Can you help???.......this is keeping me awake at nights!!!!

lynnquenby

Smartness in dress is very much a subjective concept. For some, smart merely means being in an acceptable state of repair and presentation. For others, smart means fashionable. For others, smart means conventional. For others, smart means "like I wear".

My dictionary (Concise Oxford) defines smart as "bright and fresh in appearance, neat, in perfect order or repair, in gay or fashionable clothes, well groomed, showing bright colours or new paint". My views entirely, although I'm not quite sure about the paint!

We have Cruised on Ventura and although she is proably P&O's most informal ship I certainly would not turn up to any of the main restaurants in cropped trousers or jeans etc for Dinner.Smart tousers Casual Shirts, Polo Shirts [ not Tee Shirts or football shirts] are the norm and to be honest Flip Flop type shoes are not really the thing to wear.You may find that you will be barred from entrance to some bars and restaurants if you are not dressed appropriately.You will find that 90 per cent of passengers will comply with the Evenings dress code so unless you are happy sticking out like a sore thumb I suggest you think again.However you should have no problems with dress codes if you choose to eat in the Buffet where dress codes are relaxed.I note that you have Cruised with OV and NCL previously and I must say that you will find Ventura has a much more formal approach.:confused:

i was on oceana as a first timer last year - same format - 4 formal - 10 smart casual. Really enjoyed the formal nights - a mix of mainly 90% tux - some kilts - and some buisness suits. We did the curry night in the buffet one evening on casual night and it was strange to see lots of peeps eating a buffet in very smart attire - added to the atmosphere thou. For the smart casual evenings i wore light trousers and a mix of short sleeved shirts- normal shirts. The p&o brouchure does mention dark jeans as being acceptable but i agree far too heavy to be wearing in hotter climes.....

Was slightly put out to see a group in shorts tee shirts and flip flops in the "pub" late one evening when everyone else made the effort. It would have taken 2 mins to change into jeans and a shirt.... I'm normally a jeans an t shirt man but really enjoyed the added ambiance in such nice settings. deck shoes are pretty comfortable with light trousers on the smart nights too - almost like wearing slippers

I really should read my itinerary better!!!! :o

According our cruise personaliser on the P&O Website, on our cruise (ex Barbados 7 January on Azura) :

There will be 4 Black Tie, 2 Smart (jacket required) and 8 Evening Casual nights on your cruise

So that really answers my question about the difference between casual and smart! Every ship/cruise line is different, eh! :D

Hubby will just have to wear the other jacket on the journey and have it pressed on board!!! (yeah right!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:)

We have Cruised on Ventura and although she is proably P&O's most informal ship I certainly would not turn up to any of the main restaurants in cropped trousers or jeans etc for Dinner.Smart tousers Casual Shirts, Polo Shirts [ not Tee Shirts or football shirts] are the norm and to be honest Flip Flop type shoes are not really the thing to wear.You may find that you will be barred from entrance to some bars and restaurants if you are not dressed appropriately.You will find that 90 per cent of passengers will comply with the Evenings dress code so unless you are happy sticking out like a sore thumb I suggest you think again.However you should have no problems with dress codes if you choose to eat in the Buffet where dress codes are relaxed.I note that you have Cruised with OV and NCL previously and I must say that you will find Ventura has a much more formal approach.:confused:

Did we sail on the same ship?

I have sailed on Ventura 7 times, the last time being in August of this year. Jeans were specified in the Dress Code section of the daily Horizon newspaper as being appropriate wear on smart casual nights and were worn by many passengers of both sexes and all ages.

Did we sail on the same ship?

I have sailed on Ventura 7 times, the last time being in August of this year. Jeans were specified in the Dress Code section of the daily Horizon newspaper as being appropriate wear on smart casual nights and were worn by many passengers of both sexes and all ages.

I think you will find its the same old saga. Peoples opinion of what the dress code should be stated as fact on here, rather than the truth.

Archived