Can you carry on ALL your luggage when embarking in Barcelona?

ldb2

In the FAQ's on Carnival's website, it says that in many ports you can carry on your own luggage as long as it is no wider than 16" X 24" (no length restrictions). Does anyone know if you can do this in Barcelona?

We were able to carry on all our luggage ourselves when we embarked in Rome (Civitivecchia) a couple of years ago. We put it through the security scanners before checking in and no one said anything; when we were checking in the reps told us we should have checked our 24" suitcases outside, but we told them they let us bring them through security and they just said something to the effect of "oh - if they let you bring them through then it is okay" and on we went. It was so nice not to have to worry about your luggage all arriving safely, and as we only each had one carry on and one 24" suitcase, it was not difficult to carry it all on our own. We are hoping to be able to do this in Barcelona on the Breeze next year.

Laurie

I think the answer is "yes", but I hope someone can answer more definitively. Barcelona was sort of odd. For our trip on the Magic in July, there was a long conveyor belt that started from outside the terminal building and ran into the building though an opening in the wall. It must have been at least 50 feet long. Maybe longer. Usually, I don't like to hand over my bags because (a) I don't like the fact that non-Carnival porters are trying to extort as large a tip as possible, and (b) I'm always wary that if I haven't satisfied the porters, my bags will be deliberately withheld or misdirected. I've heard too many stories about this.

What seemed to be happening at Barcelona, where everyone seems to arrive by taxi, is that the three of four "porters" (who were 20-something fellows, not surly dockworkers) were accosting passengers emerging from the taxis that happened to be parking nearest the end of the conveyor belt. They were more or less ignoring the other passengers arriving. I think they were looking for tips to carry the bags 5 feet and place them on the belt. As other passengers walked up to the belt, the porters seemed to be shooing them away (I assume this was their attempt to act like American porters to the effect that if you weren't willing to pay them a fee, you couldn't put your own bags on the belt). I heard them even specifically shooing away one group and directing them to take their bags with them into the terminal building.

While all this was happening, we sort of snuck up (along with a big crowd of other passengers) to the back side of the conveyor and put our bags on. We watched them go in through the hole in the wall and were satisfied that even if we had annoyed the porters, it was very unlikely that they'd be in any sort of position to do anything about it.

Thanks T. Advisor King for the info - sounds like some people were carrying their luggage right in to the terminal - hopefully someone else can confirm that they were able to do this!

Laurie

Archived