Any creative excuses to justify an upgrade?

newcruiser09

Thanks, Phil, for the pics of the tables. We hope to get passage on one of the S ships and just wonder about the tables. I know that on the M class the tables on regular balcony cabins are really small....not really good for dinner or any meals on the balcony.

Alas, we have to wait until after Thanksgiving to make a booking. (friends coming and deciding with us).

Do you just take your bottle of sparkling wine to the dining room with you and ask for an exchange of red or white wine?

Absolutely not! Have your stateroom attendant / butler sort it out, that's what he/she is there for.

how did you get any upgrade for $100. I've just rang the TA and they want £1132 each, yes pounds for an upgrade to a balcony cabin!! talk about rip off...

This is all going to be totally dependant on the particular cruise. There is no special upgrade fee. However, cruise prices are very different from cruise to cruise and from one point in time to another. It is not unusual to see certain cabin types discounted on a partuclar cruise if they are not selling well even if other cabin types are not discounted. Occasionally this supply and demand pricing used by the cruise lines even turns some prices upside down and you'll find rare cases when a higher cabin class is on special for a lower price than a lower cabin class.

Here in the USA, and presumably in the UK as well, you can check the cabin prices as frequently as you'd like on the Celebrity web site or that of various online travel sites.

In the USA, at any time if you find an attractive price on a higher category cabin you can upgrade by paying the selling price of the new cabin less the amount you've already paid for your existing cabin. If this is done before final payment date then you can actually get a net price reduction if the prices have dropped. After final payment you can't get a refund if the higher category cabin has dropped below what you paid but you can ask for, and should receive the upgrade. There are a few exceptions in that some Travel Agents have their own cancellation/change fees and some are even very customer unfriendly and might not be willing to make the change for you or might not act in time. Also, some special cruise prices are marked for new bookings only and are unavailable to those already booked.

I don't know how the above paragraph applies to bookings in the UK as I know the cancellation rights and costs are very different in some cases.

I presume the OP found that the higher category veranda cabin on their particular cruise had been reduced in cost to the point where the current price is only $100/pp more than what they originally booked for. This sometimes happens but sometimes prices can go up instead. The only way one know for certain is to check the prices frequently or find a TA who will do this for them.

thanks for the info. we are leaving next friday, so it's probably too late. but when i phoned a different ta the difference was much less, so obviously my ta can't be bothered with the paper work. it was still a big difference tho - about £700. i'll take a look on the celebrity web site

Look at it this way. It's your one chance to TRY a balcony cabin for a very small amount of money, especially that type of cabin. Take it now before it's too late! A balcony is worth every single penny extra. It changes the whole feel of the cruise. Sunrise, sunset, afternoon naps, a glass of wine, feeling and hearing the wind, watching for dolphins and flying fish, holding your significant other's hand, taking pictures, watching the stars. Do it, do it, do it. Just do it.

Absolutely not! Have your stateroom attendant / butler sort it out, that's what he/she is there for.

If they are reluctant or say it can't be exchanged, you can always ask your wine steward in the MDR. This will work better after you have purchased a bottle or two from him/her. Our experience was there was a limited selection of red or white wines that it could be exchanged for, but it was doable.

Don't do it! We did and it was the worst decision we ever made.

About 30 cruises back we upgraded for next to nothing. Since then we have never been satisfied with anything less than a verandah. Over the years it's cost us a fortune.

This made my day. And oh so true.

When I started looking into booking my upcoming cruise, I decided to go with the least expensive option because the airfare was expensive and I really just wanted to cruise again and it didn't matter what kind of room we had because we don't spend a ton of time in there anyway. After some research, I threw the cheapest option out the window and booked an ocean view room. Now I may have the option to upgrade to a CC room for around $100 pp. I'm pretty sure I'm going to do it, but and trying to convince myself it will be worth it and am thinking of things that would offset the cost - for example, having dinner on the balcony one night instead of doing the speciality restaurants. Any other ideas?

$100/pp to go from an oceanview to a Concierge Class with balcony? NO brainer. Do it.

When I started looking into booking my upcoming cruise, I decided to go with the least expensive option because the airfare was expensive and I really just wanted to cruise again and it didn't matter what kind of room we had because we don't spend a ton of time in there anyway. After some research, I threw the cheapest option out the window and booked an ocean view room. Now I may have the option to upgrade to a CC room for around $100 pp. I'm pretty sure I'm going to do it, but and trying to convince myself it will be worth it and am thinking of things that would offset the cost - for example, having dinner on the balcony one night instead of doing the speciality restaurants. Any other ideas?
For that price difference, I would have jumped on it immediately without the slightest hesitation.

No creative excuses needed. Just the balcony alone would make it worthwhile. The CC perks on top of it are all additional bonuses. I hope that you have stopped trying to convince yourself and have already booked it.

Now when you say the upgrade amount is around $100 pp I take it to mean that is the upgrade cost for the entire cruise, not $100 pp per day, in which case my reply would have been very different.

Life is short - Just do it! :D

I so agree!:D For $100 pp it is well worth it. There's nothing like having a balcony. Sometimes I spend alot of time on the balcony and sometimes not so much but it's great to have option and I love being able to walk out there in the early morning or late at night.

Archived