Carnival Victory San Juan 7 day S. Carribbean

jfelano

Tampa/San Juan- St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, St. Maarten.

April 15, 2012.

I was wondering if you could tell what are the best snorkeling destinations or excursions of these 5 islands. I'm asking cause I can't do them all so I would like to do 2-3 of the best ones.

Also if anyone knows a decent 3 star hotel in a not too bad part of town that's $100 or so a night. Doesn't need to be right in San Juan, I have no problem taking a taxi to the port.

Thanks

We did a discover scuba class in St. Thomas at Coki Beach- they also offer snorkleing. I have heard that Barbados and St. Maarten were very popular for these type of water activities as well. The day we were in St. Maarten the water wasnt very clear and there was a lot of seaweed around (we were on the beach in between the water taxis). Maybe the French side has clearer water? Or couldve just had a storm before we were there...

April 15, 2012.

I was wondering if you could tell what are the best snorkeling destinations or excursions of these 5 islands. I'm asking cause I can't do them all so I would like to do 2-3 of the best ones.

Also if anyone knows a decent 3 star hotel in a not too bad part of town that's $100 or so a night. Doesn't need to be right in San Juan, I have no problem taking a taxi to the port.

Thanks

Book Calabaza Sailings in Barbados....great snorkeling and they only take 12 people.....awesome fish,turtles,stingrays and sunken ships you get to see....highly recommend...best excursion ever...goggle them its not through Carnival!

As for a nice hotel, we stayed at the Marriott Stellaris in the Condado area. It's about a 10 minute drive from Old San Juan and it's right on the beach. We got a room for $100 per night through priceline and would not hesitate to stay there again. It's a safe area with lots of restaurants within walking distance of the hotel.

Okay, I'm convinced. I just booked for November 2012, with my daughter. (Actually, she was given the final choice between this cruise and simply staying at one of the Western Caribbean islands).

With a Liberty cruise before Christmas, it's obsession to the power of 2.

We used Island Girl in St. Thomas to swim with the turtles. One huge advantage of this is that Capt. Mike picks you up at the cruise dock and you avoid a taxi ride which can waste time. It was just my sister, myself and Capt. Mike and we went to Buck Island on his 45 ft. sloop and it was great. We got refreshments and were treated like queens!!

April 15, 2012.

Thanks

jfelano,

Head over to the Roll Calls and join us - it's picking up with tips and information.

We haven't booked any excursions or our hotel yet, either.:eek:

We did a discover scuba class in St. Thomas at Coki Beach- they also offer snorkleing. I have heard that Barbados and St. Maarten were very popular for these type of water activities as well. The day we were in St. Maarten the water wasnt very clear and there was a lot of seaweed around (we were on the beach in between the water taxis). Maybe the French side has clearer water? Or couldve just had a storm before we were there...

Three of our group are signed up to do a discover dive with Coki Beach Dive Club on our Victory cruise in January...is that who you did your dive with? If so what was your experience? My husband is already certified so they are arranging it so he can go out with the new divers as well.

There will be 2 of us who plan to just hang out on the beach and snorkel while the others dive. I have read enough negative reviews that I am a bit worried about the beach. What is your opinion?

Three of our group are signed up to do a discover dive with Coki Beach Dive Club on our Victory cruise in January...is that who you did your dive with? If so what was your experience? My husband is already certified so they are arranging it so he can go out with the new divers as well.

There will be 2 of us who plan to just hang out on the beach and snorkel while the others dive. I have read enough negative reviews that I am a bit worried about the beach. What is your opinion?

We booked through Carnival but did notice once there that their prices were slightly cheaper(carnivals included transportation so it evens out).

There was 1 certified person in our group so they got to go out with an instructor on their own and then they broke the rest of us up into groups of 4. We did a 30 minutes class on the basics, put our belongings behind the counter and then went to the beach to put on equipment. There are guys on the beach who "help you find a seat" if you want to rent a lounger. The beach was clean and water was clear. They were in the process of building new restroom facilities at the end of March so they may be done. Also on site is "Coral World" if anyone has kids this looked like a neat place to spend time.

The beach was nice, wasnt too crowded and there were lizards and iguanas running around! There was a place for you to buy food & drink as well. I wouldnt hesititate to go back and dive there as well as spend some time on the beach.

