t-shirts in the MDR (non-elegant) no-no or go-go?

chihomg

hi. thanks for reading this. love this board... already received a lot of help on footwear for dining.

another question, are t-shirts not really seen at dinner time in the mdr during non-elegant nights? when i go out into the city, i usually wear a tasteful vneck t-shirt and a pair of really dark designer jeans. i was wondering if i would stick out like sore thumb.

according to carnival's rules, they don't say it's allowed in their dress code, but they also don't have it on the not permitted list so i'm confused as to where t-shirts stand.

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats.

hi. thanks for reading this. love this board... already received a lot of help on footwear for dining.

another question, are t-shirts not really seen at dinner time in the mdr during non-elegant nights? when i go out into the city, i usually wear a tasteful vneck t-shirt and a pair of really dark designer jeans. i was wondering if i would stick out like sore thumb.

according to carnival's rules, they don't say it's allowed in their dress code, but they also don't have it on the not permitted list so i'm confused as to where t-shirts stand.

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats.

If you're referring to the "hipster deep-v" type shirt, I would warn you way from that and steer you toward a polo shirt. Unless you're tossing a sports coat over it.

If there are people wearing shorts I suppose a t shirt wouldn't be too far out there.

I wouldn't do it but I'm old and set in my ways, I usually dress at least business casual, nice slacks and shirt. Hubby will probably wear shorts once or twice but nice khakis with a polo shirt. Elegant nights we go a little further but with the big charges for luggage now we don't do the tux and gown anymore, just nice clothes and a shirt and tie for hubby.

I think as long as you don't look like you crawled out of a homeless shelter they won't say anything to you.

Have a great cruise!!! Carole

I didn't really see T-shirts in the MDR on our cruise on the Dream recently. There might have been some since I didn't scrutinize every passenger, but they definitely weren't the majority. I will say that people didn't dress up much, but they weren't wearing Tshirts. But, I don't think you would stick out like a sore thumb dressed as you described.

Now, if you wanted to wear a "Go Phillies" or "BAMA" Tshirt or something like that, you would probably stick out.

My DH wore a polo and khakis on casual evenings and fit in fine. He wore a tux with vest and long tie on elegant evenings and was one of the more dressed up ones there.

Maggie

You know the v necked t shirt that you showed a pic of actually looks very nice, I think you could def get away with wearing this on the nights that aren't elegant and be fine.

Please don't repack for my post, I firmly believe it's your vacation and you should wear what you are comfortable wearing out to a local restaurant.

I don't ever make any judgement on people for what they wear in the dining room, in fact you would have to be dressed like Marilyn Manson for me to notice :D

Have fun and wear what you are confident in.

Cheers, Carole

On our cruise last week on the Triumph there were many people wearing t-shirts on casual nights...There was one "gentleman" at the table next to us that wore his t-shirt and his baseball cap at the dinner table..He did not even take it off while he was eating,....Dennis

collared sport shirts

If you look like the guy in the picture posted on special weight solid color v's and very hip new dark jeans , belt and shoes/boots..I'd say go for it, but have another option..the Enrique Iglesias look without the hat in the dining room..LOL

Here in Montana there are many black tie and blue jean events that are a look i am noticing is more mainstream...new dark jeans, dress vests with those t-shirts now instead of dress western shirts and ties for the 'metrosexual' Montanan as opposed to the Cowboy Montanan..LOL..i bet if done right it could work for dress casual even.

See picture 4... leave out hoodie and make t-shirt dark.

http://www.whosdatedwho.com/tpx_55/enrique-iglesias/styles

On our cruise last week on the Triumph there were many people wearing t-shirts on casual nights...There was one "gentleman" at the table next to us that wore his t-shirt and his baseball cap at the dinner table..He did not even take it off while he was eating,....Dennis

Ugggh!! I HATE when guys will not take their hats off at the table. Call me old fashion. I just think its rude! Okay Rant over lol!

My husband wore a t-shirt in the MDR for breakfast, but we were getting ready to get off the ship after to go on Excursions.

At night, he would wear a nice polo shirt and nice shorts and nice sandals. Never had them turn us away once. So i guess it was all good!

Happy Cruising

I say go for it. It is not against the dress code that Carnival has. If other people do not like what you are wearing, who cares? You paid for your cruise and should wear what you want as long as you are not breaking the rules. Just be you, and wear what you normally would.

If others want to ruin their good time by looking around and judging other people on what they wear, then let them.

I asked the Maitre D' about this on my last cruise because my first cruise I dressed every night but saw others casual. Since I was rushing from port to get dressed for dinner and missing some time out, I wanted to know if it was acceptable. I was told that on non elegant night you can wear anything you like except cut offs, beach wear, and sleeveless shirts for men. It is also stated on the Funtimes what is NOT permitted each night. On my last 3 cruises, nearly 80% of the people were in t- shirts/ shorts or a variation of polo shirts and shorts/ khakis or casual wear.

I am all for everyone wearing what they are comfortable in. I believe if you are comfortable, you will enjoy your meal.

I guess H82SeaUgo wants to make a point. Either that, or he's got vision problems. When I cruise, I live in shorts and t-shirts. I take along one pair of long pants that I wear in the MDR each night, including elegant nights. I get them laundered mid-cruise. I have several t-shirts that are crew neck, nice shirts. I wear them five out of seven nights. On the two elegant nights, I have a short sleeved, button down shirt I wear. If people want to stare at you and judge, let them. I do not care what they think of my dress. You're on vacation - you're entitled to enjoy yourself and dress in a way that makes you comfortable. Don't worry about what others may think of the way you're dressed. Chances are good you'll never see them again - ever. Enjoy. Oh, and by the way, I've seen many people in the MDR wearing t-shirts, including on elegant night. I've even seen passengers in shorts and flip flops in the MDR on elegant night. May the force be with them.

I say go for it. It is not against the dress code that Carnival has. If other people do not like what you are wearing, who cares? Excuse me, you need to go and read the dress code...How many t-shirts have a collar, you have to wear shirts WITH a collar..I guess in Arkansas t-shirt are elegant and have a collar....Dennis

Archived