Don't be afraid of the Jitney! :)

legalwife

Just want to say for the newbies, we have been on the jitney quite a few times. Easy to find, just ask for Bus #10 when you get in town and a local will tell you where to go. Once you get off the ship it maybe takes you 10-15 minutes to walk there depending on crowd. Nothing fancy by any means but it is a small bus with many locals and fellow travellers on board. You need exact change and I believe someone said it is $1.25 now. We use it to get to Cable Beach. You tell the driver where you are going and driver will tell you when to get off - but you still need to pay attention just in case they forget. Never had that happen though. There are designated bus stops just like here for your return. You do need to find out what times they run and I can't tell you that as I don't remember. Buses are worn and not air conditioned as I recall, but lots of windows and very do-able.

Sometimes people are a little leery of public transportation when visiting different places. We do always go in daylight so can't say how it is after hours or if it even runs then. My point is, try it. I have never been uncomfortable on the jitney and enjoy hearing the natives talk with their accents while riding. I think I might be more concerned on the buses in Atlanta! :eek: We will be on it again this week-end.

Just want to say for the newbies, we have been on the jitney quite a few times. Easy to find, just ask for Bus #10 when you get in town and a local will tell you where to go. Once you get off the ship it maybe takes you 10-15 minutes to walk there depending on crowd. Nothing fancy by any means but it is a small bus with many locals and fellow travellers on board. You need exact change and I believe someone said it is $1.25 now. We use it to get to Cable Beach. You tell the driver where you are going and driver will tell you when to get off - but you still need to pay attention just in case they forget. Never had that happen though. There are designated bus stops just like here for your return. You do need to find out what times they run and I can't tell you that as I don't remember. Buses are worn and not air conditioned as I recall, but lots of windows and very do-able.

Sometimes people are a little leery of public transportation when visiting different places. We do always go in daylight so can't say how it is after hours or if it even runs then. My point is, try it. I have never been uncomfortable on the jitney and enjoy hearing the natives talk with their accents while riding. I think I might be more concerned on the buses in Atlanta! :eek: We will be on it again this week-end.

thanks for posting that info.. it's great to hear from someone that has used the system.

The current rate is indeed $1.25pp.

The #10 jitney starts on George Street. Right across from the main entrance of the straw Market on Bay Street.

They run every few minutes (no real schedule) from 6am - 6:30pm. A few will run a little longer as they are independent.

The #10 runs from downtown to Cable Beach and back. If you take the LOOP and don't get off.. please pay double the price.. $2.50 for a tour along the water isn't bad.

We did the "loop", and you are right, what a fun, inexpensive excursion:D We took it to Ardastra Gardens and then walked to the Fish Fry from there, and then hopped back on the Jitney and off we went! FUN! Local's are So friendly, each one would greet everyone as they boarded. We plan on taking it to the Sheraton next month. Go for it:D

Have personally been to Sandals on the jitney. Easy, easy, easy and you can't miss it. Also, if you are concerned about catching it on the return - which really is easy - but if you want to stay later than the jitney runs, you could always jitney over and taxi return. :)

Scuba is a local and could probably do it with her eyes closed. I am from the south and could probably do it with one eye closed. ;) It is that easy.

We always take the #10 out to Cable. love the local transportation. We used to catch it on George Street, but now we catch it across from the Hilton on the corner by the Dunkin Doughnuts and Conch Fritters. Either way is fine. $1.25 pp, get to hear some great music (most of the time - lol) and the driver will drop you off whereever you ask.

We always take the #10 out to Cable. love the local transportation. We used to catch it on George Street, but now we catch it across from the Hilton on the corner by the Dunkin Doughnuts and Conch Fritters. Either way is fine. $1.25 pp, get to hear some great music (most of the time - lol) and the driver will drop you off whereever you ask.

I learn so much on these threads:D I read another item you mentioned about the Sheraton, dh and I will be in Nassau next month and was wanting a safe place to play around and try our new snorkeling gear out, we were thinking that this would be a good spot. Could you give my any input on this? We are overnighting on the CCL Sensation. Don't mind if we don't see any fish or such, just want some OJT, we are taking a longer cruise next year and I am a snorkeling NOVICE :eek:

How about that #10 Jitney! We LOVE it:)

2623391400105995419S600x600Q85.jpg

I learn so much on these threads:D I read another item you mentioned about the Sheraton, dh and I will be in Nassau next month and was wanting a safe place to play around and try our new snorkeling gear out, we were thinking that this would be a good spot. Could you give my any input on this? We are overnighting on the CCL Sensation. Don't mind if we don't see any fish or such, just want some OJT, we are taking a longer cruise next year and I am a snorkeling NOVICE :eek:

How about that #10 Jitney! We LOVE it:)

There is some minor snorkeling at Sheraton, not great, but you will see some fish. Pretty shallow, you can almost walk out to the snorkel area. Water is very clear so you will be able to see really good. Also is normally very calm. So if you want to try out your new snorkel gear, this would give you a good chance to do that.

We take it to Potters Caye all the time..............eat some conch,then either take the jitney back(the long way) or walk over the bridge to Atlantis.....then when done there,take a cab back.

Did this very thing last Saturday!!

was that worth seeing...did you ENJOY?

Yes! We did enjoy it:D The flamingoes were just wandering around before the show and you could just get so close to them. I think they are so pretty. Also, feeding the Lorey parrots was fun also. I wish we could have had more time to walk the many paths and see more. Hope to do just that on another cruise.

karena1: Thanks! Boy, the Seraton sounds like the perfect place for us:)

We will for sure be doing some Jitney riding in just a couple of weeks:D

2042870520105995419S600x600Q85.jpg

did you see snakes...i was reading a tripadvisor review and someone mentioned snakes just in the grass

I've been to the gardens at least 30 times and have never seen a snake out of the cage. If there was a snake .. it was likely a garden snake that happened by.

reptiles are not roaming.

Peacocks, ducks and geese, flamigos and the pot bellied pig roams freely.

Parrots are perched. All others are caged..

Archived