Another positive report for Wet N Wild

like2cruise

The number one thing I noticed today was how friendly everyone in Belize was. We were here the last time in November of 2003. They have really developed the pier. It is so easy to do about anything you want by booking directly with the locals. We did just that. We did not book a ship excursion. They have the "fast tenders" here so no tender ticket was needed. We walked right on to a tender at 8am and were in Belize 10 minutes later. I had booked with Marvin of Wet and Wild several months ago after reading the recommendations on the cruise critic. It was truly the perfect day. Within steps off the tender we were greeted by a young gentleman holding a Wet and Wild sign that welcomed us and said he was waiting for us. He walked us to the booth just a little to the left of where we tendered. There we were greeted by two very nice girls who called Marvin to let him know we had arrived. Within minutes Marvin was there to shake our hand and said the tour would leave at 9am which was exactly what the reservation form had indicated. We had paid a $24.00 deposit through pay pal when we made the reservations. We paid the additional $96.00 that we owed. $60.00 per person. We shopped while we waited for 9:00. They had a little flea market atmosphere nearby as well as regular shops. Prices and quality seemed fair. We got little bracelets for my nieces for $2.00 each. At about 8:55 we met our soon to be fast new friend Charlie. He was our guide for the day. What a nice man, very proud of his Belizean and Mayan culture and his family, he spoke perfect English which is the main language and was a gentleman through out. He was very intelligent about the history of the island and all the trees, bushes and creatures that co habitat with them. He shared so much information about the eco system too. We drove for about an hour. We enjoyed all the information he shared with us. It was just the two of us so we got the golden tour. We then arrived, used the clean restrooms, got our tubes and headlamp. It was another hour to hike. It was a nice hike. It was 100 degrees, but it didn't seem that hot to us. There was a nice breeze. We wore the water shoes and they worked good. We went one cave farther than the cruise lines. There are 9 caves in all and it takes 9 hours to see them, we went through 3. Where we started, you could jump off a little cliff which was about 15 feet. I was a little leery at first, but Charlie was there every step of the way. We went through the caves linked just the three of us. The cruise ship passengers were in groups of 40 or more and could hardly move. Charlie goes through them 5 times a week and as one of the locals’ states, he is really the best and has 10 years of experience. I didn't have to work very hard as Charlie was in front and my hubby in the back. Charlie did try to help some of the people from the cruise ships that weren't getting much guidance in the easiest way to travel in the caves. There were too many of them. We bypassed them with ease. The other benefit of the local tour is that we also got to float downstream in the river after the caves while the others got out before that. We were treated to a nice lunch that included BBQ chicken, rice and beans, bread, banana muffin, pasta/Cole slaw salad, fruit and punch. It was very yummy. We returned back to the pier with 1 1/2 hours to spare after a little more shopping including the pharmacy where you can get meds with out a prescription. Charlie verified with us several times to make sure we were back when we wanted to be. We had time to shop. Again the locals were very nice. Received a hug and kiss from Charlie and parted ways. We hope to meet Charlie again. Truly one of the most organized and enjoyable tours we have done. I highly recommend it to you.

Thank you so much for the detailed report! I think we're going to go with Wet n Wild and ask for Charlie ... from all we've heard.

How were the headlamps? I've heard they're pretty weak.

When were you there? How were the water levels? The bugs? The water temp?

--Heidi

How did you book this Wet-N-Wild excursion with Marvin and Charlie? Apparently it was not through the cruise line, and it looks as though you had a much more pleasant experience than those who booked thru the cruise ship did.

Am going to Belize on my cruise, and this looks like alot of fun. I would appreciate more info if you could spare it.

Thanks!

We actually took a waterproof flashlight and that worked great. We got it at Wal-Mart. No problems with bugs. I did wear sunscreen with DEET just to make sure. The water temperature was perfect. Not even that cool when you first get it. Feels good after walking. The water level was low according to Charlie. He knew exactly when we needed to do bottoms up and would just tell us and we had no problems. It was like 5 different places. Awesome, awesome, awesome way to spend the day! Be sure to do the cliff jump to experience the entire cave tubing exoerience!

Great Review! We will be going with Wet N Wild in 19 days and I can't wait! I will be on the Elation in Belize April 21. I have a few questions for you.

What ship were you on? I am worried we may be late for our tour, we will be on the Elation and we arrive in Belize at 8am.

Also, I am confused about the time in Belize...If our ship arrives at 8am in Belize, what time is it in Belize time?

Did you notice alot of bugs on your excursion and how was the 1 hour walk?? Is the walk up any hills or on flat land?

Where is the pharmacy you bought the meds at?? Do you know the name of it?

You are so lucky! Tell Charlie hi from Glenda & Mark. We were on the Dream. We arrived at Belize at 8am as well. We were off the ship by 8:15. The tour isn't until 9am. Belize is in Central Time Zone just like Texas, so I would say the time will be the same for you. Just be on one of the first tender boats and you will be fine. We did not notice any bugs. I wore DEET sunscreen to make sure. The hike is pretty easy if you are in average shape. You do go up and down some steps, but they are not real steep. I did fall down one set of them and sprained my ankle really bad, but I didn't tell anyone until after the excursion as I didn't want to ruin the day. I was able to hike on it. You do have to climb over a little area to get to the cliff to jump in and that was a little more tricky with my ankle, but I did it. It was a 100 degrees, but dry so the weather was awesome. The walk very nice. The jump is exhillerating!! The pharmacy is right at the pier. It is the set of shops to the right of the International Diamond store. The shops are like a U and it at the bottom of the U, if that makes sense. I don't know the name, but it is easy to find.

Thanks bunches for all the info...100 degrees??? WOW, but right now after a cold Michigan winter...that sounds great! I will be sure to tell Charlie Hi for you...do you think we will have Charlie for a guide?? I just hope we can get off the ship in time....I know that Carnival tends to let people who booked an excursion with them off the ship first...but I plan on being first in line to get off.....How was the water level in the river? Was it really shallow???

Archived