Playa Uvas???

6Health7

Before we decided to rent a car for the day, my family considered Playa Uvas, but we were not planning to do the AI. They also allow free use of the beach plus 90 minutes snorkel equipment (30 minutes guided and 60 minutes unguided) for free, as long as you commit to purchasing at least $8 per person in food or beverages.

I know I didn't answer your question, but I figured I'd share the info I learned about this location in case it benefits somebody else.

My GF and i were at playa uvas april 14th of this year. we loved it! we also did the snorkel/open bar option. the place is really nice if you just want to relax, have some good food and drinks, and do a little snorkeling. it's not really big, which was great in our minds. the property is laid out just right, with a pool, bar and seating area, and lounge chairs on the beach with umbrellas and even a couple hammocks under a little tiki type shelter that we loved laying in and just sipping on our drinks (we actually bought one of their hammocks before leaving). Carmen is probably who you'll first meet, and she is Awesome!! she made sure that we made the best of the short time we had (i think we were there for about 5-6 hours). wish we could have stayed longer. when we decided to snorkel, everyone else had already been out so we kind of got lucky and got our own little private guided tour with Daniel! he was really cool and made sure we got to see as much of the sea life as possible. i think we were out there almost 2 hours. i know my legs were tired by the end, but well worth it. alexander was our waiter and he was awesome, we never needed to leave our lounge chairs, hammocks, etc. he was always there with a drink ready for us. we're definately going back! if you want to avoid the large crowds and chaos and just have a nice relaxing time, this is the place!

We did an ATV tour last January that included beach time afterwards at Playa Uvas. We were there for only a short time. It was a nice place, we used their undoor showers to wash off the mud, and spent a little time in the water. We had soft drinks, (Pepsi products) and got dressed. They called a taxi for us. It was late and they were closing. We've considered going back for the day on a future cruise.

Sewut

hmmm, i can't remember how the open bar worked to be perfectly honest. i know that 2 of the 5 or so hours we were there were dedicated to snorkeling so that could be the case. i just know after 3 hours or so of mixed drinks and a few cervaza's thrown in we were definately good to go! ;) when it came to the open bar, this wasn't my 1st rodeo so i think i came out on the winning in of the entire deal.

Hi, I will re-post a review of Playa Uvas I wrote after visiting in February of

this year. They certainly didn't limit the open bar when we were there. They were offering us drinks from just after their opening until we left mid afternoon. Probably 5 or 6 hour in all. Here is the review:

DW and I were there in February and enjoyed ourselves. It was our first cruise and first time to Coz, so not much to compare it to. We did the AI day pass with the snorkel tour.

We knew it would be a busy day in port with 6 ships including two RCL monsters but we got in early. After shopping at Puerta Maya a little we took a cab to Playa Uvas and were there just after it opened at 10 or 11 local time, I don't remember. We paid extra for a locker and found an umbrella on the beach.

The place is pretty small but comfortable. It was busy, but not packed. We found it to be clean. Bathrooms were simple, but fine.

The snorkeling was just OK, with multiple coral heads separated by expanses of sandy bottom. We had just come from West Bay beach in Roatan, so it probably isn't fair to compare. I understand hurricane wilma was very hard on Chakanaab reef and it is slowly returning.

The tour was fine. They walked us north on the rocky beach about a quarter mile, took our shoes and then we floated with the current back to the resort with the guide pointing out some cool features along the way. There was a bit of a hard sell for tips at the end.

I have read numerous complaints about the rocky shore. Yes it's rocky. Not particularly sharp, but uneven and sandpapery rough. Probably not good for the elderly or small children. The sand bags help only a little but once you get in it's fine.

The place seemed to fill up quite a bit in the afternoon. They have glass bottom kayaks which are only for ship sponsored tours and there seemed to be a pretty steady pace of these folks coming through.

The lunch fajitas were good. We also ordered a some guacamole and chips for 5 bucks or so and they were also good, despite the guac being a little salty for my taste. The drinks kept coming with DW trying numerous fruity drinks at the waiter's suggestion and me drinking numerous dos equis drafts between un-guided snorkeling dips.

All-in-all we had a good time.

We have been to Playa Uvas before and it is a fairly good deal. It really depends on why you are going. If the snorkling is the big deal then Money Bar is a MUCH better option. Way more coral and fish and easier to get in and out. If you are going to drink A LOT then the Uvas deal is a good buy. We bring our own snorkle equipment, drink a few beers and an order of guac at the money bar and spend about $25 total. The cab fare is cheaper too since it isn't as far out.

Archived