Stingray sailing

Kiwis Afloat

We want to go on a tour with Stingray sailing when we are in Grand Cayman. We have never tendered before and are wondering if anyone has any experience with arriving at port at 8am and making a 9am meeting on shore with Stingray sailing? How long do you typically wait for a tender? How long does the ride take? Did you meet the representative on time? Thanks.:)

We want to go on a tour with Stingray sailing when we are in Grand Cayman. We have never tendered before and are wondering if anyone has any experience with arriving at port at 8am and making a 9am meeting on shore with Stingray sailing? How long do you typically wait for a tender? How long does the ride take? Did you meet the representative on time? Thanks.:)

Don't forget that when on the ship, the ships usually stay on time with the port you originally sailed out of. For instance, our tour was scheduled for 0800 hrs in Grand Cayman, but we didn't arrive in Grand Cayman until 0800hrs. However, the 0800hrs their time was in fact 0900hrs ship time. So we actually had an hour from the point we arrived, until we had to be at our meeting place for the excursion, which was a private one by the way. So, with all that said, it sounds like your tour will tour will actually be at 1000hrs ship time, giving you two hours to get there, from the time you arrive. That will be more than enough time. We usually get off the ship fairly easy. They have multiple tenders running at the same time. Just make sure you don't try to get back on the ship at the last minute, as that usually gets VERY backed up in the afternoon.

Hope that helps and hope ya'll have a great time !!!!

We just sailed with Chip and company this past Friday and it was the best excursion we have done in ten cruises.

They show you an exceptional time.

Did SRC with Nativeways my first time and this was 100 percent better time, IMO.

To those confused about the times.

Grand Cayman is ALWAYS on eastern standard time.

So when the US springs ahead, GC is an hour behind us.

When the US falls back, GC is at the same time as the eastern US.

Bill

• 2 months later...

We had a large group of 11 that booked online. Great communication and smooth process through paypal for the deposit.

Unfortunately, when we arrived in Grand Cayman the tours from the ship were all cancelled to the stingray sand bar. Chip met us at the tour area and informed us that the sand bar was closed to tours by the officials. They were to re-evaluate the situation in a couple of hours so Chip said he would take us out and hope they opened. He said he would not charge us if it did not open up - worst case, we would have a nice ride out and sail back. The catamaran was a wonderful experience for all as there was lots of room and places to sit.

When we got there Chip jumped into the ocean, swam over to the official and had a conversation with him. They were still closed but he got the ok to go over to the sand bar and we were all allowed to jump in for just a few minutes of swimming with the stingrays. Chip and the crew put up the sail and we had a wonderful cruise back to the dock. Really, the experience was wonderful even though it was "cancelled."

I would highly suggest Stingray Sailing as Chip and his crew were extremely ethical and went above and beyond even though they knew they were not getting paid for the trip. Obviously, we tipped well and thanked him for the experience that he did supply.

Next time we're in Grand Cayman we'll definitely go with Stingray Sailing.

Yes, that whole time things confuses me. So, we leave out of Miani in November. In Cozumel, they will be an hour ahead of ship time? Why am I having such a hard time with this:o:o

This sire, http://www.grandcaymanexcursions.biz/excursions/stingraycitycoralreefsnorkel.html, offers a ship time to local time conversion for various ports...works really well!

• 2 months later...

We just did exactly that - arrived at 8am with a 9am tour (Island time). I was a little worried and had Chip and Michele's cell phone numbers tucked into my beach bag just in case. I'd hate to miss them by a few minutes. Turned out we were the first group at the pier ! We waited til about 9:30 as we were missing one last group but they didn't make it. (hence the cell phone - if I were them, I would have been able to call and say Wait for me!). The tender itself is maybe 10 mins ? Ours was not full and I was worried they would wait and fill it to capacity before leaving. Find out through your guest services desk the night prior exactly what they want you to do if you are on an early tour but not through the cruiseline. They will tell you where to go, tell you to get a sticker - or whatever their procedure is so you are not left scrambling on the actual morning of the tour.

I posted a review on another thread - if you want to read it.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=32860072#post32860072

No hesitations - Stingray Sailings is the way to go !

• 6 months later...

Stingrays are awesome, snorkeling was fun, but the Stingray Sailing tour operator deserves special mention.

Intelligent, engaged, polite. Fairly priced, intimate setting, concerned about customer satisfaction.

Our group of eight watched cruise ship excursions drop off 50 passengers. As huge rays swirled around us, cruise ship folks waded over for some breathing room, and to actually interact with the rays.

Archived