What does Carnival do with lost children?

slotten

no ... the logic is as follows ... that if a very high percentage of child molesters are male, then you have a much higher chance of the child connecting with a BAD ADULT if they talk to a man than if they talk to a woman.

it's not making any claims about what percentage of men are child molesters ... but given the chance that it's a .00001 percent chance that my child talks to a child molester versus a .0000000000001 percent chance, i'm going to direct them to go for the lower-risk scenario, and talk to a woman, preferrably one with kids.

no claims were made about what percentage of the general population -- male or female -- are child molesters. and honestly, my gut instinct is that it's a ship, it's a closed box, and a missing kid can't really get far even if they evade a watchful parent's eye. but since the OP asked for suggestions on how to instruct/label/protecct a little one ...

The link CoonCat provided is good and it does give an answer to the question everyone is beginning to argue about:

"Statistically, a mother with children is the safest bet for your kid," Wilson says. "Women will generally commit more time to helping your child because men are afraid that if they help they'll be targeted as a predator."

That said, if the OP comes back to this thread, please do read the article referenced. It gives good suggestions. I'm not sure I would tell a 5 year old to find any particular meeting spot on a ship; that's too difficult when they are lost and scared.

Knowing your REAL name and calling out for you will absolutely get someone's attention (you probably should tell him to go to the nearest area with people in it, as opposed to standing alone in a hallway) and get him some help.

Agreed..5 is better than 3 but not 10!!..And a good link from CoonCat....Sarah

We lost DD14 one cruise. Couldn't find her in any of her usual spots.

Security was called and her photo was distributed. If she wasn't found within a very short period of time security would have made a whole ship announcement, including cabins and crew quarters.

Found her and her friends talking on the small deck behind the Pizza station on the Paradise. She was read the riot act and tied to us the rest of the cruise. Never had a problem with her again.

I think the best thing would be don't forget you have your kids with you and keep an eye on them. Remember You brought them, You watch them. Or leave them home.

Do you have children? Do you know how fast they can disappear? You push the button on the elevator and they can be gone. They see a friend and want to say hi. They drop something and run to retrieve it. It is not always possible to keep your kids from getting lost. My son disappeared in a large store when he was not quite 2. I reached for something, he went under the closets racks and bam- gone. Best to plan ahead rather than assuming that you won't lose them. If it was as easy as you suggest there would also be no lost keys or room cards in this world.

When I was teaching K-3, we had the children wear these wrist bands while on fields trips. Located inside the wrist band was the cell phone number of the chaperone and the school as well as any important medical information. They are very inexpensive. You could write ship name and booking number so if he was lost on the ship or on an excursion, the staff could locate you.

http://www.amazon.com/Velcro-Child-ID-Bracelet-Safety/dp/B000UXNHQG

I think the best thing would be don't forget you have your kids with you and keep an eye on them. Remember You brought them, You watch them. Or leave them home.

Do you have children? Do you know how fast they can disappear? You push the button on the elevator and they can be gone. They see a friend and want to say hi. They drop something and run to retrieve it. It is not always possible to keep your kids from getting lost. My son disappeared in a large store when he was not quite 2. I reached for something, he went under the closets racks and bam- gone. Best to plan ahead rather than assuming that you won't lose them. If it was as easy as you suggest there would also be no lost keys or room cards in this world.

Thank you! My thoughts exactly. Anyone who says "just don't lose them" must have never had a 3 yr old! it is not possible to hold your childs hand at all times, and a child is going to follow whatever fancy enters their tiny little heads. I started early with DS and my nieces and nephews pointing out nametags, I tell them if they are lost or accosted by a stranger, to look for someone with a nametag, it is easier to identify than a uniform. I know there are no guarantees that the "nametag" is not a molester, but hopefully they are safer than any other random stranger. We use this mostly when visiting theme parks.

Thank you to everyone for all the great ideas. I think I am going to get the wristband to put info on as that will then always be on him. My concern with him having a card on a lanyard or wristband, or a cell phone/two way radio, is that he would forget it somewhere. Putting something in his pocket would be great, but he doesn't have pockets in many of his shorts. I figure if I make sure the first day he knows how to get to camp carnival from many different locations, and knows what floor it is on, we should be good. As long as it doesn't make him think it is no big deal for him to wander off!!! Again, thanks for all the wonderful ideas, some great ones to use on land vacations as well...

I am sorry if this sounds rude, or insulting;

If you are going to take the time to show him how to find Camp from several places on the ship, why not just show him how to find the cabin/pursers desk, or where ever you are planning on spending most of your time.

Or

Watch your kid! and have him stay with you.

If he wonders off that easy, what on earth are you going to do in port?

I've read that 75% of child molesters are white males. That still leaves 25% for others (black males, women, etc.) but that is probably why the poster recommended women with/without children as a 2nd choice. Makes sense to me.

Personally I like the idea to have my child stay where he is at and count to 100, though after that I would suggest he find a person in uniform and not try to find our cabin on his own.

If you are asking what should he do if he gets lost (when he is with you) and you are near by, why not just have him start yelling as loud as he can "MOMMY" you are near by and will hear him and you can find him.

