HELP! 1st Western Carribean Cruise next week!!!

Bug'sMom

First of all, let me say MANY thanks for all of the insightful information. I have been reading several posts for the last few weeks. Now, I need the experts to help me out!!! We are seven adults cruising on Celebrity's Century to Jamaica, Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Key West next week for the first time and want to know what to do and see on each island that is a must do! (Like if we could only go there once what shouldn't we miss?) Just your opinion from the experiences you have had. We are pretty open to whatever suggestions. We aren't party people....just looking for the best the Western Carribean has to offer i.e beaches, snorkeling, etc. So just throw out some ideas PLEASE! Muchas Gracias!

P.S. I am going to post this on each of the ports we are going to.

Kathy

Stingray Sandbar for Grand Cayman.

Dunn's River Falls for Jamaica

Key West - avoid all the tshirt shops, maybe the Conch Train tour, conch fritters - there used to be a stand outside of the aquarium, getting polluted in one of the bars Hemmingway frequented.

In Cozumel, my first choice would be snorkeling.

I'm in the same boat... no pun intended.... 1st western in a few weeks, however, I'm traveling with kids. My girls are 8 and 11 and would love the stingrays, however, I also have a very hyper almost 4 year old and wrestling him on a motor boat for 2 hours would not be fun at all! So the stingrays are out for now. Any other suggestions?

We are doing Paradise Beach in Coz

Probably taking a trolley around KW and eating some local food (then what???) Where is parasaling? Any good beaches?

And what do we do in GC???? Sea Grape Beach?

We were in Grand Cayman last week. We have 2 kids, ages 6&9, neither of them was interested in Stingrays. Unfortunately one of my daughter's friends was stung last summer by something, my guess is a jellyfish, but she told my kids it was a stingray. Thus, neither of them was going to get off that boat...

Our preference is to have a little space, and not be elbow to elbow with other cruisers from the many different cruise ships in port at the same time. We chose the Hyatt. Our taxi driver really tried to discourage us from this, saying the Hyatt won't let cruisers use their bathroom, let alone their beautiful facilities.

He dropped us off at the Colony, right next door and we walked over to the Hyatt. We purchased a day pass at the beach bar, for 35 dollars. This included a 15 dollar food or beverage credit, towels, and a beach chair with a sun shade. We only bought the pass for myself and my husband, the kids didn't need a chair.

They do have a security guard whose only job is to chase away cruisers who are trying to sneak in from the beach, but he was very nice when my dh said we were on our way to buy a day pass.

We had such a good time, before the water got rough we rented a jet ski, which was a blast, swam in both of their beautiful pools, had cocktails on the beach, and a very nice lunch. We could see the Colony next door, those people seemed to be having a great time too, but it was too crowded for us.

My dh wants to go back there for a land vacation.:D

I love these boards. Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences and opinions!!!:) Can't wait....this time next week I will have finished a fabulous dinner and will be waiting for someone to entertain me!

Kathy

The confusion comes because the beach side is open, the other side is not. There were people there who were guests of the hotel. I don't think Hyatt was updating thier website as quickly as they were repairing the damage. I wasn't sure what we'd find when we got there, especially after our cabbie said A, they wouldn't let us in, and B, they weren't open, but I knew a cruise critic member had been there in Feb, and voila, a day in paradise.

I'm in the same boat... no pun intended.... 1st western in a few weeks, however, I'm traveling with kids. My girls are 8 and 11 and would love the stingrays, however, I also have a very hyper almost 4 year old and wrestling him on a motor boat for 2 hours would not be fun at all! So the stingrays are out for now. Any other suggestions?

We are doing Paradise Beach in Coz

Probably taking a trolley around KW and eating some local food (then what???) Where is parasaling? Any good beaches?

And what do we do in GC???? Sea Grape Beach?

In Key West, I heartily recommend "Blue Heaven" if you want a real taste of KW. Grab a cab at the cruise pier - just a few $$$. This place is like no other - great for the kids, and avoids the bars.

As far as beaches, there is nothing really close to the ships, although Higgs beach is a decent public beach right next to the Casa Marina hotel. The public marina is in walking distance from the cruise ships and you'll be able to book parasailing or a catamaran ride right there.

lovemylife: how much extra was it to rent the jet ski? when you say it was $35 for use of their beach, etc. was it $70 for you and dh or $35 for you, dh and 2 kids?

bugsmom: i highly recommend dunns river falls in jamaica! :p

legend of the seas 11/19/05

disney wonder 7/01

celebrity zenith 8/99

lovemylife: how much extra was it to rent the jet ski? when you say it was $35 for use of their beach, etc. was it $70 for you and dh or $35 for you, dh and 2 kids?

bugsmom: i highly recommend dunns river falls in jamaica! :p

legend of the seas 11/19/05

disney wonder 7/01

celebrity zenith 8/99

The jet ski was 65$ for a half hour, we got a coupon from the bartender for 20$ off, so it was 45$. In comparison, we went to Marco Island after our cruise, and they charge 90$ for a half hour.(eek!) The Colony is right next door and they also rent jet skis. I don't know if they'd be cheaper.

It was 70$ for the 4 of us, we only bought the day passes for the adults. But remember you get 30$ of that back for lunch or cocktails. We were watching our home movies today, Wow, is that water beautiful!!:)

Archived