This is the only picture of the beach I got. It was taken with a disposable underwater camera so the quality isnt the best.

00050026.jpg

April 15, 2012.

Thanks

I've heard good results using Priceline. Just research first what hotels are offered in each zone.

We booked through Carnival but did notice once there that their prices were slightly cheaper(carnivals included transportation so it evens out).

There was 1 certified person in our group so they got to go out with an instructor on their own and then they broke the rest of us up into groups of 4. We did a 30 minutes class on the basics, put our belongings behind the counter and then went to the beach to put on equipment. There are guys on the beach who "help you find a seat" if you want to rent a lounger. The beach was clean and water was clear. They were in the process of building new restroom facilities at the end of March so they may be done. Also on site is "Coral World" if anyone has kids this looked like a neat place to spend time.

The beach was nice, wasnt too crowded and there were lizards and iguanas running around! There was a place for you to buy food & drink as well. I wouldnt hesititate to go back and dive there as well as spend some time on the beach.

This is the only picture of the beach I got. It was taken with a disposable underwater camera so the quality isnt the best.

00050026.jpg

Is that Coki Beach?? You dive right off the beach? Wow that looks very nice.

Book Calabaza Sailings in Barbados....great snorkeling and they only take 12 people.....awesome fish,turtles,stingrays and sunken ships you get to see....highly recommend...best excursion ever...goggle them its not through Carnival!

Thanks Bro!! Exactly what I'm looking for.

As for a nice hotel, we stayed at the Marriott Stellaris in the Condado area. It's about a 10 minute drive from Old San Juan and it's right on the beach. We got a room for $100 per night through priceline and would not hesitate to stay there again. It's a safe area with lots of restaurants within walking distance of the hotel.

Thank you so much! My friend that I'm going with has a Marriott points card with lots of points so we can probably get a free night so that's perfect. On the beach, Near restaraunts, awesome. Thanks!

We used Island Girl in St. Thomas to swim with the turtles. One huge advantage of this is that Capt. Mike picks you up at the cruise dock and you avoid a taxi ride which can waste time. It was just my sister, myself and Capt. Mike and we went to Buck Island on his 45 ft. sloop and it was great. We got refreshments and were treated like queens!!

I'll check it out, sounds cool!

We're doing this one in a couple days :) I'll report back. Headed out in about 20 hours for the airport :D

We did the Victory cruise the week you got off in March 2011, we have also done the Destiny 4X and last two have been Key West/Cozumel-

thought you may want to see a few photos-

keep in mind our key west was during Halloween & Fan Fest

Fall 2009 when docked at Mallory square Key West

http://travel.webshots.com/album/575425266fozMmY?vhost=travel

In fall 2010 Destiny docked at naval area and took train shuttle -not bad to get off, but coming back created a long line for return.

I did a sailing tour to st john and the barrier islands in st thomas, it was great say lots of fish and turtles http://www.daydreamervi.com

Best snorkeling will defo be on Barbados I agree with jersey bruce

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1490846712586&set=a.1493191051193.2067914.1276545878&type=3&theater

Thanks for the photo...the beach looks nice. Hopefully it won't be too crowded...I think there will be 3 other ships in port with us in St. Thomas.

The Dive shop said they will deduct the price of the taxi from the dives OR they can provide a driver for our group if we want...and...for a little extra the driver could give us a tour of the island. I have been very impressed with the emails and phone calls from the dive shop...hopefully our day will go well.

Thank you so much! My friend that I'm going with has a Marriott points card with lots of points so we can probably get a free night so that's perfect. On the beach, Near restaraunts, awesome. Thanks!

Glad I could help. There is also a Starbucks right across the street and a Walgreens about a block away. On Friday and Saturday nights there is a Salsa band playing in the large lobby.

Thanks for the photo...the beach looks nice. Hopefully it won't be too crowded...I think there will be 3 other ships in port with us in St. Thomas.

The Dive shop said they will deduct the price of the taxi from the dives OR they can provide a driver for our group if we want...and...for a little extra the driver could give us a tour of the island. I have been very impressed with the emails and phone calls from the dive shop...hopefully our day will go well.

No problem. That's great about the transportation, I enjoyed our driver that they provided for Carnivals excursion. I wish we would've taken an island tour, just another reason to go back:D

Archived