Also if you are not near by, the staff will hear and find him, then you.

When my daughter was young, I was most concerned with her physical safety -- having to do with the surroundings. My fear for kids on the cruise ship is the 1001 opportunities to get into trouble due to their being out of control and badly managed by their parents.

Running around on slippery surfaces, climbing things that should not be climbed on, not being careful on some of the ship's obstacle course staircases...seeing things like this always puts me on a state of alert. There are lots of hard metal surfaces on a ship (I've walked into a few myself!) And falling over a rail is a death sentence if nobody sees it happen or reaches the victim in time.

On trips with my daughter I always encouraged a sense of exploration and adventure, as well as the responsibility to be aware of her surroundings, and to be safety-conscious. She always knew my rules for both appropriate behavior and self-preservation. Simply talking about potential hazards and tactics for dealing with them -- "What if?" scenarios -- helped give her confidence as well as lessons to draw on in the event of an emergency.

Having reached her mid-20's, she often seeks adventure -- sky diving, rock climbing, rope courses, giant rope swings, whitewater rafting. But to this day she has never behaved recklessly.

Obviously the people who are saying you should just watch your kids, don't have kids. I fully remember as a child being bored in department stores and playing in the clothing racks and getting my name called quite often because I had disappeared from sight.

On one vacation we took to England when I was 7, we went to an amusement park in Blackpool and all day I wanted to go on this one "fun house" type ride. But my older sister, 12 at the time, was too cool to go on it and no one else would. So, I went on it by myself. Well, I got to the middle of the ride where I could see down to where I'd left everyone and waved down to my very angry mother. I don't think I was more than 2 feet from her for the rest of that trip, but its not that she wasn't watching me, it was that I was being a kid and stubborn and wanted to go on that ride. I'm sure that happens all the time with kids.

Obviously the people who are saying you should just watch your kids, don't have kids. I fully remember as a child being bored in department stores and playing in the clothing racks and getting my name called quite often because I had disappeared from sight.

On one vacation we took to England when I was 7, we went to an amusement park in Blackpool and all day I wanted to go on this one "fun house" type ride. But my older sister, 12 at the time, was too cool to go on it and no one else would. So, I went on it by myself. Well, I got to the middle of the ride where I could see down to where I'd left everyone and waved down to my very angry mother. I don't think I was more than 2 feet from her for the rest of that trip, but its not that she wasn't watching me, it was that I was being a kid and stubborn and wanted to go on that ride. I'm sure that happens all the time with kids.

Well, you are wrong, I do have children and grandchild, and what we do is what I have been saying all along, WATCH YOUR CHILD.

It is crazy to expect the crew to watch your child while they are lost, untill you realize they are lost and decide to look for them. Maybe the parent should be responsable and watch the child, and the child should be responsable and watch the parent.

If you are letting them roam the ship (any age) then they are not lost, they are just exploring. If you are with them and they are with you, then watch them. If you feel you can not watch them when they are not in Camp then do not bring them or better yet, don't cruise.

Sense cruising is a fun relaxing way to spend time as a family, spend it together and keep an eye on them.

Now let me explain, what I mean by watch them;

If you are going in the gift shop, tell them to NOT leave the store without you.

If you are going to the buffet, have them go BEFORE you so you are right behind them and you can see them, If they are behind you YOU might wonder off if they are having trouble getting something from the buffet, (but if they are that little they should not be serving themself anyway, but that is another topic),

If you are at the pool, set a limit to where they can go, (from here to the pool and back, but no futher)

If you are going to a show, make them sit beside you, and when entering or leaving make them walk in front of you, not behind you.

I could go on, but I think you get the point, this is basic parenting 101.

Again the point is WATCH YOUR CHILD

Have fun, and don't loose your kids, or parents.

Ok I have one more thought, if you do not want to watch your child, all the time that it is not in Camp,

bring his/her baby sitter with you on the cruise, now you do not have to watch the child at all, the baby sitter does.

You wont have to pay the sitter because you are paying for their airfare and cruise.

Now you can forget the kid and have all the fun you want.

Enjoy,

Reading thru this thread I see one issue. Parents do not want to be parents on a cruise ship. They want everyone else to watch their kids. (kid Bashing-Adult Bashing here)

Parents if you bring your children be responsible. Both are on vacation and are just not to be turned loose on the general public.

Well, you are wrong, I do have children and grandchild, and what we do is what I have been saying all along, WATCH YOUR CHILD.

It is crazy to expect the crew to watch your child while they are lost, untill you realize they are lost and decide to look for them. Maybe the parent should be responsable and watch the child, and the child should be responsable and watch the parent.

