Crane Beach

nosmothj

"We will be in Barbados February 2 2012. Have heard you are able to catch a bus to Crane Beach and we really would like to go. Has any one done this and do you have any details?"

It can be done and it has been done, but are you sure you'll have the time?

The bus for Crane is #12D and leaves the Fairchild Street station (maybe a mile + walk from Deep Water Harbour) about ever hour in the afternoon. The morning schedule is maybe every ½ hour then there is a 2hr lapse around lunch time.

So, it has been a long time since we took the bus there, but it can take an hour or more, especially during rush hour. Times vary here, remember this isn't Dutch Aruba, it's British Barbados and we are somewhat more relaxed.

If you were able to get to the station by 10AM and didn't miss that bus, you may be at Crane by Noon. Hit the beach. Have lunch and it's 2PM . You may make it back by 4PM. But, I can tell you that 2 hours will not be enough to satisfy you. You will feel rushed and cheated.

The alternative is to bus to Crane and taxi back to B-town. Much quicker.

I'll admit that the bus is a wonderful and inexpensive way to see the island. That's how we got acquainted with the lay of the land many years ago, but......

I always recommend that cruise visitors only take the bus up and down the west coast and leave the cross-island journeys for the time you visit longer and are not under time restraints.

Have a great holiday regardless of you choice of transportation. :)

hopefully someone else will pop up with some more exact details. If i am ever back in Barbados, i will go to Crane Beach. We went to Accra instead. very limited buses to Crane, as it not really a settlement just a collection of hotels, but the swarms of taxis that cover Barbados will easily take you there and be more than happy to pick you up when you are done (our driver gave us his card and pleaded with us to call him for the trip back, but with 20 other taxis parked everywhere why wait?). I heard that the taxi to Crane was in the $40-50 range. There is a public access to Crane via a long and steep stairway on the Southwest end of the beach, but at least one restaurant will give you beach access for the purchasing a drink. Beautiful tall cliffs, pink sand, typically with heavy surf. Again, i didn't go there but i asked eveyone who went about it preparing for that next time around. Hopefully this helps .

• 2 months later...
hopefully someone else will pop up with some more exact details. If i am ever back in Barbados, i will go to Crane Beach. We went to Accra instead. very limited buses to Crane, as it not really a settlement just a collection of hotels, but the swarms of taxis that cover Barbados will easily take you there and be more than happy to pick you up when you are done (our driver gave us his card and pleaded with us to call him for the trip back, but with 20 other taxis parked everywhere why wait?). I heard that the taxi to Crane was in the $40-50 range. There is a public access to Crane via a long and steep stairway on the Southwest end of the beach, but at least one restaurant will give you beach access for the purchasing a drink. Beautiful tall cliffs, pink sand, typically with heavy surf. Again, i didn't go there but i asked eveyone who went about it preparing for that next time around. Hopefully this helps .

DO NOT TAKE A BUS TO CRANE!!! IT'S TOO FAR!!! Four of us took a taxi, which was really a van holding about 16 tourists at once to different spots. About half the van was going to Crane Beach. It was $120.00 total for four. It was a LONG ride, almost an hour. We got there and there was very little beach, which we had to walk down a very steep climb of rocks to get to. Our four all agreed that it was not what we wanted to do for 5 hours, so we got back in the van and the taxi driver took us to another beach, which I can't remember the name of, that had huge waves and was pretty -- but was un-swimmable.

Sooooo, after a very long and expensive drive around an unscenic part of Barbados -- we ended up at Accra/Rockley Beach, which was OK. Not great, but ok. The sand is pretty, a little bit pink, albeit lots of cigarette butts and some trash, and the water clear and calm.

Archived