Belize Question

magic&buddy

We will be stopping in Belize for our fourth time in November and for the fourth time we will be getting off of the ship. Our first trip we did the ruins which is a long day however it allows you to see a lot of the Belize countryside. Yes, some of it is sad but we must all remember that this is their homeland and they are proud of it! Second trip was a diving excursion, third trip was cave tubing and the next trip we are doing a Jeep Safari excursion. Only the cave tubing was independent as this is a tendered stop and I am always leery of being left behind. Has nothing to do with this port but with any tendered port. Book something with the cruise line that appeals to you but takes you away from the city as you will then see the lush forests and the beautiful country called Belize.

Snow bunny

• 2 weeks later...
Really, All I read about Belize is how crappy the city is, pushy/shady vendors, fear for your life the whole time your not involed with a organised excursion. Tenders coming back full with the same people an hour after they left

I think well stay on the ship and do laundry.

That is because they are STUPID and think the world revolves around the port area....they are STUPID to think that WOW, I just stepped foot imn Belize and it looks like Downtow Detroit, or NY or Buffalo, or Scranton PA, or Cleveland OH -- wow, why do people live here? Why would yoou not try & go outside the port area and SEEEEEEEE something in this beautiful country?

Like Roatan, most people love it because "the port area is so nice and beautiful"...HELLoooooooo...it was built by Carnival just a few years ago.....but THAT is not Roatan......

And if you're worried about men in uniform carrying guns, we have them here too....NYC, NOLA, LA, to name a few.....I wish we had them in more places....

get OVER yourselves.....if you want nice & pretty & safe, go to Sanibel or Siesta Key....

Thanks to many of you for your ideas and suggestions. It sounds like I can definitely pick up a tour at the port though someone's opinion is that getting a tour at the port is "just dumb". Oh well........

I would love to try some of the suggestions like zip-lining or cave tubing but we have some folks in our group with mobility issues so that won't work for us.

I will report back after our cruise about what we ended up doing. Again...thanks!

I love travelling with a group....but NEVER in any way would I try to get everyone to agree on the same exurison.....it's wonderful to try & coordinate things and show them different options...I love doing that.....and I love saying "This is what WE are doing, love ot have youw ith us, but if you find something else that interests you, I can't wait to hear about it over dinner!" I don't wait for anyone either...when I'm ready to go, I'm ready to go....see you at dinner!

The other nice thing about travelling in a group is people within the group can make their own plans.....

That is because they are STUPID and think the world revolves around the port area....they are STUPID to think that WOW, I just stepped foot imn Belize and it looks like Downtow Detroit, or NY or Buffalo, or Scranton PA, or Cleveland OH -- wow, why do people live here? Why would yoou not try & go outside the port area and SEEEEEEEE something in this beautiful country?

Like Roatan, most people love it because "the port area is so nice and beautiful"...HELLoooooooo...it was built by Carnival just a few years ago.....but THAT is not Roatan......

And if you're worried about men in uniform carrying guns, we have them here too....NYC, NOLA, LA, to name a few.....I wish we had them in more places....

get OVER yourselves.....if you want nice & pretty & safe, go to Sanibel or Siesta Key....

Very well said. I have been on 10 cruises worked for the airlines for years and moved to Belize from Las Vegas three years ago...

What is great about Belize is it is not Cozumel, Half moon Caye or man made.

It is a young country only 30 years....some things need improvement. How many 30 year old people need improvement?

the next trip we are doing a Jeep Safari excursion.

Snow bunny

I'm interested in an excursion like this. Is it through the cruise line or on your own? Any info you can offer is greatly appreciated.

P.S. and by the way, I went to Belize a few years ago and had a good time. I knew ahead of time about all of the negative things people had to say, but I always like to judge for myself. We did a short city tour and then went to the ruins. Our guide was awesome and we met some other locals at a couple of the stops there and back. We felt safe and very welcomed by the people we met. I have no hesitation about going back again which will be in December. Not sure what we'll do, but we are definitely getting off the ship and hanging out for a bit.

Archived