Carnival - Foods to feed a 9mo?

RizzoLee

Our cruise is 3 months away, and we'll be starting my EBF'd 6mo on solids this week. He'll be 9mo by the time we cruise.

This is my DH and my's 7th cruise, but while I can recite the menus back and forth, I'm having issues picturing foods to feed to DS while away. I'm hoping to be on mushy and finger foods by then; I have a KidCo baby grinder that we'll be using, and I'm bringing my pump just in case, though DS is EBF'd.

It'll probably get easier as DS moves through solids, but I'm starting to feel overwhelmed to make sure he's okay to eat on board. I'm bringing some jarred food from home just in case, in his bag and in mine. I'd like to prep him to be able to eat a wide variety of the menu.

Primarily I'm concerned about foods being mixed with other foods that he hasn't been introduced to - like spices, or herbs on chicken, etc.

So far I've considered to be able to prep him for the following:

Yogurt, bananas, mashed potatoes, mushy green beans/peas, mushy carrots, egg yolk (if they'll do just egg yolks), mushy tomatoes, (considering) cottage cheese, toast cut very tiny, plain chicken, plain fish (white fish or salmon).

If anyone can help brainstorm anything else it would be appreciated!

You will be more than fine. My kids never ate prepared baby food. In the morning there is oatmeal, grits, eggs, bananas, yogurt and plenty of fruit. Pancakes mashed up with a little water which seemed gross to me was a huge favorite of my daughters. Lunch and dinner there are always potatoes, veggies, etc. I would just mash the stuff up myself with two forks. Use a little hot water from the coffee station. The hot makes things mush easier and used a starch to thicken. Soups are great to use also.

Bring a deeper bowl as it makes the mashing easier and less messy. I brought a few of the round Chinese food containers or the ones from potato salad. Not the tall one but the medium size. Much easier than baby bowls. It's amazing what can be mashed.

As an aside I would not exclude spices/flavor in your babies diet. I didn't with my first and he is such a picky eater. Middle I eased up and the third eats everything under the sun. Sorry for the unsolicited parenting advice but having a picky eater sucks:)

As the others have said, you will be able to find things for the most part. Absolute worst case scenario, your little one doesn't eat much solid food for the week and he BFs. At 9mo he will be fine without the solids if he refuses them. I'm sure that you have already consider it, but make sure that you anticipate what you will feed him on the ship so that you can do a 3 day allergy test at home. If you are feeding jarred/pouched baby food you may want to bring some along with you just in case. If you are feeding exclusively homemade babyfood, check and see whether your local store sells individual portions (like fruit cup size) servings of both fruits and veggies. My local Walmart has carrots and green beans in plastic fruit cups that are sold in 6 packs. I took these places with me and would grind them up to order. Also unsweetend applesauce fruit cups are much cheaper and easier to come by than babyfood applesauce.

Thanks - that's the exact idea I was going with, to make sure DS has passed the allergy 'testing' on all the food options we'll be going with.

Our local public health unit is against adding seasonings, etc. to foods until after a year old, but my DH is a former chef, so DS will be a gourmet by his 2nd bday, lol.

Archived