diving cozumel and cayman/independant?

woonkies

Hello, I just booked a cruise on Star Princess in October (10th anniversary!). My husband and I are both certified and excited to dive in both locations. My question is whether or not I should book an excursion with the cruiseline or do it on our own.

Any suggestions would be great!!!

It would depend on several things. Are you the nervous type that is afraid of missing the ship because you got back late from diving? Are you a new diver? Do you want the most convenient way to arrange diving? Are you in port at odd times, like too late in the morning to catch a morning dive trip? If you answer yes to these questions, then you will probably want to go thru the ship to arrange diving.

On the other hand, if you are diving in the morning, you are unlikely to miss the ship. If you are not a new diver, you might think that the ships dive OP is a bit too restrictive. Experienced divers usually want to dive their own profile, not do the typical "follow the leader" style of dive that the ship's operators usually provide. The ship's operator will likely use a larger boat and have more divers on a trip. They usually divide large groups with their own dive guide. Personally, I prefer smaller groups on smaller boats. Arranging you own diving is more work, but it can often cost less and provide a better fit depending on the dive op you choose.

Now, do you want suggestions for dive operators to contact? If you do, could you please describe your experience level and what you are looking for in a dive operator. I can make some suggestions from that, if you want.

I agree with Bruce..... a lot depends on your comfort level ... with diving, going independent ..... have you been on the islands before? Is budget an issue? Independent tends to be less expensive, and with most ops less crowded. My husband and I got certified about 2-1/2 years ago, and did our first blue water dive in Belize. We got brave and went independent (as time was not an issue!) Had a blast! Since then, we always go independent- UNLESS - we feel that the times are to close and a delay might risk getting on the ship before departure. Then we book through the ship. Coz has lots of great ops - you can find tons of suggestions on those topic areas, or on Scubaboard. On Cayman, we've only done shore diving (recently at DiveTech out by the Turtle Farm) which can also helped cut the expenses if your on a budget.

On Grand Cayman, we've only done shore diving (recently at DiveTech out by the Turtle Farm) which can also helped cut the expenses if your on a budget.
Grand Cayman is a good place for shore diving partly because there is little if any current, and I have read good things about the turtle farm site.

Shore diving on Cozumel doesn't compare to the quality of boat diving you can do there. I especially like the live boat pick up so I don't have to navigate back to where the boat is tied up.

I think just about all the dive operators in Cozumel that "blue" somewhere in their name get good reviews.

Bluebubble

Blue XT Sea

Liquid Blue

Blue Angel

Deep Blue

are all Coz dive shops. I've gone with 2 of them and can easily give them my recommendation. They are Liquid Blue, excellent for advanced divers, and Blue XT Sea who I will definitely use again.

Archived