2nd time cruiser questions

JayaShi

Hi all,

We're off for our second cruise on 12/11 Solstice. 2 adults and 2 girls (7&4)

According to http://cruisett.com/ships.php?ShipID=63&date=40

there will be 17566 people during our call in Grand Cayman, 16153 in Cozumel and 9814 in Roatan..!

this sounds terrifying! Any tips what to do during these days? I assume it will be very busy everywhere!

Another thing is, during our fisrt cruise staff advised to us to become a Captains club member. So we are.

Do we have to mention this getting onboard?

These are probably stupid questions, but I just dont know.

Thank in advance!

17566Norwegian Sun, Voyager Of The Seas, Carnival Legend, Carnival Valor, Disney Magic

17566Norwegian Sun, Voyager Of The Seas, Carnival Legend, Carnival Valor, Disney Magic

As far as the Captain's Club goes, you're all set. If you have any questions, check with the Captain's Club hostess once you're on board.

As far as the crowds in port go, that's a good question. With these new giant ships, you can be overwhelmed by the number of people. Unless you're serious beach people, you might consider staying on the ship at least one of those ports. You and the kids can have some uncrowded pool time.

Have you joined your roll call? If not, you can find it here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1280212. Maybe some of your fellow cruisers have developed plans for avoiding the crowds.

In Grand Cayman go to Seven Mile Beach. The water is beautiful. Most of the crowds are in concentrated areas like Royal Palms. All you have to do is take a cab there and then walk up the beach a couple hundred yards and the crowds won't be bad. I like to go to Royal Palms (and walk up the beach) despite the crowds because I know taxis will be there ready to take us back to the ship. Give yourself plenty of time to get back because there are often traffic jams coming back into town when the place is crowded with cruisers.

I've been to Cozumel too on days with lots of ships. But the people are dispersed amongst many different places and activities, many will be shopping in the hundreds of cruise tourist stores, so you can still have a good time. We like to go to Chankanaab National Park. The entry fee seems to keep it from getting too crowded. Nice facilities, beautiful water, and a decent place for snorkeling. Just lounge under a palapa and order your first Tecate. You'll forget about the crowds.

Both of these places handle that many cruisers quite regularly, so don't let the crowds discourage you. Just need to plan a strategy to deal with it.

In Cozumel we spent $49 apiece to spend the day at Nachi Cocom Beach Club, where the price of admission gives you all day on the beach, a four-course lunch, whatever (alcoholic or non-) you want to drink, access to a swimming pool, bar and changing rooms and your own little lounging spot with beach chairs and a straw umbrella (palapas) for shade. Best of all, they only let 100 people in on any given day, so the beach is NEVER crowded. It's a lovely beach, the food is good, and we were really happy we went there. For a couple with small kids, it seems as if it would be perfect.

(The price is going up to $55 in December, but it's still worth your while. It's an easy and inexpensive taxi ride from the port.)

Hi again,

Thanks for your responses!

I never knew there is a Roll Call, but I'm very happy its here!:D

What we (read: my wife) like to do is have a walk around the shops and then on to a beach.

for now I'll go and bother our fellow 12/11 cruisers!

thanks again

Archived