Pre-Tipping Question

greenie

I know that some people have posted that they like to slip a twenty (or more?) to their butler on the first day just to kind of get things (and good service!) rolling.

I'm wondering, is this is done often? Often enough that if we don't do it, (s)he won't feel motivated to give us really good service? I just feel funny about doing that (awkward, I mean).

We intend to be generous at the end of the cruise ... but if a pre-tip really motivates most butlers, I guess I could get over the awkwardness long enough to do it (or better yet, get my boyfriend to do it, ha ha).

What's your advice? Shoreguy, please add your two cents, too!

Thanks everyone--

We tipped in advance and also had great service. It is easy...

Your butler comes in and introduces themself. You simply have a twenty or so folded in your hand and shake your butlers hand while introducing yourself. I.E. - grease their palm. That way you shouldn't feel to awkward.

P.S. I still think we would have rec'd great service if we didn't pre-tip, but I did hear a little extra "bounce" in his voice whenever we called with a request.:p

Thanks, all. It sounds like either way would be cool.

Cosmopolitan, wouldn't that figure, though--if I DID get up my "courage" and do it and then they refused!

OK, based on your replies, I've decided: I will remain a tipping weenie and ask BF to do the $20-in-his-hand thing. If he doesn't want to for some reason, we'll just wait until the end. Either way, I am sure we will get great service.

I also didn't want to disappoint the butler if the pre- thing is common.

Thanks again! :)

OK, based on your replies, I've decided: I will remain a tipping weenie and ask BF to do the $20-in-his-hand thing. If he doesn't want to for some reason, we'll just wait until the end. Either way, I am sure we will get great service.Thanks again! :)

I like the idea of letting your BF greasing the Butlers palm. To me it seems a little romantic...just like the olden days when you would tip the Maitre'D at a really nice restaurant for that "special" table;)

No right answer - lots of views

I usualy pre tip the room stewards when I first meet them and explain what I want. Extra ice bucket - never let me run out of ice :), robe, .... It usually works. I can say the weakest link on my last cruise were the room stewards, not bad just not the best. I pre tipped and asked for an ashtray, went out came back no ashtray, asked again went to dinner, still none, asked again and he said it was there I just could not see it because it was clear :rolleyes: I got one myself from the bar.

As far as the Butler your call what ever youu are comfortable with. I did not pre tip on the Sun but I did tip early on. I hosted a CC gatherning in the sweet and the butler put it all together, food, glasses, plates, silver ware. Set it up and cleared it away. I used this oppurtunity to drop my first $50.

I always wanted to do what by grandfather did. He travel by train and would not fly. As a kid I joined him on a train from NY to Fl. He took a twenty dollar bill tore it in two pieces and gave one to the porter letting him know if he did a good job he would get the rest. Might need a $50 or $100 today but it worked magic.

No right answer - lots of views

I usualy pre tip the room stewards when I first meet them and explain what I want. Extra ice bucket - never let me run out of ice :), robe, .... It usually works. I can say the weakest link on my last cruise were the room stewards, not bad just not the best. I pre tipped and asked for an ashtray, went out came back no ashtray, asked again went to dinner, still none, asked again and he said it was there I just could not see it because it was clear :rolleyes: I got one myself from the bar.

As far as the Butler your call what ever youu are comfortable with. I did not pre tip on the Sun but I did tip early on. I hosted a CC gatherning in the sweet and the butler put it all together, food, glasses, plates, silver ware. Set it up and cleared it away. I used this oppurtunity to drop my first $50.

I always wanted to do what by grandfather did. He travel by train and would not fly. As a kid I joined him on a train from NY to Fl. He took a twenty dollar bill tore it in two pieces and gave one to the porter letting him know if he did a good job he would get the rest. Might need a $50 or $100 today but it worked magic.

Wow, what a great idea, Shoreguy! I wish I had the guts to give them "half" of the money, thats what I would do!

Wow, what a great idea, Shoreguy! I wish I had the guts to give them "half" of the money, thats what I would do!

It does not matter to you if you give one half or both. The money is gone. The other person still has to earn it but at least knows what they are working for.

Very interesting...

I am very close to applying to NCL America for a variety of positions, from room service to waiter to butler. But I have been unable to find what a Butler's average wages are....would anyone know?

I love all the ideas here for tipping. As a room service waiter now in a major hotel, when someone gives me extra $ I'm an idiot for not giving them extra service on top of the usual.

Zoro

This is all such good advice, I knew I'd find out some good stuff here!:)

Shoreguy, I think I like your grandfather!

KarlaC, hee hee. You are right. I'd kinda like it too! ;) C'mon BF! Grease some palms for your honey!

Very interesting...

I am very close to applying to NCL America for a variety of positions, from room service to waiter to butler. But I have been unable to find what a Butler's average wages are....would anyone know?

I love all the ideas here for tipping. As a room service waiter now in a major hotel, when someone gives me extra $ I'm an idiot for not giving them extra service on top of the usual.

Zoro

I have no idea. He got $125 for the week from me.

DH did attempt to tip our butler the first 2 days. He would NOT accept a tip.

Service was consistently excellent.

We tipped the last day.

Kudos to the butler for not allowing himself to appear to be bribed while indicating clearly he wanted to be recognized only AFTER he provided excellent service. A good lesson for passengers, I'd say.

Archived