First time cruise on Queen Mary

Jody Ellis

Hi my parents have booked a christmas cruise on the Queen Mary around the Caribbean. We haven't cruised before and don't know what to expect. Neither my brother or I really want to go as we think its a holiday for older people. I am 18 and my brother is 15.

What can we expect on the cruise? Is it all bingo and snobby older people?

It's a 15 day cruise and I understand you have to dress up for dinner. What does everyone wear in the evening? I don't know what to pack for formal evenings etc. What are they. Also what do you wear on normal evenings.

Any help would be great seeing as I have to go on this holiday even though I would rather stay at home with my aunt and her family.

Thanks Jody

Jody, the ship is gorgeous and huge, you will have a great time just checking it out. I've only been on her once and would go again in a heartbeat.

In comparison to other cruise lines, Cunard does tend to be more formal in dress. Not to worry, though, you don't need as much clothing as you may think. On that type of voyage you will have several formal nights, some seim-formal nights and some elegant casual nights. But remember, you do not have to pack for every single day/night, you can re-wear clothing and there is laundry/dry cleaning available if needed. Your brother and father are able to rent tuxes from the cruise line, just do it in advance if that option is chosen, they will need a suit or sportscoat for the semi-formal evenings. Women wear shorter cocktail dresses of nice pants outfits for casual evenings.

Day wear is shorts and casual tops, take several of bathing suits.

Keep in mind as well that you will be sailing in and out of New York, something I think would be marvelous. You do have at least 5 days on the cruise in port destinations,so look into what you want to do on those days.

If I were you, I would go to the Cunard site here on CC and ask questions there as well. There may be some younger people on the Roll Call site as well who are going on your cruise.

Just keep in mind your parents are paying a whole lot of money for the family to be together and enjoy a holiday. I have kids just a bit older than you and I know there have been a few times we have taken them they didn't appreciate. They no longer go with us and they are fine with that, but it was never a total drag for them to be on a cruise, they always found something to do and met others their own age. It can come down to whether or not you want to have fun, it's all up to you.

Jody, I appreciate the fact that you are much younger and have totally different interests. PLEASE go to the Cunard threads on this site. My husband and I cruised on the Mary the year she set sail and it was totally thrilling. We will most likely never have the chance again.

We were surprised to see people of all ages onboard. The daytime clothes are casual and comfortable. You will enjoy the pool and need several swim suits, so one can be drying while you are wearing another.

Just post your questions on the Cunard threads and you never know, someone nearer to your age might just pop up, who has sailed the Mary.

Being younger, you can wear the shorter party or "cocktail" dresses, for the formal dinners. There are tons of cute looks online. If you are into skinny pants, look for a pair of black satin paired with a dressy belt over an actual tuxedo shirt that actually fits you, for the smart casual nights. Accessorize with something sparkly, like a bow tie or scarf. You could use a scarf as a belt. And wear high heels, esp. sandals. Summer dresses will be great, even in the daytime.

Good luck and I hope your cruise turns out to be a great time!

I hope this doesn't sound patronizing...I'm just trying to fit the definitions to a normal 18 year old life.

What is formal? Prom wear. On Cunard you can even go as far as bridesmaid.

Semi-formal is more like New Year's Eve...like a fancy top with nice slacks or a pretty dress with spaghetti straps. It can be a bit glitzy.

Casual elegant is what you wear on a date if the guy is taking you to a nice restaurant. A jersey dress, a nice skirt or pants with a blouse. No jeans, no shorts and no plastic flip-flops please!

Give it a chance! It can be fun to dress up and go for dinner every night. I haven't been on Cunard yet, but most ships have a huge variety of entertainment...different types of live music, shows, dancing...there is the pool and sunbathing, lots of daytime activities, sightseeing in port...who wouldn't enjoy themselves at least some of the time?

the little black dress type of thing can do for dinner or evenings... and you will definitely enjoy the disco on Queen Mary... I have cruised on a lot of ships and it is the BEST disco with a live band... that plays till 2 a.m..... you can change after dinner into casual clothes and head for the disco.. lots of young type of music.. they will play anything you want... it's a fun place... oops.. not sure if you have to be 21 to get into the disco... check on the Cunard boards..

Archived