Birth Certificates- Be Aware, it's VERY particular!

chicy724

Long story short- by the time we realized a passport was the way to go, we did not have enough time to get one before we sailed.

We had birth certificates and driver's licenses so we thought all was fine so we did not worry about even looking into the expedited process for passports. We double checked everywhere, and thought we had all of the right documents!

Everyone told us you need a birth certificate with a raised seal. Cool! We've got that!

Well..... it has to be a STATE issued birth certificate with the raised seal, that says "Certificate of Live Birth" or what-not. Hubby apparently has a city issued birth certificate with a raised seal. We didn't know, or realize there was a difference. :o This is the ONLY one he has ever had his entire life, and has used for everything to establish residency in a new state, marriage certificate, social security card, etc. He was born in a different state than me so I just thought it was different for that reason. Silly me! Before we even got on the ship his Mom had started the process to get them EACH a copy of his state issued birth certificate so we could work on getting his passport shortly after we returned!

The one he had was not good enough at customs. We spent nearly 4 hours making phone calls, waiting for his family to search high and low, and praying for a miracle before finally, our miracle came, and got onto the ship.

Our Miracle: Luckily one of the ladies asked us if we could get someone to fax in a copy of his hospital issued birth certificate. They emphasized that this was not normally acceptable but today.. they were allowing it. Okay! We realized he had a copy of that at home in his baby book. Woohoo! We called our friend who was taking care of our cats, and she was able to go to our house, find the certificate and fax it in! Phew! We made it on with about an hour to spare before the ship sailed! But we had a great time and it was all worth it!

Perhaps we were just ignorant in assuming that the one he had was sufficient, but we were told over and over, -birth certificate with raised seal-, so we didn't think otherwise!

So.. passport is of course the way to go.. but heads up to those using a birth certificate and driver's license. Make sure it is a STATE ISSUED Certificate of Live Birth!

Oh, and what astounds me is that it was soooo simple to get back through the "border". The ladies at embarkation told us to expect the customs people at disembarkation to give us a very hard time since all he had was a faxed copy of his hospital issued BC. Nope. We handed the guy his stuff, he asked if we were married, asked if we had any alcohol and said- "Ok, you're good!" ... 2 minutes. :rolleyes:

Yup~ that's what it states on the government website~

Beginning April 1, 2011, the U.S. Department of State will require the full names of the applicant’s parent(s) to be listed on all certified birth certificates to be considered as primary evidence of U.S. citizenship for all passport applicants, regardless of age. Certified birth certificates missing this information will not be acceptable as evidence of citizenship. This will not affect applications already in-process that have been submitted or accepted before the effective date.

In addition to this requirement, certified copies of birth certificates must also include the following information to be considered acceptable primary evidence of U.S. citizenship:

Full name of the applicant

Date of birth

Place of birth

Raised, embossed, impressed or multicolored seal of issuing authority

Registrar’s signature

The date the certificate was filed with the registrar’s office (must be within one year)

a lot of people on here have said *raised seal*raised seal*raised seal* when in fact not all states have a raised seal, some have a waterwark, some a stamp...etc... glad it all worked out for you in the end!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~

To add to the confusion~I just saw this on the government site:

Primary Evidence of U.S. Citizenship (One of the following):

Previously issued, undamaged U.S. Passport

Certified birth certificate issued by the city, county or state* Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth

Naturalization Certificate

Certificate of Citizenship

How come the government will take a BC issued by the city or county but not Carnival~?? Odd! lol~ I'm glad I have all my paperwork in order!

More more we hear birth cert issues like this.

What I find to be very funny the other day with us. We have used passports

for 6 or 7 years or longer now.

I booked this trip of our in October around June 15th online via CCL.

Never once got a email even the confirmation, even in my junk mail.

Until Thursday just about 23 days from sailing. This email tell us the

passport and Birth certs rules for traveling on the ship. While we understand

this do you think they could have send this sooner than 23 days before we sail?

But looking at it again it said nothing about being STATE issues as you experienced.

Here the text from the email.

Original or suitable (legible) quality copy of a Birth Certificate (issued by the Department of Vital Statistics)

Yup~ that's what it states on the government website~

Beginning April 1, 2011, the U.S. Department of State will require the full names of the applicant’s parent(s) to be listed on all certified birth certificates to be considered as primary evidence of U.S. citizenship for all passport applicants, regardless of age. Certified birth certificates missing this information will not be acceptable as evidence of citizenship. This will not affect applications already in-process that have been submitted or accepted before the effective date.

