Marriott in Galveston w/ parking options?

K&Rs Mom

My husband is getting Marriott points from travel for work, so he'll likely have enough for a free night by January. Is there a Marriott (any of their brands) in Galveston that will let us leave the car there all week? I think when we stayed in Florida we had to book a special rate to include parking. How hard is it to get to the pier (4 of us, don't know if one taxi will work)? Or is it just better to park at one of the pier companies? Thanks!

There is a Springhill Suites right off of I45 when you enter Galveston--nice hotel, have stayed there before & will be staying there for our Jan cruise. Don't know if you can leave your car there, but almost as cheap to use the port parking--$50 if you book on line.

I'm a big Marriott guy too, but the reviews of the Springhill, its proximity to and noise from the Interstate, and lack of any kind of water view (or proximity to either the gulf or the bay) caused me to bite the bullet and actually pay for a room for personal travel for the first time in quite a while. Will be there in late December. Rates not too bad that time of year.

I'm a big Marriott guy too, but the reviews of the Springhill, its proximity to and noise from the Interstate, and lack of any kind of water view (or proximity to either the gulf or the bay) caused me to bite the bullet and actually pay for a room for personal travel for the first time in quite a while. Will be there in late December. Rates not too bad that time of year.

You are correct, the location is not the most convenient--have to drive to beach area, but is not that far. Some of the rooms do have a Bay view. Our room was pretty close to the highway, but noise was no problem.

We use to stay at either the Harbor House on ship channel or Sheraton 4 Points on Seawall. But since their prices have gone up or they require a 2 night minimum, we started looking for the best price hotel with good reviews. But no matter were we stay, seems like we end up driving either to the Strand or Seawall area & resturants, so location to us has not been that big of a deal, besides, not all hotels on Seawall Blvd have a gulf view.

Think you just need to decide what is most important & where you want to spend your money. Personally, I'd rather spend it on the cruise but then, we have been to Galveston a lot.

You are correct, the location is not the most convenient--have to drive to beach area, but is not that far. Some of the rooms do have a Bay view. Our room was pretty close to the highway, but noise was no problem.

We use to stay at either the Harbor House on ship channel or Sheraton 4 Points on Seawall. But since their prices have gone up or they require a 2 night minimum, we started looking for the best price hotel with good reviews. But no matter were we stay, seems like we end up driving either to the Strand or Seawall area & resturants, so location to us has not been that big of a deal, besides, not all hotels on Seawall Blvd have a gulf view.

Think you just need to decide what is most important & where you want to spend your money. Personally, I'd rather spend it on the cruise but then, we have been to Galveston a lot.

It's funny, or more accurately strange, that when using points, the Marriott property usually assigns you to a less desirable room. Pretty sure I wouldn't get a bay view, but who knows? Since I'll only have one night in a place I've never visited, made sense to get a 16th-floor room @ San Luis Resort. Of course cruise sails on Thursday so if there's a 2-night minimum for weekend stays, doesn't affect us.

This is something we're trying to balance too. I think we're going to have very little time in Galveston - driving down from Michigan, we'll get there late evening then get on the ship the next day. So a lesser hotel probably isn't going to matter as much as how easy it is to get in/out and where to leave the car all week.

Archived