My Very First Cruise! Eastern Caribbean on Epic - Suggestions Welcome!

sush68

Greeting from New Mexico! I will be a first-time cruiser on the December sailing of the NCL Epic! I will be traveling solo (as I enjoy to do what I want to do when I want to do it J) and staying in a studio stateroom.

For your reference: I am female, 27, and enjoy good food, spa-ing, sunbathing, live entertainment, great cocktails, and reading (not all at once of course). I do not have children but like them well enough, however I don’t want to spend my vacation surrounded by them non-stop.

I plan to do a lot of the fee restaurants and the fee entertainment since it’s just me (again, the joy of traveling solo!), spend a good amount of time sunbathing by the pool, and splurge on a spa day.

During port days I want to visit beaches and lounge the day away. A day pass at a resort in Nassau is something I’m looking into (not Atlantis!), Sandals in Nassau sounds nice but do they only let couples buy day passes? Breezes sounds sorta trashy so I’m leaning away from that one. Any other suggestions? I might consider some type of excursion but I’m pretty clumsy so I’m not sure about scuba diving or anything like that.

Thanks for reading – any suggestions for planning, packing, on-board activities, excursions, etc. are greatly appreciated!

There are lots of reviews of the Epic on here, including a couple of them in my signature line. The one that Don wrote is from his experience in a Studio on Epic, so it will be a very relevant read for you

Since you enjoy sunbathing, I would definitely go directly to guest services and purchase the Posh pass. Given that they are limited in number, I would waste no time in obtaining one once onboard. Posh is a wonderful place to lounge, particularly on sea days. You will not be sorry! It was one of my favorite things to do during the day.

Since you enjoy sunbathing, I would definitely go directly to guest services and purchase the Posh pass. Given that they are limited in number, I would waste no time in obtaining one once onboard. Posh is a wonderful place to lounge, particularly on sea days. You will not be sorry! It was one of my favorite things to do during the day.

Agree 100%. A mecca for sunbathers on the Epic.

1609-vi.jpg

1627-vi.jpg

1615-vi.jpg

Greeting from New Mexico! I will be a first-time cruiser on the December sailing of the NCL Epic! I will be traveling solo (as I enjoy to do what I want to do when I want to do it J) and staying in a studio stateroom.

For your reference: I am female, 27, and enjoy good food, spa-ing, sunbathing, live entertainment, great cocktails, and reading (not all at once of course). I do not have children but like them well enough, however I don’t want to spend my vacation surrounded by them non-stop.

I plan to do a lot of the fee restaurants and the fee entertainment since it’s just me (again, the joy of traveling solo!), spend a good amount of time sunbathing by the pool, and splurge on a spa day.

During port days I want to visit beaches and lounge the day away. A day pass at a resort in Nassau is something I’m looking into (not Atlantis!), Sandals in Nassau sounds nice but do they only let couples buy day passes? Breezes sounds sorta trashy so I’m leaning away from that one. Any other suggestions? I might consider some type of excursion but I’m pretty clumsy so I’m not sure about scuba diving or anything like that.

Thanks for reading – any suggestions for planning, packing, on-board activities, excursions, etc. are greatly appreciated!

You might want to buy the spa pass. Go check out the spa when you first get on board to see if you like it. There is an aft balcony for sunbathing, heated tile loungers, wonderful herbal steamrooms, saunas, and a really pretty hot tub and mineral pool. There are all sorts of teas you can make to enjoy while lounging around. It was my favorite place on the ship.

You say you wouldn't like scuba but have you thought about snorkeling? You can snorkel off the beaches or do a catamaran snorkel...

As far as packing, take 2 bathing suits but you really don't need a lot of clothes. It is dress up or down as you are comfortable. I packed just one dressy skirt and several tops to wear in the evenings. Days were capris and tops...

I loved the shampoo and soap but there is no conditioner or lotion, so bring that if you need it.

Plenty of member reviews to glean tidbits from. My recommendations are to do some pre-planning on this cruise. Popular shows like Blueman, and 2nd City sell out quickly, so I would pre-book those. Ditto some of the popular restaurants, like Moderno, Cagneys, and LeBistro. There are several threads on this board relating to restaurant recommendations (do a search). The Noodle bar and the Sushi bar are standouts, in addition to those listed above. Manhattan restaurant is a good one, if on the busy side. Nassau....beautiful water and beaches. St thomas...I love St Johns, even if just to hang out at Woody's in Cruz Bay. St Maarten.....I love the beach bars at the Orient beach area. Also the Sunset bar at Maho beach is a hoot for watching planes land right over your head. And for watching people get blown into the ocean when they take off. I hope you have a wonderful cruise!

By the way, don't over pack. This is free style cruising : ). Take some Bonine with you for motion sickness ( just in case). No clocks in the cabin, so take you own. Bring a 3-way plug to plug extra stuff into. We take a small cooler, which your steward will keep filled with ice. Bring a yellow highliter to mark the Dailies with activities or shows you want to attend. Bring your own sunscreen and sunglasses (those sold onboard are expensive and junky). Bring several books or a Kindle. Don't feel you must get off at every port. The ship itself is very quiet when everyone else is ashore and you'll have the pools and loungers to yourself. Check out Club H2O area very aft. They also have their own buffet and bar. Great place for a snack when you 1st board. Don't miss the White Hot Party. Wear white. Lots of energy on this ship and I think you will really enjoy it.

Pub Crawl. I was solo on the Epic and met more people at Pub Craw that became my cruising buddies for the whole week. I wish I would have spent more than 1 day at Posh. Check out Howl at the Moon! If you are a carnivore, try Moderno before Cagneys. (both are awesome!) Relax and have fun!

Thank you so much for the tips and suggestions! I've been going through a lot of posts and trying to learn as much as I can before its time to cruise! Couldn't do it without helpful folks such as ya'll :)

Thank you for the pics of Posh - beautiful! And just what I was looking for. I believe I will get a pass to Posh and a pass to the Spa as well. Can I buy both of these passes when I get onboard on the first day of the cruise?

Archived