Vigo - What is there to do?

We will be in Vigo on Wednesday 11th May between 9 - 6. Does anyone know where the ship docks (Jewel of the Seas) and how far it is from Vigo?

Any ideas for trips? We prefer to arrange our own trips rather than use the ships organised tours.

Any info on places & transport would be appreciated.

Do a search on the cc Europe boardd, using "Vigo" and you'll come up with some posts talking about Vigo. We were there a few years ago and walked up to the fortress then took a taxi to Bayona.

Sandy

The most significant site near Vigo is Santiago de Compostela, the great medieval pilgrim center of Europe. The main square has the cathedral with its interesting Romanesque porch; across the way is the 15th century Hostal de los Reyes Catolicos -- now a luxury parador which would be an excellent place for lunch. It might be an hour's drive from Vigo; you could also check the RENFE train schedule.

I stayed at the Parador at Baiona one and remember the setting, the ocean with cliffs, as spectacular but the parador itself is a modern building.

We docked in Vigo in September 2003 for the day when we were on the Noordam. It is quite a big city and easy to walk into from the docks.

We chose to go to Santiago de Compostela with another couple instead. We caught a taxi at the docks and worked out a price with him in Euros. He drove us the 92kms there. It takes about 40 minutes on a freeway to get there. We arranged with him to pick us up a few hours later and we had a lovely day in this interesting city. It not only has the famous Cathedral with all the pilgrims walking in, but it is also a University city and has loads of students. There are lots of streets to walk around, good eating places and lots to see.

Our taxi driver was waiting for us at the correct time and we returned to Vigo via a wonderful park with a great lookout. The whole day cost us around 70Euros a couple, compared to the Ship's excursion which was $189Euros p.p.

Jennie

• 2 weeks later...

How would I get one of those cruise countdown counters that some of you display.....I always have to find someone who is going on the same cruise I am (i.e. Jewel of the Sea May 1-18) to see how long I have to go til we leave!! (Or look at a calendar and count...how boring!)

Thanks for help on specific way to get that added to my email or messages.

Joyce

joytravels@aol.com

• 2 months later...
Joyce,

I have sent you instructions on the clock to your email address. Our server is down at the moment but as soon as it comes back on, the email will be forwarded on to you.

Jennie

Jennie: Could you send instructins on how to download those cute counters to me? I never got it from you when your server was down.

Thanks

joytravels@aol.com

Archived