Aft Cabin Question on Deck 4 or 5

kl630

My husband and I are considering booking an aft cabin and had a few questions. I've searched through some of the previously posted threads, but am still a little unsure. First, we are looking at sailing on the Nieuw Amsterdam and booking an aft cabin on deck 4 or 5. Does anyone have an opinion of which deck is better for that type of cabin?

Secondly, I've read that some cruisers have experience soot and debris in their aft balconies. Is this common for either floor? Is it specific to one floor? Is this the exception or the rule?

Thank you for your help

We had an aft wraparound on deck 4 on the Zuiderdam last January. We had no soot. We had an aft veranda on the Noordam a couple of years ago. I don't remember which deck, but it was higher than 4, maybe 6. We had no soot on that veranda either.

We love the aft veranda cabins. There is sometimes a bit more feeling of movement. But the view and the size of the balconies is wonderful.

We've had a stateroom on the stern of the ship two or three times on the Noordam. On Deck 5. There was soot each morning on the verandah ...didn't bother us particularly...at first, we had no idea what this "black stuff" was on the chairs and floor! LOL! Finally the light dawned.

If in the Caribbean, it's not a great choice...being on the stern, there's Zero breeze as one would have with a verandah stateroom either starboard or port.

Since we cruise the Caribbean due to our inn being open except for in the winter, we've gone back to the aft balconies on either the port or starboard side.

We had BA220 on the Maasdam and until I returned home, and checked my points, didn't realize that was considered a suite (got double days toward our Mariner Status...that was the "tip").

Long story short, NO, I don't think it's worth the extra money. We're downsizing next cruise...and doing an OV on the stern of the Maasdam to try it out. Many, many of the people on our Cruise Critic "Roll Call" in January were either in insides or OV's...and loved them. We didn't use our verandah much at all...because of smoke coming from the one downwind of us...so we'll see how this works!

As long as we're just under or over the dining venues, toward the stern of the ship, then we're good to go! :rolleyes:

If you are looking at booking an aft VA balcony, your verandah will be different than the wonderful corner SUITE wrap EGCruisers mentions. Those aft corners are pure heaven.

Don't get me wrong - the VA balconies are nice. But when people swoon over aft, they're usually talking about a corner.

I have cruised Vista aft cabin, not Signature aft cabin, so people with first hand knowledge may post to correct me. However, the advantage of deck 4/upper promenade is you are directly on the stern, and look immediately down on the wake.

Higher decks are raked slightly back (not as much as on the Vistas).

xu_stern_q_star_2_-420x310.jpg

So, deck 5/verandah deck looks down over the edge onto deck 4, and then outwards.

All of the decks can look down on a slice of the aft verandahs below them. Anyone on any of the decks above you will be able to see you if you're standing at the stern rail. In this sense, deck 4 has the least privacy. However, MOST of your balcony will be private/covered by the deck above you.

I have no idea whether deck 4 or 5 is bigger/deeper. I believe the Signature aft balconies are not as deep as the ones on the Vistas.

I have no idea whether deck 4 or 5 is bigger/deeper. I believe the Signature aft balconies are not as deep as the ones on the Vistas.

Deck 5 verandah is 70" deep - Deck 4 railing is about a foot farther back, but I think the cabin is slightly deeper as well.

What you don't want it Deck 6 - Smallest of all.

Early summer to Alaska on Zaandam G2702. I know it's a different ship and a room with no balcony, but it felt like we sort of did. No one on either side of us, a big window looking out the back of ship with no obstructions. We went out on to the deck right outside our room, no one used it much at all it almost felt like it was just for us. Yes it has a bit of a humming noise going on out side, but it has a staircase going up to the lower promenade deck. No soot problem either, shade. Easier on the pocketbook as well. Really liked that room and we'd only had verandahs before, still really liked that room.

We definitely want to have a balcony, just unsure as whether we're better off with an aft cabin or one on the port or starboard side. Then, if we decide on an aft, which deck do we go with? I feel like people either love them or hate them - we've done so much research and just want to book the cruise!

Booked 7139 on the Eurodam, and 4179 and 4181 on the Noordam.... LOVED THEM BOTH!

Never had soot on either. Larger verandahs, and privacy while a concern, was a small issue.

I will say, that since we booked on the side, towards the back - like 5159 on the Nieuw Amsterdam next month - we are amazed how quite they are. Both on the inside and outside.

Either are wonderful... but, the aft cabins can be noisy... NOT TOO NOISY, THOUGH!

Also, don't be concerned about the MDR on the 4th Deck... we never heard a thing!

Enjoy!!!

We definitely want to have a balcony, just unsure as whether we're better off with an aft cabin or one on the port or starboard side. Then, if we decide on an aft, which deck do we go with? I feel like people either love them or hate them - we've done so much research and just want to book the cruise!

Because aft balconies on Nieuw Amsterdam aren't as deep as the ones on the Vistas, why not just book a side one, but extra deep, 7.5 feet - VD on deck 4? Less money, and still an "extra good" balcony.

We had a SC aft wrap around, cabin #5191 on the Oosterdam. One major problem I had was an intermittant vibration coming up from the floor. It didn't bother me during the day but being a light sleeper it woke me up alot during the night. Based on that alone I would never book an aft balcony cabin again. The vibration wasn't enough to bother DW but if you're a light sleeper it could be a problem.

Archived