snorkel excursion on the Dawn

vacationgogo

I have read about GSC getting very crowded and the advice people have given about getting an early tender over there. I know this is not always possible. My question is this..... What happens if we aren't able to get one of the earlier tenders over and we have signed up for the snorkeling excursion? Do they hold the snorkeling equipment for you? If not, do they refund your money for the excursion? Also, as I understand it, there really isn't any "excursion" You are simply paying ahead for the use of the snorkeling equipment. Is that right? Also, do you get the equipment for a specified period of time or all day? Are people able to share the equipment?

I have read about GSC getting very crowded and the advice people have given about getting an early tender over there. I know this is not always possible. My question is this..... What happens if we aren't able to get one of the earlier tenders over and we have signed up for the snorkeling excursion? Do they hold the snorkeling equipment for you? If not, do they refund your money for the excursion? Also, as I understand it, there really isn't any "excursion" You are simply paying ahead for the use of the snorkeling equipment. Is that right? Also, do you get the equipment for a specified period of time or all day? Are people able to share the equipment?

Here's an idea to avoid all of the controversy.... snorkeling gear is really compact (and also inexpensive) ... why not take your own? All you need is mask, fins and snorkel... available at any sporting goods store. First of all, it's bound to be cleaner (you at least know who has used it... YOU :) ) and you won't have to worry about the fit, or whether or not there is any gear left if you are running a bit late. We have always brought ours (along with our scuba gear too for diving).

Another tip: if you want to feed the fish... bring a can of cheese whiz... you can squirt out a little to jsut those fish you would like to feed, and not be swarmed by all the other pesky ones :)

For vacationgogo...

Last year, we DID NOT "book" the "snorkel" excursion on the Private Island. We had gotten on the early tender and my husband went to the rental shack on the island and rented snorkel equipment for himself and fins & life vest for me (I have my own snorkel tube mask with prescription lenses.) This year, we DID pre-book the snorkel excursion on Great Stirrup Cay for him and I'll just plan to rent fins only, once we get there. Last year, and it is my understanding for this year, once you rent the equipment it is yours for the entire time you are on the private island. We'd snorkel for awhile, eat, lounge, snorkel again, shop, eat, etc. Of course, if you are done with snorkeling early in the day, the courteous thing to do would be to turn in your equipment just in case they do run short of rentals. I'd hate to think that I'd deprived someone of the joy of snorkeling because I neglected to return the rentals when I was through with them. But, because we snorkel several times, we did keep the equipment until we left the private island.

As far as getting to the island in time for your snorkel excursion...there really isn't a defined time...you just snorkel whenever you want. Shore excursion personnel are on-hand to teach you and they have several "tours" where they take groups into the water and show you the sights beneath the water. I won't share more with you because I want to leave something for you to discover!

Debjo

Thank you all for the info. Not sure yet if we will buy or rent but I do feel better about it knowing I have a choice. Just to be totally clear on this, if we set the excursion up ahead of time, this will not in any way effect our ticketing for the tenders. We would not be put on an earlier tender to get to our excursion. We would simply get our snorkeling gear whenever we make our way over. Is that right and if so, would they refund your money if they run out of snorkel equipmment (I read a review that on the first cruise out of drydock they did run out)? I plan on being on an early tender but we are traveling with 2 other families and there will be slow moving teenagers in our group. Just want to know "what if" we get there on the late side. Thanks again.

For vacationgogo...

I think you've got it! Pre-booking the "snorkel" at Great Stirrup Cay DOES NOT get you priority tendering (unless you have a cabin with a concierge!). You'll have to get your tender tickets like everyone else that wants to go to the private island. I haven't heard of them "running out of snorkel equipment", but I would presume if that were the case and you had prebooked it, NCL should refund your money. To be on the safe side, why don't you call NCL headquarters at 1-800-327-7030 and wait for the prompts to get you to the Shore Excursion Department and talk to someone there about your concerns if they run out of snorkel equipment. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to have them email a response to you as well...it never hurts to have substantiating paperwork with you in case of a misunderstanding!

Debjo

We brought our own Mask/Snorkle - that way we have it with our glasses prescription. Plus I'm just more comfortable with gear I know.

We actually had a nice snorkle at GSC - head out to the left (towards but not into the tender lane) and look at the back side of the rocks - we saw quite a number of different fish.

We also liked the Athol island snokel at Nassau. It was a little choppy (it always is), but it's a nice location w/ a lot of wild life.

-----Burton

Everyone who snorkels has to use one of their flotation vests, so you never have to be over your head. My kids and I loved it - you could float on top of the water with just your face in the water - and see everything. My kids had never snorkeled before, and no problems at all. She should be fine.

If you bring your own snorkel and mask will you need to still RENT one of the flotation vests or are they free to use? (sure...yea right, something for free).

If you do need to 'rent' do you need to make arrangements for the vest beforehand (on ship)?

:confused:

For vacationgogo...

You and your daughter shouldn't worry about "being over your head" at Great Stirrup Cay. You have to walk into the water quite far for an adult to be shoulder deep in the water (at least it was that way before the hurricane damage last fall).

For naragonl...

I believe that the floatation vests are manditory for snorkelers, even if you bring your own snorkel equipment...I'm glad NCL is concerned about that safety issue. There was NO CHARGE for them on our 2004 DAWN Cruise at GSC if you had your own snorkel equipment.

Debjo

Archived