Hydrofoil from Naples to Sorrento and back

24butterfly

Ok.....I know it's been asked a 1000x before.....But where is it, how much is it, and could u give me an idea of the timetables for summer (or where to find them) for July? We will be there from 7:30 am until about 6:00pm....Also if u have any tips or horror stories.....Thanks!

http://www.metrodelmare.net/orari-tratte-e-tariffe/ is the website I use for the ferry times. This site is in Italian. The route is the Napoli-Sorrento-Salerno line. Click Napoli and you will see the times from Napoli to Sorrento. Click Sorrento and you will see the times back from Sorrento to Napoli. This route is also the ferry you would take to Positano and Amalfi. The summer schedule is not posted, but there are many more ferries. The fare is 11E. The ferry dock is right next to the cruise ships.

yes, the hydrofoil is right beside the cruise ships. When we got off the ship we walked a very short distance to the ticket booth and bought a ticket to Amalfi. We walked around Amalfi, had a coffe, relaxed for awhile then we took the local bus (very cheap) to Positano. We had lunch, checked out the town then had a drink by the beach. From Positano we bought a ticket for the hydrofoil back to Naples, it stopped in Sorrento but we didn't get off. This was a great way to see the Amalfi Coast, from the water and from land. I don't remember the how long our ship was in port but we got back pretty early and felt that we had a long day on land.

yes, the hydrofoil is right beside the cruise ships. When we got off the ship we walked a very short distance to the ticket booth and bought a ticket to Amalfi. We walked around Amalfi, had a coffe, relaxed for awhile then we took the local bus (very cheap) to Positano. We had lunch, checked out the town then had a drink by the beach. From Positano we bought a ticket for the hydrofoil back to Naples, it stopped in Sorrento but we didn't get off. This was a great way to see the Amalfi Coast, from the water and from land. I don't remember the how long our ship was in port but we got back pretty early and felt that we had a long day on land.

Hydrofoil is great unless there are no more tickets available for the time of day that you want or need. Can they provide transport to unlimited amount of passangers? For same time slot?

The docks are close to each other, however, it all depends on where your ship docks. We were on the Grand Princess and docked at the furthest pier away from Beverello. We are two older ladies and couldn't walk the distance.

The Captain had announced the evening before there would be a shuttle, so we left the ship at about 8:15, wanted to catch the 9:00 hydrofoil. The bus was sitting there, but when we walked over to it, the driver was very rude and said the shuttle would start at 9:00, to go away. There were a lot of taxi drivers, I showed them on the map where we wanted to go, but nobody wanted that short a fare.

We walked over and sat down wondering what to do as Plan "B". If we waited for the shuttle, we would miss the hydrofoil. But felt the next hydrofoil was too late to make the start. As we were sitting there talking, a taxi driver came over and in broken English proceeded to convince us to hire him to take us to Sorrento, at a cost of 100 EUR pp.

It was more expensive than the hydrofoil, but it ended up being our best day of a 21 day cruise. It was like watching the "Lives of the Rich & Famous" only we were living it. We had our own personal driver (he was only a taxi driver, not a licensed guide). He stopped when we wanted to stop, and was so concerned about two elderly ladies traveling in Italy alone. Where was our husband or son to accompany us. When we arrived in Pompei, he stopped in front of a restaurant to drop us off and told us three times to be sure to come back to that spot in 2 hours, that he couldn't park there, but he would be back to pick us up.

Then on to Sorrento. Again he dropped us off, and parked the cab. He saw us coming out of the store, joined us and carried our bags to the cab. I asked him if he knew a good restaurant that was inexpensive. He walked us to the restaurant, spoke to the waiter in Italian, and we were seated. But he didn't join us for lunch (I had planned to pay for his lunch) but he had quietly disappeared. After lunch, we shopped some more and went to the local bank to exchange some dollars into EUR. When we returned to the square, he was waiting for us.

As we headed back to Naples, he said he would take us on a short Mini-tour of Naples. He put on a CD of Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, etc. and was so happy when we started singing along to the songs. I asked if he always listened to them, or was it just for the tourists? He said they were his favorites and he was pleased that we liked his music. He took us to some of the key points of interest, stopped for photos, and returned us to the ship at about 4:15 as we were departing at 5:00.

Always have a Plan "A", but also have a Plan "B" for when Plan A falls apart. I had been to Italy before, so knew what I wanted to do, the plan just seemed to fall apart a lot. We tried to do some ports independent, but Princess never gave much information for the independent traveler, they were geared more toward their tours of course. We did a mix of independent, ships tours and a couple of tours arranged on our roll call.

Have a great trip!

http://www.metrodelmare.net/orari-tratte-e-tariffe/ is the website I use for the ferry times. This site is in Italian. The route is the Napoli-Sorrento-Salerno line. Click Napoli and you will see the times from Napoli to Sorrento. Click Sorrento and you will see the times back from Sorrento to Napoli. This route is also the ferry you would take to Positano and Amalfi. The summer schedule is not posted, but there are many more ferries. The fare is 11E. The ferry dock is right next to the cruise ships.

Haven't clicked on anything yet, but it appears that the hydrofoil stops in Salerno ? We docked in Salerno instead of Naples this past July...Just wondering if X will do that again, and what Plan B is if they do...

Thank you everyone for your replies. As usual, CC'rs are the best.

Haven't clicked on anything yet, but it appears that the hydrofoil stops in Salerno ? We docked in Salerno instead of Naples this past July...Just wondering if X will do that again, and what Plan B is if they do...

Thank you everyone for your replies. As usual, CC'rs are the best.

Hi. when you exit the passenger terminal in Beverello, the ferry ticket offices are on your left, facing away from the sea and towards Castel Nuovo. There are several ferry lines, some do the Naples-Sorrento trip and others further afield to Salerno, Amalfi, Positano etc. Just look closely at the signs and ask if you are unsure. There is a bar on the other side of the exit road which is very good and half the price of drinks in Sorrento. We used the hydrofoil last Friday and it was horrendous. It bounced about like offshore powerboat racing and it wasn't even a rough sea! Maybe we are wimpy sailors. Enjoy. Cruiseireland:D

Archived