In addition to this requirement, certified copies of birth certificates must also include the following information to be considered acceptable primary evidence of U.S. citizenship:

Full name of the applicant

Date of birth

Place of birth

Raised, embossed, impressed or multicolored seal of issuing authority

Registrar’s signature

The date the certificate was filed with the registrar’s office (must be within one year)

a lot of people on here have said *raised seal*raised seal*raised seal* when in fact not all states have a raised seal, some have a waterwark, some a stamp...etc... glad it all worked out for you in the end!!

Then you have those who say that's ONLY for passports. When in fact what the State Dept says is what ALL agencies follow.

OP Glad they did in fact make an exceptions for you.

Many more cruises for you and yours!

Added ... Office of Vital Statistics is the State.

My very first BC was issued by the health dept of the town I was born in. Now, I would have to apply for a copy at the State capital dept of health aka Office of Vital Statistics.

Same here.

Weird. I have one from the city I was born in also. Maybe it's a New England thing as both hubby and I were born in different states in the Northeast.. who knows. I have a state issued one that my Mom got me when I wanted to get a job at 15. It is a small wallet sized one, but was all I needed (+ DL) That is what I used and it was fine.

I believe the Dept. of Vital Statistics are State offices~ :confused: aren't they~ lol:D

I would assume so. Off the top of my head I am not sure if mine says "Department of Vital Statistics" on it, but I am sure it did since it worked just fine. She kept stressing "Certificate of Live Birth" versus "Department of Vital Statistics".

Nowhere does Carnival state anything about the specificity of where it has to be issued from. Technically, it isn't their responsibility- but it sure would be a nice thing for them to do for the dummies like me and hubby! :eek::D LOL

Glad everything worked out. But just an FYI - my original birth certificate does not have a raised seal, it has a colored seal... not even multicolor... just blue. I have used it to cruise and most recently used it to get a passport, but it is an "official" birth certificate.

Mine does not have a colored seal at all. It is on official paper with all of the watermarks and what not but no colored seal.. just a plain embossed seal.

Weird. I have one from the city I was born in also. Maybe it's a New England thing as both hubby and I were born in different states in the Northeast.. who knows. I have a state issued one that my Mom got me when I wanted to get a job at 15. It is a small wallet sized one, but was all I needed (+ DL) That is what I used and it was fine.

Interesting. I have 3 birth certificates between my mom and me. Each of them look super different and one even has my mom's maiden name wrong. I'm not sure where the first 2 came from but when looking for the place to get my latest one the first website that comes up is a State website. I don't currently reside in the city I was born in but I am in the same state. Now those other 2 might have come from the city. But how one is wrong and the other 2 are right is still is a mystery.

Edit to add: Glad you got on!!! Can't wait for mine :-)

Chicy - so sorry you had a hard time withthe BC's but glad they made an exception and you made it on the ship. They are really being particular in New Orleans. Hate that you missed our M&G too, I would have bought you a drink for sure after that ordeal!

I just got one of those emails from Carnival telling me that my cruise was coming up soon and what documents were acceptable, etc. I emailed them back and confirmed on my NEXT cruise the birth cert was good, and the cruise after that it was also good..... They replied that yes it was. My next cruise is a transatlantic, and the cruise after that is a Panama Canal repositioning cruise! I had to explain to them that a passport is required in both cases - they realized they sent this out to everyone not looking at what type of cruise a person had coming up. I can see someone getting to Tampa or Long Beach to get on either ship transitioning through the canal and finding out they need a passport because it isn't a closed loop cruise and Carnival told them in that email they didn't need it!

I just got one of those emails from Carnival telling me that my cruise was coming up soon and what documents were acceptable, etc. I emailed them back and confirmed on my NEXT cruise the birth cert was good, and the cruise after that it was also good..... They replied that yes it was. My next cruise is a transatlantic, and the cruise after that is a Panama Canal repositioning cruise! I had to explain to them that a passport is required in both cases - they realized they sent this out to everyone not looking at what type of cruise a person had coming up. I can see someone getting to Tampa or Long Beach to get on either ship transitioning through the canal and finding out they need a passport because it isn't a closed loop cruise and Carnival told them in that email they didn't need it!

If you are a U.S. citizen, we strongly encourage you to bring an original, valid U.S. passport as this will expedite your debark process and will be required if you need to return home by air due to an unexpected emergency.

Alternatively, you may also bring one of the following acceptable travel documents:

Passport Card

Original or suitable (legible) quality copy of a Birth Certificate (issued by the Department of Vital Statistics)

Original Certificate of Naturalization

Enhanced Driver's License (EDL)

Enhanced Tribal Card (Native American Indians)

Trusted Traveler Program Membership Card, e.g., Nexus Card, Sentri Card or Fast Card

A Consular Report of Birth Abroad

Originals or copies of the following will NOT be allowed:

Baptismal Certificate

Hospital "Certificate of Birth"

A government-issued photo ID is also required for all guests 16 years and older. For more information on Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) compliant documents, Click Here or visit us at carnival.com.

