HMC Question

RMM34667

OK I tried the Ports of Call board, but too anxious to wait days for a response.

I was just looking at a map of Half Moon Cay

http://www.insightcruises.com/pdf/Half_Moon_Cay.pdf

It shows a TRAM from the Welcome Center to the TROPICS Resturant. What is the deal with that? If that is easy transportation it would open up the options for the cabanas. Traveling with my elderly parents and was thinking I had to try to grab like 1-3. But if we can hop on that tram then maybe 5 or 6 (even 7) would be possible. (near buffett, near Restrooms and not to far to walk)

It is open for everyone? do you need any kind of tickets or anything?

Thanks for any info!

Yes, you can ride the tram to any of the cabanas.

We had #14 and used the tram to get there and go back to the pier at the end of the day.

No tickets needed for the tram.

Yes, you can ride the tram to any of the cabanas.

We had #14 and used the tram to get there and go back to the pier at the end of the day.

No tickets needed for the tram.

Thanks for taking the time to respond! This is good new.

#8 and #9 are on either side of the steps, up to the bathrooms and the path to the food pavillion.

I usually leave DW at #8 and walk to the pavillion and bring the food back, rather than both of us trekking for food.

Great location. (but a decent, hot, walk to the food pavillion for the mobility impaired)

Bill

WOW more great information! Do they show you a map at the excusion desk when you pick? The map I was looking at might have been out dated. I probably wouldn't do the cabana if it my father wasn't going. But I want him to be with us for the day and this will be PERFECT. I've read such great things about HMC here. I've never been there.

I can just picture him in one of those comfy loungers in front of the fan drinking a mudslide or bushwacker. No worries about what he is doing alone on the ship.

Now if I could just figure out how to get him down that LONG LONG pier at Grand Turk. I'm thinking of buying a light wheelchair just for that day. But we are driving and trunk space will be limited. I've found I can rent one for the 5 days at $75 -$95 (they say it depends on the height and weight of the person) and they deliver it right to the stateroom. But I can buy one for about $100-$125. Or my least favorite option is to let him stay aboard that day. It's a short day anyway..

When you book the cabana they will show you a map of the cabanas and where they are. The cabanas go fast so get to the excursion desk as soon as possible and book it. Good luck and hope your dad enjoys it, I know you will. The island is beautiful.

Book the cabana ONLINE to make sure you do get one. You still have to go to excursion desk on board to pick the cabana number.

On our cruise the cabanas were sold out 3 months before sail date.

Also, check with guest services about renting a wheel chair for the week. On Valor they were $50 deposit ..refundable .. and then $125 for the entire week and can be used on and off the ship.

Book the cabana ONLINE to make sure you do get one. You still have to go to excursion desk on board to pick the cabana number.

On our cruise the cabanas were sold out 3 months before sail date.

Good to know about booking online. That option wasn't available when we cruised.

We had cabana 5 . The cabanas are nice but the problem with 5 is it is right next to the pirate ship bar so there was some traffic and a couple of people attempting to use the shower and put personal belongings on the steps. The plus was that there is a bathroom in the pirate ship bar so that was nice.

My husband is recovering from a compound fracture of the ankle (was not allowed to put any weight on his foot) and a broken shoulder - another reason we like the pirate bar with the bathroom. We borrowed a sand wheelchair at HMC but I think the tram would have been better because that was not the easiest thing to push. Luckily we had friends with us and he did the pushing for me. The food pavailian was close and I grabbed lunch and brought it back for my husband.

I was surprised how close all the cabanas are. The maps make them look like they are spread out.

Enjoy!!!

I was surprised how close all the cabanas are. The maps make them look like they are spread out.

1-5 are the original cabanas and are close together, nearest the tender dock and all of the people on the beach.

Then you have the new shipwreck bar and then the equipment rental shack.

A decent sized break between Cabana #5 and #6..

Then #6 - #15 are spaced about 20-25 feet apart down the rest of the beach.

The higher number Cabana, the further down the beach and the further from the crowds.

Bill

Take the little tram/trolley thing that comes along frequently to get your food. It works great for us.

#8 and #9 are on either side of the steps, up to the bathrooms and the path to the food pavillion.

I usually leave DW at #8 and walk to the pavillion and bring the food back, rather than both of us trekking for food.

Great location. (but a decent, hot, walk to the food pavillion for the mobility impaired)

Bill

Would just like to add that since Irene blew through the vegetation, including shade trees are gone....so beware that the cabanas get very toasty in the afternoon.....really toasty.....we actually found it better to be under the few trees later in the day.....although cabana #6 looked to have shade all day......well in Sept...anyway...the sun does change....just a heads up guys.........have a blast....Destiny was great as were the ports of call....HMC is one of my fav spots.......the colour of the water is unbelieveable....

More great insights!

I did book mine online already. I guess I will just have to see what's available by the time I get aboard. Since I'm not looking for the higher numbers I should do OK. I'll try for 8 based on the info above. (or maybe 6 for the shade?)

Thanks for all the information shared. It will make a big difference for us! These boards are priceless!!

Archived