll down on the first page and start a new thread with your questions. Ships will change from year to year in Alaska if you are interested in the Spirit. Somebody will remember it.

Edited by oaktreerb