If you are a U.S. citizen, we strongly encourage you to bring an original, valid U.S. passport as this will expedite your debark process and will be required if you need to return home by air due to an unexpected emergency.

Alternatively, you may also bring one of the following acceptable travel documents:

Passport Card

Trusted Traveler Program Membership Card, e.g., Nexus Card, Sentri Card or Fast Card

Baptismal Certificate

A government-issued photo ID is also required for all guests 16 years and older. For more information on Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) compliant documents, Click Here or visit us at carnival.com.

In that email they state the other documents as being acceptable, and most people won't read the WHTI documents. Carnival, if they are going to send out an email like that, should also state that if you are not on a closed loop cruise that none of the alternative documents are acceptable. It can and does cause confusion. I won't travel without a passport, but blanket statements like they made can cause errors.

Passport Card

Baptismal Certificate

A government-issued photo ID is also required for all guests 16 years and older.

Just wanted to say that not all state issued birth certificates state that they are issued by Office of Vital Statistics. I just received my birth certificate through Vitacheck with parents full names and it is issued from the Department of Health.

I'm glad I have passports. I am a family of 5 and have the rasied seal bc for myself and my children but they are from the City not the State. My husband was born in Portugal but now a US citizen so I have no idea what his birth certificate even looks like.

Note to self...don't let passports expire :)

Long story short- by the time we realized a passport was the way to go, we did not have enough time to get one before we sailed.

We had birth certificates and driver's licenses so we thought all was fine so we did not worry about even looking into the expedited process for passports. We double checked everywhere, and thought we had all of the right documents!

Everyone told us you need a birth certificate with a raised seal. Cool! We've got that!

Well..... it has to be a STATE issued birth certificate with the raised seal, that says "Certificate of Live Birth" or what-not. Hubby apparently has a city issued birth certificate with a raised seal. We didn't know, or realize there was a difference. :o This is the ONLY one he has ever had his entire life, and has used for everything to establish residency in a new state, marriage certificate, social security card, etc. He was born in a different state than me so I just thought it was different for that reason. Silly me! Before we even got on the ship his Mom had started the process to get them EACH a copy of his state issued birth certificate so we could work on getting his passport shortly after we returned!

The one he had was not good enough at customs. We spent nearly 4 hours making phone calls, waiting for his family to search high and low, and praying for a miracle before finally, our miracle came, and got onto the ship.

Our Miracle: Luckily one of the ladies asked us if we could get someone to fax in a copy of his hospital issued birth certificate. They emphasized that this was not normally acceptable but today.. they were allowing it. Okay! We realized he had a copy of that at home in his baby book. Woohoo! We called our friend who was taking care of our cats, and she was able to go to our house, find the certificate and fax it in! Phew! We made it on with about an hour to spare before the ship sailed! But we had a great time and it was all worth it!

Perhaps we were just ignorant in assuming that the one he had was sufficient, but we were told over and over, -birth certificate with raised seal-, so we didn't think otherwise!

So.. passport is of course the way to go.. but heads up to those using a birth certificate and driver's license. Make sure it is a STATE ISSUED Certificate of Live Birth!

Oh, and what astounds me is that it was soooo simple to get back through the "border". The ladies at embarkation told us to expect the customs people at disembarkation to give us a very hard time since all he had was a faxed copy of his hospital issued BC. Nope. We handed the guy his stuff, he asked if we were married, asked if we had any alcohol and said- "Ok, you're good!" ... 2 minutes. :rolleyes:

There have been a few instances reported recently about folks having problems with birth certificates. In fact, Carnival, just a few days ago, sent many of us sailing soon an email that addresses this very topic. In it was stated:

Now, since we cannot spell FUN without "U", we want to take a moment of your time to remind you of the travel documents you will need to sail with us.

• Passport Card
  • Original or suitable (legible) quality copy of a Birth Certificate (issued by the Department of Vital Statistics)
  • Original Certificate of Naturalization
  • Enhanced Driver's License (EDL)
  • Enhanced Tribal Card (Native American Indians)
  • Trusted Traveler Program Membership Card, e.g., Nexus Card, Sentri Card or Fast Card
  • A Consular Report of Birth Abroad

• Baptismal Certificate
  • Hospital "Certificate of Birth"

:)

From Fun Pass , Acceptable Documents for Travel :

Only an original or quality copy of a birth certificate issued by the Department of Vital Statistics is acceptable.

But as I said earlier...not all states have on their birth certificates...Department of Vital Statistics. Some say Department of Health even though issued by state. This is where it is confusing to me.

Archived