I think you misunderstand, we are not talking about children allowed to roam the ship, parents who don't want their kids around or irresponsible parents. we are talking about the child who is supervised, with their parent and in a moment is able to turn a corner and is LOST! If you have a way to make a 3yrold responsible please let me know! I also need to know how to stop a 6yr old from stopping to look in an attractive window and not keeping up with the family and is lost in a crowd in an instant. and if you could please stop the crowd from seperateing me from an 8yr old, even though we are holding hands as we get in an elevator I would really appreciate it. every lost child is not the product of an irresponsible parent, and If you are a parent you know it is not possible to hold your child at all times. As stated above sometimes you are dealing with a willfull child who choses to disobey the parent. These things happen. All parents should expect that at some point their child may be lost, and practice from an early age what they expect the child to do when it does happen. Basic parenting 101

One sea day I was sitting in the shade and I heard a child screaming for him mommy. I got up and followed his scream. It was a little boy in a swim suit right outside of the pool. I asked him what was wrong and he said he couldn't find his mom. He could not have been more than 5 years old. He didn't know his last name or his cabin number (fear may have kept him from remembering..but who knows.) I explained that I was a mommy and a teacher and I would take him to the "police".

I saw a security employee and asked him to help. Without any information he started relaying information into his walkie. We were walking to go to Purser's desk or security area. Poor little guy by this time had a death sqeeze on my hand.

As we passed a table on the other side of the pool, he saw his mommy and ran to her crying. The "mom" sort of shoved him away asking what in the world was wrong with him. The security guy explained that he couldn't find her and was worried. This "mom" actually chastised her son saying she was right at the same table the whole time having her drink.

I tried to explain to the group sitting there that he must have wandered to the other side of the pool and when he got out on that other side...she wasn't at the table he thought she had been sitting at, so he became upset. Turthfully, both sides look the same to me so I am sure it looks the same to a litttle kid.

This mom totally ignored the security man and me and continued to "correct" her child in a very aggrevated tone and made him sit on the deck until he thought he could behave better.

Again, she said nothing to the security man or me and basically dismissed us by continueing her conversation with her table mates.

The guard gave me a look of bewilderment and we both left. I felt sad for that little boy the entire afternoon. Truthfully if I think about it, it still makes me sad.

Most parents are NOT like that. Too bad there are some who don't understand what a parent's job is.

have to disagree.

i was on a beach in bermuda, dw and ds go for a walk.

dw is at the seaside, and i'm maybe 10 feet away.

somehow in an instant i lose sight of her. i start glancing, then scanning.

lump growing in throat.

stand up, and start walking toward water.

sweat breaks out.

i finally realize i must start screaming for her, and at the top of my lungs, scream out her name.

from my feet area i hear, "what, dad?"

my blind spot was not in good working order that day.

it can happen. even to a helicopter dad.

They do not call over the PA!

When my son was 2, he fell in love with elevators...

When we were in the atrium waiting for something to happen, I thought my husband had my son & vice versa - he went to the elevator, which had been called by someone on the LIDO.

Luckily a Camp Carnival counsellor was eating & saw him. She took him to the Camp & called the phone that had been assigned to us. (Meanwhile, I climbed the stairs with a security guard & asked every person I saw if they had seen my son - he was able to climb stairs...)

Scariest 10 minutes of my life! (& pretty good parenting lecture from the security guard:rolleyes:)

I told my kids not to call me mom in crowds, 30 people will turn around. They call me by my first name. Worked well.

Once in an Embassy Suite hotel in DC my husband took my 2 y/o and 7 mo. old to the car to pack. He had taken one of those valet stands. When he was putting it back my 2 y/o daughter ended up getting on an elevator and was long gone.

When it had taken way too long he came to the room and asked if she was there. WHAT? We spent 15 min. looking for her, calling her name. She was on who knew what floor knocking on doors. No one helped her until a tall older man dressed all in white with white hair brought her to us. I hugged her so hard and turned to thank the man but he had disappeared. I'm convinced he was an angel.

have to disagree.

i was on a beach in bermuda, dw and ds go for a walk.

dw is at the seaside, and i'm maybe 10 feet away.

somehow in an instant i lose sight of her. i start glancing, then scanning.

lump growing in throat.

stand up, and start walking toward water.

sweat breaks out.

i finally realize i must start screaming for her, and at the top of my lungs, scream out her name.

from my feet area i hear, "what, dad?"

my blind spot was not in good working order that day.

it can happen. even to a helicopter dad.

I agree

As I said before my youngest DS could be at the other end of a place in a second . Once as they were leaveing a store , DW opened her purse took out her car keys , he was gone . She looks up , he is halfway up the escalator to the second floor. She runs up the escalator after him gets to the second floor , he is no whereIt to be found .

Thank God she hears a saleswoman say "Honey get off of there , its not a toy. He is jumping on a mattress in the bedding department .

You can be as vigilant as they come, it only takes a second

I saw a program sometime ago about telling kids who to ask for help in when lost.

It was something like this:

First choice, ask a person in uniform, police, crew, security, etc

Second choice, ask a woman with children, a mother or grandmother

Third choice, ask a woman, any woman

Makes perfect sense to me.

I like it! This gets my vote.

All theories about meeting places, where to go, etc. are fine, I guess. I still say teach your child his cabin number, keep his S&S card with him on a lanyard, not in Mom's purse, and teach him to find a security officer. The security on a cruise ship has assets that even the largest police department can only dream of. They can find the lost parents very quickly.

And mind you, it is the well-behaved kids who get lost. The wild ones don't want Mom or Dad around.:eek:

Doc

Archived