Scenic drive, Harrison Caves & Beach

kittycrusin08

Wonder if it is best to go to Harrison Caves on a tour or would it be possible to take a cab there? Has anyone used Scenic Barbados Tours for a visit to Harrison Caves? We are interested in doing something relaxing in Barbados and thought a visit to the Cave, a drive and the beach might be more relaxing than a more intensive tour. Any ideas are welcome. ;)

Wonder if it is best to go to Harrison Caves on a tour or would it be possible to take a cab there? Has anyone used Scenic Barbados Tours for a visit to Harrison Caves? We are interested in doing something relaxing in Barbados and thought a visit to the Cave, a drive and the beach might be more relaxing than a more intensive tour. Any ideas are welcome. ;)

When are you sailing? Looking for same info-and considering car rental, to see caves,Bathsheba, coast/beaches.

Been to Barbados six times (my Dad was an ex-pat there) and I love Harrison's Cave. If you're comfortable driving on the left-hand side of the road and can get GOOD directions (the interior roads are not well marked), I think this is do-able. You could also take a cab there - just to be sure to arrange for a pick up afterward, as it's not like in the States when you can just hail a cab.

My favorite beaches are on the east side of the island, but know they're really too rough to swim in.

Been to Barbados six times (my Dad was an ex-pat there) and I love Harrison's Cave. If you're comfortable driving on the left-hand side of the road and can get GOOD directions (the interior roads are not well marked), I think this is do-able. You could also take a cab there - just to be sure to arrange for a pick up afterward, as it's not like in the States when you can just hail a cab.

My favorite beaches are on the east side of the island, but know they're really too rough to swim in.

Looking at a menu item--

can you tell me what breadfruit soup may taste similar too?

it comes with saltbread--what is that?

"Looking at a menu item--

it comes with saltbread--what is that?"

Breadfruit soup tastes like a combination of potatoes and bread. Chicken stock is used in it for most of the islands, however Trinidad and Tobago use beef stock.

Salt bread is a staple on the island. It is those hard rolls with the soft inside that cutters are made from.

6 1/2 cups of white flour

2 teaspoons of white granulated sugar

1 teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons of vegetable oil

2 packs of yeast

2/14 cups of warm water

My wife can make them easily when we are on the island, but they seem impossible back in the states. They tell me it is the sugar that makes the difference and Barbados has a world-renound sugar but the best cooks swear by the coconut leaves they put on top of the rising loaf.

Be sure and try these two staples of the island. I think you'll be pleased

"Looking at a menu item--

it comes with saltbread--what is that?"

Breadfruit soup tastes like a combination of potatoes and bread. Chicken stock is used in it for most of the islands, however Trinidad and Tobago use beef stock.

Salt bread is a staple on the island. It is those hard rolls with the soft inside that cutters are made from.

6 1/2 cups of white flour

2 teaspoons of white granulated sugar

1 teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons of vegetable oil

2 packs of yeast

2/14 cups of warm water

My wife can make them easily when we are on the island, but they seem impossible back in the states. They tell me it is the sugar that makes the difference and Barbados has a world-renound sugar but the best cooks swear by the coconut leaves they put on top of the rising loaf.

Be sure and try these two staples of the island. I think you'll be pleased

Thanks--you went above and beyond providing a recipe.

But...what are cutters?

• 2 weeks later...
"what are cutters? "

Sandwiches. A flying fish cutter is a flying fish sandwich. Your choice of meat between the salt bread rolls.

Strange, yes? ;)

Strange but I bet yummy. I am thinking of trying a cutter...it isn't too "fishy" tasting is it? I am more of a MCDonalds fish gal or grilled white fish.

No...it's a very mild white fish.

Here it is with out the buns..

FF-COOKED.jpg

There are few who do not love it.

I'll bet that you do, too. ;)

That looks good enough to eat! Local restaurant? I heard some local grill place with little atmosphere but good food across from Accra beach--Just Grillin?

Just Grillin' is good. We go to the one in Holetown as it is closer than Hastings for us. Their catch of the day usually includes flying fish.

I can't remember where that picture was taken. It was either at The Roundhouse in Bathsheba or at The Waterfront Cafe at The Careenage in B-Town. Lightly seasoned and steamed is the way my wife likes them....I'm a breaded kind of guy. Either way they're good.

A person finds some of the best FF cutters at the least likely spots. The little brightly painted but run-down chattel rum shops have some food that will knock your socks off, so don't be afraid to try these spots. Your cabbie know the best places, guaranteed.

Enjoy your visit and please come back to see us again soon. :)

Archived